Pit Bull Terrier
Nov 1, 2004
✟17,275.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
vanshan said:
If I don't have an Oriental market in the area, is the hoisin sauce at the supermarket okay? I've never tried it. I love the Siracha sauce . . . in college it was a staple condiment for my ramen noodles.

I use whatever el cheapo hoisin I can get my hands on. As far as I can tell, they all work.

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just made and ate some pretty delicious soup!

Do this, more or less:

In a large pot empty a can of green enchilada sauce
Add a goodly amount of water to make it broth-like
Add 4 or 5 big potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
Also throw in a few stalks of sliced celery
Add a few handfuls of raw lentils
Also a cut-up onion

Cook until the lentils and potatoes are done. Add salt to taste.

I had some unflavored Mexican TVP in on hand ("Carne de soya") which I also threw in.

This soup was delicious!

Love, Xenia

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lent is hard for me because I am the only Orthodox Christian in my family. I think a lot of us have this problem. When I get home from a long day at work and fix dinner, it's hard to fix two separate meals. Usually, I fix the family something ordinary, like chicken and rice or tacos or spaghetti and just eat toast myself, being too unmotivated to fix anything good for myself. And in the past I have yielded to temptation and broken the fast and chowed down on the non-Lenten foods my family was enjoying.

Well, I wanna do better! I spent the morning cooking and baking enough Lenten food to last me all week. I have a lot of vegan cookbooks, so I made corn muffins, banana-oat waffles, coffee cake and that soup I mentioned earlier. Later on I'm going to make a few more things. I think, with these things in the freezer, I might do a better job of keeping Lent this year.

-Xenia

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Pie-baking apron-clad hausfrau :D
Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey, all.:wave: I wanted to bake some cookies to share with catechism group tomorrow, but it is a Friday (fasting day), so I'm looking for eggless cookie recipes. I'm not having much luck. The ones labeled "Vegan" have weird things in them like sea salt, carob chips, vegan sugar, and vegan margerine. I can't afford to go out and buy weird things like that. Does anyone have a recipe they can share? I'm especially interested in a chocolate chip cookie recipe.

And....someone told me that applesauce can replace eggs in cookie recipes. Is this true? Does anyone know how much to use to replace each egg?

Thanks!:)

Upvote 0

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟20,768.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My wife's godmother, Rachel, told us that our matushka says you can make any cookie recipe lenten by replacing the eggs with one tablespoon of vinegar per egg. It sounds icky, but really it works great. I've had a normal chocolate chip recipe using this tip and they were great--you really couldn't tell any difference.

Basil

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

countrymouse33ad

Okay, took this one to church tonight for potluck, and got a compliment. Easy, too, since you can actually buy cans of Santa Fe Corn at Wally World!

Santa Fe Corn Soup

4 cans Santa Fe Corn
6 cups vegetable broth (I use homemade leek soup. Just stew some leeks for a couple hours.)
Fresh pepper to taste
1 or 2 teaspoons taco seasoning

Cook on stovetop on medium for an hour, or put it in a crockpot for the day or overnight. Add salt to taste.

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.recipesource.com/

A lot of the recipes are easily tweakable to be lenten...

Lots of ethnic recipes that from what I've seen with the Russian and Finnish ones pretty much correct...

I found the site when I was trying to find a recipes similiar to Matushka's poppy seed roll... man it was soooo good!

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is a pre-Orthodox recipe I cooked up. And one of my all-time favourites. I called it Cool Basil Green because it wasn't Hot Curry Red, which I also invented at the same time.

Ingredients:
Half cauldron of water
Lots of green lentils
Several onions
Handful of basil
Couple cloves of garlic (optional)
Lots of salt

Boil lentils in water. Add onions (later if you like them crunchier). Add basil, crushed garlic (it helps if you crush them before adding to the mix), and salt.

Boil until everything is mushy (save for the onions if you like them crunchier). Add water judiciously to prevent burning or sticking. Add more salt. Add more basil.

Serve! and enjoy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.