Cleveland, Oh
✟7,667.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay so I joined the RCIA and I will be confirmed in April the night before easter. I know I haven't posted here in a while but I'm back now and I have a question.

The woman who teaches the class is Sister Marie and last night we had a discussion on the 10 commandments. Since there is only ten of us in the class each one of us took a commandment and read up on it and explained what it meant.

I got number five, thou shalt not kill, and I found out that it also means not harming someone emotionally as WELL as Physically. Well I harm people all the time with my words, it's become second nature to me because of the hard life I've lead. I am a rather small person and they only recourse I have is verbal abuse, I cannot physically fight.

Not only that, but I'm breaking like 5 more commandments as we speak. Some of the things I am doing to break the fifth commandment (Don't worry I haven't killed anyone) I don't want to stop doing. I know I have to but I feel like it's justified. I guess what I'm asking is if you guys believe that harming someone's reputation with verbal/written word is breaking the fifth commandment and the 8th.

Also I want you guys for me to pray to have strength to change my actions and live more by the book. So all prayers are welcome.

Angelus00

Aug 29, 2002
na
Visit site
✟15,685.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Respectfully, verbal abuse IS in oppostion to the 5th commandment. Many do not WANT to stop their sinful behavior. It's not a matter of feeling "justified." Many feel justified in aborting a baby or taking what doesn't belong to them or....whatever. We're called to a higher standard. May Christ's peace be with you on your journey. Some have a much rockier journey than others and my prayers are with you.

Upvote 0

DedicatedLittleFaith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2006
Quebec,Canada
Visit site
✟28,906.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Respectfully, verbal abuse IS in oppostion to the 5th commandment. Many do not WANT to stop their sinful behavior. It's not a matter of feeling "justified." Many feel justified in aborting a baby or taking what doesn't belong to them or....whatever. We're called to a higher standard. May Christ's peace be with you on your journey. Some have a much rockier journey than others and my prayers are with you.
I agree with Angelus00. Having been a victim of verbal abuse myself, I can assure you it can leaves scars just has bad has physical harm.

Christ teaches us to love our enemies and turn the other cheek. It is difficult, I know, but it is what He asks of us. Jesus would not use verbal abuse to reprimand someone, and He asks us to foloow in His footsteps.

My prayers are with you dear friend :)

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟29,061.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The only recourse I have is verbal abuse, I cannot physically fight. I don't want to stop doing. I know I have to but I feel like it's justified.

Some words from Our Lord to ponder in your heart, dear sister:

"You must love your enemies"

"Do unto other as you would have them do unto you"

"Turn the other cheek"

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the Children of God"

:hug:
HofB

Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus would be quite justified throwing all of us in hell for all eternity. But instead He showed mercy and compassion, and we are called to do the same.
hi,
you may rethink your statement 'ALL OTHER CHURCHES' protesting....
may i remind you that the primar of the church of england(anglican in australia) have celebrated hl. mass together!
norbie

Upvote 0

JoyforJESUS

Jesus Others Yourself
Nov 28, 2006
Cumberland Maryland
✟42,655.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I do not belong to your faith group

but I will tell you what I was taught and believe (as my religion teaches)

WE SIN BY THOUGHT, WORD AND DEED

it is a sin to harm someone verbally, and to say "I wish he were dead"

Just my thoughts'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

chnchris

I got number five, thou shalt not kill, and I found out that it also means not harming someone emotionally as WELL as Physically. Well I harm people all the time with my words...
I guess what I'm asking is if you guys believe that harming someone's reputation with verbal/written word is breaking the fifth commandment and the 8th.

Read what James 3: 6-10 has to say:

The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

JMJ+
chris

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
The things that make a sin serious ....
accept the temptation , dwell upon it , then do it ...

Jesus said " you have been instructed , but I say to you " he who thinks upon sin is already guilty ... for what you think & meditate upon you will do ...

