Visit site
✟90,060.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter confessed Jesus was the Christ. Jesus responded graciously in (ESV) Mat 16:

19 I will give you the keys
Keys symbolize closing and opening with binding and loosing.

of the kingdom of heaven,
i.e., the coming church

and whatever you [Peter, singular] bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
shall beἔσται (estai)Verb - Future Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular

boundδεδεμένον (dedemenon)Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Neuter Singular

The grammar shows a future perfect periphrastic construct.

What kind of power was given to Peter in the context of the church?

It was the power to articulate the will in heaven concerning the church.

Berean Literal Bible:

I will give to you the keys of the kingdom of the heavens, and whatever you might bind on the earth shall have been bound in the heavens, and whatever you might loose on the earth shall have been loosed in the heavens."
Amplified Bible:

I will give you the keys (authority) of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind [forbid, declare to be improper and unlawful] on earth will have [already] been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose [permit, declare lawful] on earth will have [already] been loosed in heaven.”
After Jesus' resurrection, the church started to grow. An example of this authority happened in Acts 10:

10 And he [Peter] became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance 11 and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth.
The initiative came from above, not from Peter.

12 In it were all kinds of animals, reptiles, and birds of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” 14 But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” 15 And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.”
Peter was empowered to declare that foods and Gentiles were clean.

Jesus repeated that binding and loosing language in Matthew 18:18

Truly, I say to you [apostles, plural], whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
On this occasion, what kind of power was given to the apostles?

Same thing. It was the power to articulate the will in heaven concerning the church.

An example of this authority happened at the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15:

28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.
In this case, the initiative comes from the apostles and the Holy Spirit. This is reflected in the ambiguity of the future perfect tense. It is also the concept of Co-Reality, where both the vertical and horizontal realities play a part.

See also For from now there will have been five in one house divided

Reactions: Ed Parenteau

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟55,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Peter was empowered to declare that foods and Gentiles were clean.
When you post in error dramatically like this, what is wrong with that ? It is certainly not good to do, adding to or taking from God's Word !

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟55,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is also the concept of Co-Reality, where both the vertical and horizontal realities play a part.
No, the vertical and horizontal lines will not / did not/ do not/ keep someone from posting errors, seriously.

Upvote 0