The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus, has set us free from the law of sin and death?

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟335,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have much hope for mankind. Not because of the failings of mankind... but the Limitless, Unbound, Utterly Amazing, Wonderfully stupendous Goodness of YeH-shua, Jesus our Christ.

Your words of praise for Jesus on a public internet forum notwithstanding, the Jesus "of the bible" did say, and it is recorded for us, that it is not those who "Hear" His Sayings, and "Do them not", that will overcome the temptations and storms of this life, rather it is those who not only Hear Him, but also are "Doers" of His Sayings. These men are building their house on the "Rock".

It seems important to this Jesus, to believe in Him enough to obey Him. Not just with our lips, but our mind and body as well.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your words of praise for Jesus on a public internet forum notwithstanding, the Jesus "of the bible" did say, and it is recorded for us, that it is not those who "Hear" His Sayings, and "Do them not", that will overcome the temptations and storms of this life, rather it is those who not only Hear Him, but also are "Doers" of His Sayings. These men are building their house on the "Rock".

It seems important to this Jesus, to believe in Him enough to obey Him. Not just with our lips, but our mind and body as well.
Does one blow a trumpet when they give to the poor... On the internet?

• Useful
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟384,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A man cannot live in the Law of the Spirit "of Life", that was in Jesus, if he is held captive to the Law of Sin and "death" (deception, blindness, delusions, etc.) That is Paul's Delema. "Oh wretched man that I am".
This is the last time we will post on this to you unless you actually post something relevant to prove what is shared is wrong. No where does it say in any of the text shared that the Law of sin is, deception, blindness, delusions, etc.

Your philosophy here, is that Paul was somehow under circumstances of his flesh that no other human had ever encountered.

Never said that. It is as if you don't read what is posted.

From the OP. Read the last sentence
Paul says that he delights in the Law of God in relation to the good that he wants to do. But then he says he sees ANOTHER law in his members. This OTHER law that he says he found, the law that when he would do good evil is present with him. It is through this law he does what he would not, because of the sin that dwells in him. He as we can't help ourselves.
Sorry no mention there of our slavery to sin when we don't have God's Spirit through Christ.

As Paul mentioned, our slavery to sin is the Law of the sin. And as seen in the text he mentions it in contrast to the Law of the God that He delights in. The Law of God that shows us our sin.

Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟335,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is the last time we will post on this to you unless you actually post something relevant to prove what is shared is wrong. No where does it say in any of the text shared that the Law of sin is, deception, blindness, delusions, etc.

The entire foundation of your OP, is founded on the belief that;

"Paul said in Romans 8, "The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death."

The law above in the clause, law of sin is not the law or a law found in the Book of the Law or of the decalogue."

I shared with you that God places before us, the Law of the Spirit of Life that was in Christ? And the Law of Sin and Death. It's in your own Bible HIM, although when I post them, you completely ignore them.

Duet. 30: 15 See, "I have set" before thee this day "life and good, and death and evil"; 16 In that "I command thee this day" to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it. 17 But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them; 18 I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it. 19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you "life and death", "blessing "and cursing": therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

So this is "the Law" of the Spirit of Life, and also "the Law" of Sin and death. Both given by God. You are preaching to others that the Law of Sin was not placed before us in the Law and Prophets. I wanted to show you in Scriptures where you were in error, since you are preaching to others. Please be careful my friend, that your pride doesn't deceive you. It's better to be wrong, and then corrected, than to promote falsehoods about God.

And we apparently agree with the Scriptures, that the LAW of the Spirit of life that was in Jesus, is a Law of God spoken of in the Law and Prophets. But you seem completely oblivious to or unwilling to even discuss the "Law of Sin" that God also places before us.

Duet. 28: 15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, (SIN) to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

And they truly are many, but they most certainly include delusion, deceptions, blindness, etc.

28 The LORD shall smite thee with madness, and blindness, and astonishment of heart: 29 And thou shalt grope at noonday, "as the blind" gropeth in darkness, and thou shalt not prosper in thy ways: and thou shalt be only oppressed and spoiled evermore, and no man shall save thee.

This is a Law of God HIM. "The LAW of Sin and death". It's right there in your own Bible.
Sorry no mention there of our slavery to sin when we don't have God's Spirit through Christ.

Here is what Paul actually said; "But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity "to the law of sin" which is in my members. He doesn't say here, "slavery to sin", he says "slavery to the "Law of Sin" which leads to death.

You preach to others that the "Law of Sin" IS NOT a Law of God found in the Law and Prophets. What is the Law of the Spirit of Life, found in the Law and Prophets? Blessings!!! Yes? It's right there in your own Bible Him, Duet. 30..

And what is the "LAW of Sin"? Curses!!! Yes? It is right there in your own Bible, promised in Duet. 30 and defined for you and I in Duet. 28. Why can't men accept what is right there in front of them?

As Paul mentioned, our slavery to sin is the Law of the sin.

NO. That is your religious philosophy. He speaks of being brought into captivity to the "LAW of Sin" and death. And there are other places where he confirms my understand in this regard.

2 Thess. 2: 7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; "because" they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11 "And for this cause" "God" shall send them" strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

This is the Law of Sin my friend, and it leads to death, not Life.

How can you say this isn't of the curses given by God when HE was defining what happens to men who refuse to abide His Words??

And again;

Rom. 1: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. (Law of Sin) 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

And as seen in the text he mentions it in contrast to the Law of the God that He delights in. The Law of God that shows us our sin.

