veganbunny

Dec 25, 2006
hertfordshire
✟7,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
When some people find out that I am vegan, they automaticly think that I am an animal rights extremist (the type that breaks the law).

But of course I am a law- abiding Christian, and am starting to go to church on a regular basis. Do you ever get stero-typed for being vegetarian/ vegan/ an animal lover?

Others tell me that I shouldn't be Christian if I am vegan, as Christians should eat meat, and that the bible says so.

healthygirl88

Oct 25, 2006
✟8,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the Bible doesn't tell you to eat meat. if someone tells you that ask them what about the Bible story about daniel and how he asked the king if he can eat only vegetables instead of meatand wine because he wanted to follow God and in the end he was stronger and healthier than the people who were fed the meat and wine.

Upvote 0
J

Jedidah

Well there's definately no command in the bible to eat meat. In fact, after the creation story in Genesis God tells the humans that they can eat all the plants and doesn't say they can eat meat. Then He describes His vegetarian creation as "very good". I've seen some Christians say that there was no sin or death in the Garden of Eden at this time and so all the animals were vegetarian too. The first time God said humans can eat meat was after the flood...which of course if there was a literal flood they'd have to either eat meat or starve because all the vegetation would have been destroyed. I was reading one article the other day in which the writer argued that Christians should be vegetarian because it's how the sinless world was as well as something which will make us better stewards of Gods creation and help feed the poor. So anyway, there's no way that a Christian is commanded to eat meat.

As for being thought of as an animal rights extremist...I don't think anyone's thought of me in such a way yet. I've had some funny looks from some people. Also immense amounts of nagging from my mum after I told her I'd gone veggie (she keeps nagging me to eat fish "because Auntie K eats fish and she's vegetarian"...erm yeah :scratch: ). Though I think that maybe she would get scared I was heading in an animal rights extremist direction if I told her that my dislike for deceased animals extends further than my diet.

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
People always think I'm an extremist of some kind when I tell them that I don't eat any meat. I support animal rights but the way to campaign for them is not through breaking the law. But yeah, people often think that I'm going to break into labs and liberate rats and things.
I don't see why you can't be vegetarian and Christian. People might try and tell you that you have canine teeth, so it's your natural purpose to eat meat, but it's a very poor argument.

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟25,957.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We see animals specifically mentioned as being given as food after the flood.

Gen 9:3 Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

And the Hebrews were specifically commanded to eat the Passover Lamb, you could not keep the Law and not eat meat.

But we, as Christians, are not under a law, and so we are not required to eat meat. It is an area of freedom.

I just thought I would give the references because I find that often people make conclusions to promote their choice of diet that are not supportable from scripture.

It is not supportable that we either shouldn't or must eat meat.

Marv

Upvote 0

QuakerOats

— ♥ — Living in Love — ♥ —
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟18,314.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
I think a lot of vegetarians, vegans, etc., get stereotyped as the ultimate extremist because they're generally the crowd that makes the most noise, thus garnering the most attention, and that's pretty much true for any group, as I'm sure many of you well know. It's happened to me a couple of times, and I'm sure even after hearing my reasons, some still think I'm [a] whacko, but I'm cool with that.

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟25,957.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well some are wacko's so to speak. I think it's a news media thing, we see the extremists. Most people don't fit into that.

One thing that does bother me though is how many are out there using vegetarianism and veganism to promote false religions. Some people's teaching is just filled with New Age mysticism. And I get worried because I often hear Christians parroting the New Age teachings.

One big area of that is for instance the word Organic. Agriculture is what I do, I'm intimately involved in it as the basic level. I have spent a lot of time studying it. You know why Organic makes a distinction with man made fertilizers and chemicals? It's because it is believed that things as found in nature have a life force that is lacking in man made things and this life force is really what nourishes your life force and so you can take two foods, which will test exactly the same nutritionally and the one nourishes your life force and the other doesn't depending on what was used to produce it.

You of course can't measure that life force, that is unless you go and have your aura read by a New Age mystic.

You get a lot of other things mixed in by a lot of people, a heavy streak of anti-establishment by some for instance. This is the only explanation why many antibiotics which are organic under every definition of the word are prohibited from use in animal agriculture by the Organic movement. You know what the latest is? It's been approved for organic animal production to grow mold cultures and feed them to your animals. Know what that is? That's growing the fungi that produce antibiotics and feeding them to the animals to get the increased performance of feeding animals anitbiotics. It's actually exactly what organic agriculture has complained about people doing in what they would call chemical agriculture, only you get rid of much of the quality control. You don't have a good handle on dosage or strength or even which antibiotics are being produced. If it was bad to feed antibiotics why did they now approve doing just exactly that in organic production. Get's back to what man does is bad as the basic philosophy. Antibiotics given in a controlled dosage with a syringe or orally-bad, antibiotics fed as a product of molds-good.

