Dallas
✟902,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The use of lethal violence in self-defense is perhaps not as morally gray as we might think. The 6th Commandment is "Do not murder." When, then, does taking another life constitute murder?

Before we begin, take none of what follows as legal advice. Laws vary. If anyone wants to know what the law says, ask a local lawyer. Don't get your information here.

Let us suppose someone breaks into your home and you have reason to believe your life is in danger and the only way to eliminate the danger is to take his life. That's what most of us think of as self-defense.

Now let's supposed someone breaks into your house, sees you there, says "I don't want no trouble," and flees. Would it be self-defense to shoot him? I don't think it would, since the person is no longer a threat.

Now let's say someone breaks into your home, you have reason to believe your life is in danger, and wound the person. The person is laying there, incapacitated. Would a foillow-up shot to kill him be self-defense? I don't think it would, again because the person is no longer a threat.

The common thread here is whether your life is in danger and whether the person remains a threat. If it's not in danger, then I think it's murder, not self-defense.

In the same way, if someone starts a fight and then pulls a weapon and shoots the other person, I don't think that's self-defense.

Nor is it self-defense is someone has taken your stuff and is running away. They aren't a threat. Is your stuff worth someone else's life? I don't think so.

Again, none of the above is legal advice. If you want legal advice, talk to a local lawyer.

It doesn't necessarily follow that reducing the number of firearms reduces fatal violence. 19th Century laws against Bowie knives doesn't seem to have reduced the mayhem. At the time, the lurid press portrayed them as dueling weapons, but by the 19th Century dueling was already frowned upon. That's why Aaron Burr had to go on the lam after shooting Alexander Hamilton. Even in 1804 such was frowned upon. Similarly the famous (or infamous) Vidalia Sandbar Fight happened where Samuel Wells and Thomas Maddox thought there was a question of legal jurisdiction and they could get away with it. Yet incidents seemed to have decreased, judging by the lurid stories in the press. Given that the British had a ready market for Bowie knives in the US and that any competent blacksmith could make one, neither laws nor the availability of knives had an impact in reducing incidents. Again, if the press can be trusted, the stories they did report happened despite laws designed to curb such.

I don't think we need to go over the lack of success of 20th Century laws banning switchblades in reducing gang violence. Any difficulty in obtaining switchblades was offset by other means.

That's how such things work. The problem is the intent to do harm, and that exists regardless of the weapon. We had ready access to firearms in an age when you could buy them through the mail without going through a firearms dealer and knowledge of how to use them, and we never considered such things touted today as an excuse to ban firearms. If availability is the problem there should have been more incidents when there was easier access to firearms than there is now.

I don't think it's a coincidence that such things increased after banning religious instruction in public school. The way things are now, that's apt to cause howls of protest even in the Christians' section, but there is it. We at least had memories of such instruction after such was banned, and I'm convinced that made a positive difference.
I live in a 2 story house and all of my family sleeps upstairs. So if I wake up and hear someone downstairs I’m gonna holler downstairs “the cops are on their way, take whatever you want but don’t come upstairs”. I didn’t buy a gun to protect my property and I don’t want to kill anyone for trying to take material possessions because I don’t want to stand before The Father and have to explain why I killed someone for trying to take my tv or my laptop. When you kill someone who’s not saved you seal their fate in the lake of fire and I don’t want that on my conscience, not for a tv or a stereo. But if they come upstairs and they know I’m up there, that tells me that they’re definitely intending to do harm to me or my family and I’m not gonna sit by and allow that to happen. I’ll stand before The Lord for that because me and my family are innocent and He doesn’t have any problems with people protecting the innocent.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟902,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My Sheriff in a county I once lived in told me that more people are murdered with cars in his county than with guns. I said he must be using the wrong terminology, that there are more homicides by cars than by guns. He told me no, and that he very well understands the distinction. He expanded on that and said that it was the weapon of choice of women who want to murder their husbands.

It all goes to intent.
Man I always thought she’d poison me or catch me in my sleep. Lol

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,768,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I do not hunt, so I can not make any comments. But yeah, if you want to use a military weapon to hunt elk, I'm not gonna stop you, but it is a little overkill. Sometimes, patience is a virtue. Anyways, I will step out of here, cos I am not a fan of auto/semi-autos being allowed for civilians.
For someone that does not hunt you are wiser than most.

My husband hunts and you are absolutely correct. You do not use that weapon to hunt an animal. The way it is shot is important and affects the meat. Anyone hunting with that weapon is not eating their kill. I don’t know how they could.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,210.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I have heard of mass stabbings, but you can potentially outrun a knife, not hundreds of Mach 2 bullets per minute. Yeah, Iceland knows what they are doing, and has a lower inequality rate compared to the US.

