Amazon's 'LOTR on Prime' Is Not Adhering to J.R.R. Tolkien's Vision for Middle Earth

prd94

Jun 5, 2021
Pittsburgh
✟8,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Hi All!

I am a Middle Earth geek. Not over the top in the sense of knowing every elvish language that J.R.R. Tolkien ever wrote, but I don't know of any fantasy lore that comes close to The Lord of the Rings world. Primarily this is because of Tolkien's beliefs and how they affected his writing. As a result of Tolkien's faith, he focused on creating a storyline with very redeemable qualities, such as courage, bravery, friendship, trust, and hope. This is definitely an abbreviated list. I believe that any rendition of Tolkien's work should be made out of respect for his vision for Middle Earth. 'LOTR on Prime' is the unofficial title of the show Amazon Studios is making on Tolkien's world. Amazon has hired an intimacy coordinator who will be sexualizing the show and making sure people will be comfortable with sexual acts. 'Sex sells,' so why wouldn't Amazon include it, especially if the company wants to compete with Game of Thrones. Here are some issues I have with this: 1) This is unbiblical, and thus against what Tolkien believed. 2) Tolkien never used sex or nudity to entertain his readers. 3) How Amazon is writing the show will forever change, for the worse, the way people think about Middle Earth. Tolkien wrote his stories so that all ages would read them (i.e. The Hobbit for kids, and The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion more for adults).

Therefore, I started a petition against risqué content in Amazon's Middle Earth show. Here is a Facebook group that I started for this movement. Please join it and share it with others!

facebook.com/groups/keepmiddlearthclean

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,427.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There's a background level of dread I feel whenever I'm reminded of Amazon's LOTR. They are going to insert as much progressive nonsense into this and if that is the case simply don't watch it. Know i won't.

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
It really is unfortunate. I finally made it through the Silmarillion in it's entirety by reading with a group of friend and thought that it would make a great movie, specifically the Helcaraxe, but Amazon is certainly not the one to do it, particularly if they're trying a sexy approach.

There's a background level of dread I feel whenever I'm reminded of Amazon's LOTR. They are going to insert as much progressive nonsense into this and if that is the case simply don't watch it. Know i won't.
Interesting take. Can't say I resonate with that particular fear. As a progressive, I simply don't use Amazon to buy, sell, or watch, lecherous parasites that they are.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Seattle area.
✟625,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I expect this to be put into a another Xena type format, like they did with Legend of the Seeker and the Shannara Chronicles etc. Or worse try making it like GOT. It would be cool if they did something like the LOTRO Shadows of Angmar storyline, but nah, not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums