what is the Lutheran view of who the Restrainer is ?

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟48,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
An interesting historical tidbit, is that the Confederation of the Rhine fought alongside Napoleon while Prussia fought alongside Russia. The Old Lutherans were Prussian, I wonder how they thought about this conflict in there mind with 2 Thessalonians in mind at the time (it was closer to their time period). Did they think Napoleon was the Antichrist

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟754,747.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think most of the church Father's as well as Lutherans would believe the restrainer is the Roman government. Calvin also believe that. Now that I think about it Historicists and Preterists would likely agree it was Rome.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟48,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Beale lists like 8 possibilities based on the grammar; I think the interpretation that it is a Roman empire is wrong. Other possibilities are the gospel, Satan, or an angel for example. Just because a view is historical, doesn't make it correct. It could be both the gospel proclamation and the Holy Spirit since the Spirit inspires the scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟754,747.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Beale lists like 8 possibilities based on the grammar; I think the interpretation that it is a Roman empire is wrong. Other possibilities are the gospel, Satan, or an angel for example. Just because a view is historical, doesn't make it correct. It could be both the gospel proclamation and the Holy Spirit since the Spirit inspires the scriptures.
The title of the thread is, "what is the Lutheran view of who the Restrainer is?" I answered that question.

If you just wanted to push your own perspective and argue you can do that on your own.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟48,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The title of the thread is, "what is the Lutheran view of who the Restrainer is?" I answered that question.

If you just wanted to push your own perspective and argue you can do that on your own.
I'm not trying to "push your my perspective and argue you can do that on your own", Lutherans can discuss things, this is obviously a post to spur discussion. If I was asking a bald question, I wouldn't have posted an hour long video as food for thought. Your belligerence to literally anything I say is apparent. I thought this was clearly inferred from me posting articles and videos that I want to "discuss" not just answer a question as if I'm some mindless zombie asking you, JM, the "master". If you don't want to discuss things then don't respond, I post articles and videos to discuss them and you respond condescendingly and belligerently. "If you just wanted to push your own perspective and argue you can do that on your own." makes no sense, no one can have a discussion talking to himself.
Here's an article for you to understand how I use questions:

clarifying questions do not equal direct questions. A discussion forum is about asking things that lead to "threads" and long discussions. I post to have conversations with other people as equals, not to ask questions like I'm asking a superior. The thread title is clearly an open "leading" question to spur the discussion, used all the time on forums on the web. A rational interlocutor having a discussion with me would try to convince me of his position rather than stifle the conversation at the root. But in any case, you're assumption that there is only one type of question is absurd especially on a literal forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0