A knife terrorist only has to go after the slowest.

If the incident happened in a very crowded place, not many will be able to run away and the panic can cause a stampede which can potentially kill way more people than the knife itself.

Even a baseball bat can kill.

Yes, inequality makes everything that more stressful. Make people feel more unsecure, fearful, and prone to emotional outbursts. It bares everyone's ugly side making everyone hate each other. Thus, inequality is hatred. A culture that promotes inequality is a culture of hatred. That's what USA have. There are way more tools than guns and knives that makes it much easier to kill. I won't list them to avoid giving anyone terrible ideas.

Banning guns won't fix the problem. Fixing the culture of hate would.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

My husband hunts and you are absolutely correct. You do not use that weapon to hunt an animal. The way it is shot is important and affects the meat. Anyone hunting with that weapon is not eating their kill. I don’t know how they could.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,768,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You like that wild taste and the flavor of broken bones and the flavor that releases, go for it.

I’ll step out of this thread as well. I find it full of fantasy and little reality. YouTube videos do little for me on this topic. God bless! :wave:

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You like that wild taste and the flavor of broken bones and the flavor that releases, go for it.

I’ll step out of this thread as well. I find it full of fantasy and little reality. God bless! :wave:
Fantasy? Not on my end. Watch the second video for a dose of reality.

I can prove that bigger bullets at higher velocities, do more damage, all day long. If you are still not convinced of reality after watching the second video; let me know; and I'll show you some more.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟902,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A .223 round isn’t a large caliber, it’s actually smaller than most hunting rifles, and just because someone has a semi automatic doesn’t mean that they’re going to spray their target with lead. The point of having a semi automatic is so that you can get a second shot off quickly if you miss. When your shooting at a target from a long distance and your having to compensate for the target’s movement and wind velocity you have to lead the target and often your first shot is going to miss. With any luck you’ll be able to see where the first shot hit and adjust your aim accordingly. With a single shot you don’t have a chance at reloading fast enough and with a lever action or a bolt action your looking at at least 5 seconds to reload and get your sights back on target. With a semi automatic that time is cut to maybe 1 or 2 seconds which makes a huge difference in a wooded area.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟191,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, sorry for making that statement. But, I still feel that an AK or AR is not necessary for hunting deer. It is an excuse for guys (or gals) to show off.
Watch "Life Below Zero," they use AR-15's for hunting all the time.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You do not hear people saying let's ban cars and yet they kill more people a year than AR-15s do by a mile.
I get what you are saying. Since everyone owns a car they won't see the logic and since half the country doesn't own guns they can blame the guns. When someone drives drunk or high and kills another they lose driving privileges and go to jail. The same thing goes for weapons other than self-defense when someone kills another person it's due to their mental state and usually end up in jail.

I feel looking at guns is a distraction from the real problem, why is everyone mental? Why the desire to kill others? When I was young "rednecks" had rifles on full display in the high school parking lot on gun racks. I'm sure my father's generation had more guns than mine and so forth.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟910,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is the purpose of cars?
transportion but the fact still is MANY MANY more people are killed by cars each year than are killed by guns particular semiautomic guns and particularly when you are talking about true mass shootings. Of the people killed each year by guns better than half are by their own hand. Sad certainly, but ery few of those people are intent on taking anyone else with them. Though of course there are exceptions where murder-suicide comes into play.

Another large group comes from people (who may or may not be in gangs) committing other crimes and using the gun well those people A (often though not always are not legally allowed to have the gun anyway as they are many times ( though not always convicted felons and even if they are not people who are alrady breaking the law could get a gun if they REALLY wanted to anyway called the black market. There is another set of deaths with guns that sadly would have probably happened one way or another because person A really wanted person(s B ECT dead think personal issues situations where a person hates a particular person to the point that they would use any means.
There is another set of deaths that are what are known as negligent discharge( these would be a situation where a person is killed because someone or they or another person failed to follow firearm safety. This could be because the gun was loaded and they did not realize and the safety was off. This could be a situation where a very young kid comes across and gun and thinks it is a toy and a person is killed ( very few firearm discharges are true blue accidents where literally the gun just went off. In cases of negligent discharge where a person is killed usually the owner of the firearm (if different of course) can face charges for what is known as either negligent homicide or involuntary manslaughter ( same crime different states)

Finally ther are what are called justifiable or justified homicide This would be a situation where a person could be a police officer or a civilian shoots and kills someone because they fear ( reasonably for their or others safety basically the person that is killed is engaging in criminal behavor that a reasonable person would fear death or serious bodily injury to themselves or others if the threat is not stopped (or it is a situation involing the castle doctrine where a person shoots and kills someone who has (or is trying to break-in to their home, business or vehicle and someone is inside.

