Amish Survived COVID Better Than Most by Never Locking Down, Shuttering Churches

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,626.00
Faith
Atheist
Seems rather arbitrary. They really don't know which deaths are from covid.
Do you think there may have been some other fatal disease that happened to coincide with Covid, or that they took part in more dangerous activities during the pandemic?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think there may have been some other fatal disease that happened to coincide with Covid, or that they took part in more dangerous activities during the pandemic?
I think people continued dying from other causes also.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,626.00
Faith
Atheist
which we don't have stats on, so we really don' know how many amish died, let alone how many of it was covid related.
I gave a link to a paper devoted to the Amish excess deaths statistics as "...a means to estimate the lethality of COVID-19 (directly and indirectly)"; so yes, we do have stats on excess deaths.

• Informative
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟464,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess if you look long enough then you'll find something to support whatever view you have.

'The Amish communities of northeast Ohio engage in textbook communal living. Families eat, work and go to church together, and through the pandemic, mask-wearing and social distancing have been spotty. As a result, these communities have experienced some of the state's highest rates of infection and deaths.' COVID-19 Has Hit The Amish Community Hard. Still, Vaccines Are A Tough Sell

'Claims on social media that the Amish population has not been affected by COVID-19 are false. Such claims have been used to suggest that vaccines are futile.' Fact Check-Amish communities have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic

That took me all of a few seconds to find. Now either you copied your info from some social media site or you would have known about those two reports (almost the first two that come up if you search 'Amish covid'.

We generally expect some doubling down at this stage.
Got actual numbers regarding the Amish on this?

Your article with the scary headline is in reality, blissfully fact free. No numbers. Just speculations.

All I could find (Ohio):
"This county is part of the Greater Holmes County Area Settlement, which is home to 36,955 people, the largest Amish population in the state.

The research found seven members of the community tested positive for COVID-19 in early May 2020. This prompted an additional 30 people to get tested, with 23 (77%) returning positive results."

So thirty people out of about 37,000 tested positive. Not a word about sickness, hospitalization, or death. They just tested positive, like millions have.

So the Amish "have been affected" but no stats on how that played out. Fact Check-Amish communities have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic

Please cite the section somewhere where specific Amish stats are laid out, because I cannot find them.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟464,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Holmes county in Ohio 125 deaths
on coronavirus.ohio.gov

I couldn't copy the chart
Ok, what is the Amish population compared to the local population? Numbers? How many were just positive? How many hospitalized? How many died of covid - not had covid but died of a heart attack? We need numbers

People posting huge charts of multiple stats from all over the country laid out by county (that no one knows unless native) are not useful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,626.00
Faith
Atheist
Ok, what is the Amish population compared to the local population? Numbers? How many were just positive? How many hospitalized? How many died of covid - not had covid but died of a heart attack? We need numbers

People posting huge charts of multiple stats from all over the country laid out by county (that no one knows unless native) are not useful.
The paper mentioned in the link I gave earlier analyzed the deaths published in the Amish & Mennonite weekly newspaper of record 'The Budget', across North America, and gives the figures for Ohio which contains the second and fourth largest Amish settlements in the USA (home to approximately 23% of the US Amish population, but contributing 56% of the total obituaries published in 'The Budget'). Here's the graph for Ohio, number of deaths by month and year (from this paper):

10943_2021_1307_Fig1_HTML.jpg

Upvote 0

Bradskii

I have become comfortably numb.
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟264,178.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Got actual numbers regarding the Amish on this?

If I'm given a comment that's wrong, I'll refute it. I was and I did. If I'm given some figures that are wrong, I'll refute them. I wasn't. So I haven't.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟464,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
go to the website posted in #108
see the rectangular boxes
click on covid 19 dashboard
put in holmes county
So you know nothing about the stats, but still had an opinion, and wish to just tell me where to go look. Gotcha.

Huge site. Sure...

There is no "covid 19 dashboard" that I can see. I clicked on the tiny "state and county case rates" buried in a paragraph. A huge table of counties come up under Case Rates per 100,000 Residents. There is NO "Holmes County" there. I'm not spending hours clicking on everything trying to find out what YOU are asserting as truthful.

You are going to have to the work here to support your own assertion.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟464,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, at least you have something here to look at.

"Holmes County in northeastern Ohio has the worst vaccination rate in the state — just 17% — and yet, the county has the state’s lowest rate of COVID spread.

For Holmes County’s roughly 23,000 Amish citizens — nearly half the county — COVID-19 is a fact of life.
Curiously, according to state data, Holmes County has the lowest per capita rate of COVID in the state – 314 cases per 100,000 residents. That’s well below the statewide average."

Sounds like they are doing pretty darn well to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟464,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If I'm given a comment that's wrong, I'll refute it. I was and I did. If I'm given some figures that are wrong, I'll refute them. I wasn't. So I haven't.
So you are just saying it. Not supporting your assertions in any way.

You just cited two articles that say nothing except ...some Amish got infected.

Well, ok.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟464,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
the website is easy to use & I spelled it out for you
if I can do it (husband says I'm technology challenged), anyone can!

Saw NO covid dashboard. If you can link it, fine. I am NOT particularly technology challenged, actually.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

I have become comfortably numb.
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟264,178.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you are just saying it. Not supporting your assertions in any way.

You just cited two articles that say nothing except ...some Amish got infected.

Well, ok.

The op made a claim. I typed in 'covid amish' and the very first two articles that came up were those to which I linked and they refuted the op's claim. Pointing out how easy it was to refute was the end of the matter as far as I was concerned. I've zero interest in digging up specific covid data for obscure religious groups to perpetuate this thread.

Upvote 0