Matthew 5.26Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

27Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some of the things I am doing to break the fifth commandment (Don't worry I haven't killed anyone) I don't want to stop doing. I know I have to but I feel like it's justified. I guess what I'm asking is if you guys believe that harming someone's reputation with verbal/written word is breaking the fifth commandment and the 8th.

Also I want you guys for me to pray to have strength to change my actions and live more by the book. So all prayers are welcome.

Please know that I'm no saint -- there is no halo over my head. I am a sinner saved by grace who, with the Lord's help, am working to straighten out my life ever more and become the holy being he has designed me to be.

May I suggest that you look for courses in assertiveness training? They will help you find that appropriate boundary between respecting yourself and having others respect you, and being disrespectful to others in your need for respect. It is not at all unusual for people who have been badly hurt, especially if they are the vulnerable sort, to have developed harmful and ineffective ways to protect themselves. Scripture says, "A wise man has many counselors." Seek them out.

There is a time and place for telling the truth about someone's bad deeds -- if you need to protect yourself, them, or another from harm. Otherwise, even if it is true, spreading stories about them is a form of gossip, "evil tongue." It is listed in scripture right next to idolatry, adultery, homosexuality, etc.

May the One who heals lepers and raises the dead bring healing to your soul.

Shalom

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is if harming someone's reputation with verbal/written word is breaking the fifth commandment and the 8th.

If you do a word search for "calumny" in the on-line CCC you should get the answer to that question.

Peace.

:crossrc:

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Okay so I joined the RCIA and I will be confirmed in April the night before easter. I know I haven't posted here in a while but I'm back now and I have a question.

The woman who teaches the class is Sister Marie and last night we had a discussion on the 10 commandments. Since there is only ten of us in the class each one of us took a commandment and read up on it and explained what it meant.

I got number five, thou shalt not kill,

If I may interject, according to the book of Exodus in chapter 20, the fifth commandment is to honor you father and mother (Ex. 20:12). Murder is commandment number 6.

and I found out that it also means not harming someone emotionally as WELL as Physically. Well I harm people all the time with my words, it's become second nature to me because of the hard life I've lead. I am a rather small person and they only recourse I have is verbal abuse, I cannot physically fight.

Jesus also reiterated this point in the Gospels as well when He 'spiritualized' the meaning of the 10 Commandments to include are everyday actions.

Mat 5:21 ¶ Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Mat 5:27 ¶ Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Not only that, but I'm breaking like 5 more commandments as we speak. Some of the things I am doing to break the fifth commandment (Don't worry I haven't killed anyone) I don't want to stop doing.

If you've broken one then you've already broken them all!

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all

James 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

I know I have to but I feel like it's justified. I guess what I'm asking is if you guys believe that harming someone's reputation with verbal/written word is breaking the fifth commandment and the 8th.

Yes, because you are entertaining disobeidence to the Word of God and yielding to your sinful, carnal nature. Seek help from the Holy Spirit.

I'll gladly pray for you but there is nothing you can change on your own outside of the help of Jesus Christ.

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
[bible]Exodus 20:1-17[/bible]

Please make sure you are using a :ebil: Roman Catholic Bible as we don't list the 10 Commandments the same as the Protestants.

The Protestants have changes them some what.

Merry Christmas
:angel:

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I would like to add that sin is in varying degrees. We have different levels of venial sin and different levels of mortal sin. Sometimes a thing seen as veneial sin can become mortal sin when great harm is done.

To give a quick example I just thought up...

If we gossip and/or tells stories of others we can be guilty of veneial sin when we attack their reputation. Also if we attack someone's reputation and it leads to some serious results to that person and those around him/her we can find that the venial sin becomes mortal sin. Say for example you are an employees boss and you ruin this employees repuation. This could result in this employee losing their job and source of income and also that they cannot easily find a job because of this a rumor the boss started. Not only could this affect this employees well being but if they have dependentst then those as well.

Upvote 0