Family Opinion

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do your families think of your FH/FW? Did they take to them right away, did they learn to love them over time, or do they pretend your Future Spouse doesn't exist?

Do you put much worth into what your family thinks of the one you love? Has it affected relationships in the past?

For me, again - I'm not engaged! - my family loved him before we were dating, and his family loved me before we became bf and gf.

My mum gave us her blessing 2 weeks before we decided to begin our relationship, and the night we told them, my stepdad couldn't stop hugging me and telling me how wonderful my man was, and how happy he was.

His mum thinks I'm great, and, as she puts it 'has no qualms' (she tends to stay out of her sons relational lives, so long as they are happy). His dad and I get on fantastically. His grandma told him to 'keep her = she's good for you' before we got together (this was about 3 months before she died), and his brother thought it was 'about (insert bad word) time'!

I'm so thankful our families love both of us, and are fully supporting our relationship. His family doesn't ask any questions, but everytime I've seen my mum the 'w' word comes up - I don't mind one bit to tell you the truth!

How have you couples experienced family love/dislike? Did it change things?

Tell you what - it's so much easier this time, with families jubilant we are together.

Sasch

*heidi*

May 10, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟15,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I fit well into my HTB's family and they love me. He fits okay into mine, but not quite as well as I fit in his. My family just isn't as lovey dovey like that. However, I now think that my parents would not have picked this guy out for me if they were doing the picking, but he's just different to them. (I wasn't doing the picking though either!) I think they will like him more when they get to know him more how I know him. People aren't the same when you hardly know them. My parents can't really relate though because they were in completely different situations to us. I wish they liked him more and welcomed him more just because I love him, not because of what they (who barely know the real him) think of him.

I've never really thought about trying to prove my HTB's worthiness to my parents. I'm sure I could raise their opinion of him if I tried. I think it's more important to have a good relationships in your new family (you and your husband) than your childhood family. 110% approval and support would be nice from your parents, but you are leaving them to be with your husband, so yeh.

Upvote 0

nuarc

Cinnamon Hot
Jul 3, 2004
✟15,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My honey fits right into our family, and I fit into his. My parents love him, and His parents love me. I think we are so blessed and fortunate, but I have other friends who are going through a terrible time of it because their SOs are not liked for whatever reason by family members. As for family opinion, it is very important to us, but I dont know and cannot say that I would not get married if my parents didnt like him. I love him! He truly is the one for me.

Upvote 0