When you take all of those deaths togather really VERY few deaths are the type of deaths that banning guns ( in particular semiauatic guns would really prevent as most gun deaths are by handguns anyway which as it happens ALREADY have stricter reguations anyway

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
transportion but the fact still is MANY MANY more people are killed by cars each year than are killed by guns particular semiautomic guns and particularly when you are talking about true mass shootings. Of the people killed each year by guns better than half are by their own hand. Sad certainly, but ery few of those people are intent on taking anyone else with them. Though of course there are exceptions where murder-suicide comes into play.

Another large group comes from people (who may or may not be in gangs) committing other crimes and using the gun well those people A (often though not always are not legally allowed to have the gun anyway as they are many times ( though not always convicted felons and even if they are not people who are alrady breaking the law could get a gun if they REALLY wanted to anyway called the black market. There is another set of deaths with guns that sadly would have probably happened one way or another because person A really wanted person(s B ECT dead think personal issues situations where a person hates a particular person to the point that they would use any means.
There is another set of deaths that are what are known as negligent discharge( these would be a situation where a person is killed because someone or they or another person failed to follow firearm safety. This could be because the gun was loaded and they did not realize and the safety was off. This could be a situation where a very young kid comes across and gun and thinks it is a toy and a person is killed ( very few firearm discharges are true blue accidents where literally the gun just went off. In cases of negligent discharge where a person is killed usually the owner of the firearm (if different of course) can face charges for what is known as either negligent homicide or involuntary manslaughter ( same crime different states)

Finally ther are what are called justifiable or justified homicide This would be a situation where a person could be a police officer or a civilian shoots and kills someone because they fear ( reasonably for their or others safety basically the person that is killed is engaging in criminal behavor that a reasonable person would fear death or serious bodily injury to themselves or others if the threat is not stopped (or it is a situation involing the castle doctrine where a person shoots and kills someone who has (or is trying to break-in to their home, business or vehicle and someone is inside.

When you take all of those deaths togather really VERY few deaths are the type of deaths that banning guns ( in particular semiauatic guns would really prevent as most gun deaths are by handguns anyway which as it happens ALREADY have stricter reguations anyway

Your Dept. of transportation says there are 1,100,000,000 trips in cars every day in the US. There are 107 fatal car crashes a day.
That is a lethal usage of: 0.000097%
Now, consider the tremendous amount that cars add to your culture and economy.

Try that with guns. I'm curious if that data is comparable.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There is no nuke launcher attachment for the AR-15; but it's too late. The Reds are already here; and the Russians, who are posing as non-Communists are the strongest nuclear power in the world.

So can we get back on topic now?

Can I make fun of the topic?

I find the idea of saying everyone, let alone anyone, needs an AR-15 ridiculous to the highest caliber. Pun intended. Nobody needs an AR-15. Nobody needs a gun at all. People can want guns, they can think "Oh I like my big boom boom stick, it is shiny". But nobody needs one.

You know what everyone needs? Food, medical care, shelter, clothing, clean drinking water. That's what people, everyone in fact, needs.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟902,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can I make fun of the topic?

I find the idea of saying everyone, let alone anyone, needs an AR-15 ridiculous to the highest caliber. Pun intended. Nobody needs an AR-15. Nobody needs a gun at all. People can want guns, they can think "Oh I like my big boom boom stick, it is shiny". But nobody needs one.

You know what everyone needs? Food, medical care, shelter, clothing, clean drinking water. That's what people, everyone in fact, needs.

-CryptoLutheran
This is like saying we don’t need seatbelts in vehicles. So what do you do when someone is trying to kill you and your loved ones?

• Useful
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This is like saying we don’t need seatbelts in vehicles. So what do you do when someone is trying to kill you and your loved ones?

Is this a problem you deal with frequently? In my day-to-day life I don't usually encounter someone trying to kill me and my loved ones. In fact, if I had to count the number of times this has come up in the last almost 42 years of my life, I'd say it's a big round zero.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: th1bill
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This is like saying we don’t need seatbelts in vehicles.

Well, you know, it's not though. It isn't even remotely similar. And it is disturbing that you consider owning an AR-15 the same way you consider mandatory seat belts in motor vehicles.

Why stop at AR-15s? Why not everyone own a nuke? Because it's absurd? Well if it's so absurd, then why did the Cold War never get hot?

Do you think my neighbor is going to risk harming me if they know I can nuke them?

Tell me why my proposition is crazy without defeating whatever argument you might offer for why I need an AR-15.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0