It's pretty dangerous because get contamination in your culture or change the conditions and you move from getting the antibiotics to getting some rather powerful carcinogens. We've been really reducing those fungal carcinogens and people's exposure to them over the years so we see a significant drop in throat and stomach cancers were those types of carcinogens have their strongest effects. Now organic is going to bring them back.

But anyway, many people misunderstand, they think organic means no pesticides, it does not, and they think organic means no fertilizers it does not. Or they confuse it with other things like the social movements that seem to have latched on to organic, such as local production, but those are not the foundational teachings. You can't get certified organic by selling your produce locally, or by not using chemicals, you get it by following a New Age philosophy. For the roots you need to go back to biodynamic farming. Now many of the agencies that certify you organic will also certify you biodynamic, and the theories was that you could make composts that acted as medicine to heal the sick earth. It's interesting stuff, mix a with b put it in a cow's horn and bury it for several months. Anyway http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/biodynamic.html#the is a government website that gives background on biodynamic farming and tells a bit of it's links to organic.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that nonorganic or nonbiodynamic agriculture is perfect or couldn't be better or doesn't have people who are just flat out a danger to society and the world. I'm not saying that at all. But I have a real problem with people telling me that the fix to agriculture is to adopt a New Age religion and it's philosophies. I really find it strange that separation of church and state doesn't apply when it's New Age. We see the government pouring money into it. If you were a Christian out there telling people to be good stewards of the Earth you won't get a dime.

There are just so many out there that concerning agriculture present half truths at best. I will use an example that I'm sure you as vegetarians have all heard. That is the assumption that if you just didn't eat meat there would be so much more food in the world.

Well, it's a simple thing that is the foundation of that. If you take a cow in a feedlot and feed it grain, it takes quite a few lbs of grain to produce a lb of beef. So if we stop there, we can conclude that eating beef means there isn't as much food.

But it's more complicated than that. On a world basis, there are 4 acres that can be grazed for every acre that can be farmed for crops. If we eliminate meat, or meat and milk, then those acres will produce nothing. How much grain on a world basis goes into the average lb of beef on a world basis, well we know it's about 3/10th of a lb of grain used for feeding cattle for each 1 lb of beef produced. A lb of beef has a lot more nutrition in it for people than 3/10th of a lb of grain. So people are using a special case, and trying to extend it to a general truth.

The most food in the world would be eat meat, and use less grain produced from cropland to feed it. Though that too can get to be more complicated than it would seem.

Or you hear things that sound like cattle are destroying the world, how much water is used or whatever. Well probably the most wasteful food you can find anywhere is lettuce. It uses huge quantities of resources and is almost devoid of nutrition other than giving you some fiber. Even the so called better lettuces make cattle look extremely efficient on a resource basis compared to nutritional value.

Do many people eat more meat than they should, yep, I can't really imagine arguing against that at least in the US, there are areas of the world where the biggest step up in health would be to include more meat in the diet, but here in the US people have no real need to eat so much, and in general they would be helped with eating more fruits and vegetables.

Though that is somewhat of a problem because the most common cause of food poisoning is fruits and vegetables. It's a problem that they are subject to contamination, and water, especially around the world, is not fit in many cases to eat or drink.

Marv

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When some people find out that I am vegan, they automaticly think that I am an animal rights extremist (the type that breaks the law).

But of course I am a law- abiding Christian, and am starting to go to church on a regular basis. Do you ever get stero-typed for being vegetarian/ vegan/ an animal lover?

Others tell me that I shouldn't be Christian if I am vegan, as Christians should eat meat, and that the bible says so.

That in itself is a stereotype. All animal rights activists are not extremists.
There is a difference between civil disobedience and breaking the law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yardstick

Episcopalian
Oct 12, 2008
Kansas City, MO
✟8,539.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between civil disobedience and breaking the law.

Wrong.

The whole point of civil disobedience is to break an unjust law to demonstrate that it is unjust.

It's a good thing Martin Luther King Jr. wasn't shy about breaking the law as a Christian.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Stirred fried meat and vegetables in melted canola butter spread as cooking oil is my favorite cooking style. The vegeterian perception on meat needs a much clearer perception. I believe meat is a chemically transformed condensed vegetable with the essential B12 vitamin not mostly available in natural fruit and vegetables. Vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to health problems such as anemia.:cool::liturgy:

Upvote 0