The Law of God showed the Pharisees their sin too. What good was it to them? Paul claimed to "Delight in the LAW of God" as a Pharisees as well. Many, who come in Christ's Name, would all say they "delight in the Law of God" after the inward man. "We keep the Sabbath every day, in our heart". And what is their ailment if not adopting the Philosophy of those who, as Prophesied;

Jer. 23: They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.

But when a person is seeking the truth, rather than justification, and actually considers what is written, it is the LAW of Sin that Jesus and Paul were most worried about. "Take HEED you are not deceived", "Let no man deceive you", "Beware of the Leaven of the Pharisees", "Beware of the Philosophies and traditions of men".

Jesus said the "Truth" shall set us free. Free from what, if not deception/blindness? And who places before men the curse of "deception"? I posted the answer, and the reason why if you can accept what is written.

You missed the mark on this one my friend. I hope you will reconsider.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟384,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus said the "Truth" shall set us free. Free from what, if not deception/blindness? And who places before men the curse of "deception"? I posted the answer, and the reason why if you can accept what is written.
Sin like He said in John 8 when the gainsayers stated that they were never in bondage. And as Paul through the Spirit confirms in chapters 6 in respect to Baptism in Christ. And Romans 8:3,4

Here is what Paul actually said; "But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity "to the law of sin" which is in my members. He doesn't say here, "slavery to sin", he says "slavery to the "Law of Sin" which leads to death.
Actually it is "to the law of the sin". And the Law of the sin is that it takes over as verse 20 states. It is no longer we who do it but the sin that dwells in us. As Jesus stated, he that commits sin is a servant to it.

Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟326,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Paul said in Romans 8, "The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death."

The law above in the clause, law of sin is not the law or a law found in the Book of the Law or of the decalogue. Most people don't understand these text so you are not alone. Please follow along.
Paul says that he does what he doesn't want to do because sin dwells in him in Rom 7:20. After saying this he says in context to it in verse 21, "I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me."

In other words not being able to control himself (ourselves) because of the indwelling sin is the law he found. This is brought out even further by the next two verses.

Paul says that he delights in the Law of God in relation to the good that he wants to do. But then he says he sees ANOTHER law in his members. This OTHER law that he says he found, the law that when he would do good evil is present with him. It is through this law he does what he would not, because of the sin that dwells in him. He as we can't help ourselves.

O wretched man that I am who shall deliver me (us) from this body of death that has sin dwelling in it?

Then because of the good that Paul wants to do He thanks God through Jesus Christ that he serves the Law of God with His mind. But there is a contrast in his flesh that he can not do what he would. He is in captivity, serving the law of sin in and with his flesh.

However there is therefore NOW no condemnation to us who are in Christ Jesus he continues in chapter 8. We who walk after the Spirit, His Spirit and not after the flesh, the sin that dwells in it. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin, the law that he found and is, the law that when we would do good evil is present with us. The law that we do what we would not, because of the sin that dwells in us and the result of it is death. For the wages of sin is death. (Rom 6:23) For what the law, the law of God that we serve with our minds could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh that had sin dwelling in it, God sent his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:That the righteousness of the law of God might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit of Christ Jesus whom we are in. And He in us that the world might believe.

And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. So say not in your heart, who shall bring Christ, through which we recieve the Word, His commandments and statutes contained in the Book of the Law in the heart down from above or up from the deep. But the righteousness of faith speaks this. The Word is in your heart and in your mouth that you can do it. That the righteousness of the Law, the Law of God be fulfilled in us who walk after the Spirit of Christ and not after the flesh, the sin that dwells in us. This is the word of faith in which we preach.

Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Rom 10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above)
Rom 10:7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
Rom 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Deut 30:10 If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
Deut 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
Deut 30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deut 30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deut 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.
Christ gives us the power, the grace, the Holy Spirit, to combat and to overcome the Law of Sin. That's what being free from the Law of Sin means, so that we now become slaves to righteousness instead of slaves to sin which leads to death (Rom 6), which leads to condemnation, IOW (Rom 8:1).

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟384,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christ gives us the power, the grace, the Holy Spirit, to combat and to overcome the Law of Sin. That's what being free from the Law of Sin means, so that we now become slaves to righteousness instead of slaves to sin which leads to death (Rom 6), which leads to condemnation, IOW (Rom 8:1).
Thanks for the confirmation to the op

Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟335,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sin like He said in John 8 when the gainsayers stated that they were never in bondage.

But they were in bondage. They, therefore, believed in a lie. Their foolish heart was darkened. They were granted a curse, just as Prophesied in the Law and Prophets. Jesus Himself tells you regarding these men who "Professed that they knew God".; 43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.

Why can't they understand God's Word that Jesus gave to them? Just read Duet. 28, and I will pray God allows you to hear Him. John 8 doesn't make Duet. 28 and 30 void as you imply. It establishes the truth of them.

And as Paul through the Spirit said confirms in chapters 6 in respect to Baptism in Christ. And Romans 8:3,4
Let's not change the subject for the reason why I replied to your sermon.

"Paul said in Romans 8, "The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death."

The law above in the clause, law of sin is not the law or a law found in the Book of the Law or of the decalogue."

There can be no doubt, that in the Scriptures I posted from the Law and Prophets, the God revealed therein defined for us, "The Law of Sin", which includes blindness, deception and death. And it is this God that created the Law of Sin. That is simply undeniable Biblical Fact. Whether you or I believe His Words is irrelevant and doesn't make God's Word void.

As much as I would like to agree with you, I can't, because I'm not willing to erase these Words of God from my heart, just to follow popular religious philosophies of this world.

Actually it is "to the law of the sin".

That's what I said word for word, just as Paul said. "and bringing me into captivity "to the law of sin" which is in my members. I was responding to the words you added "As Paul mentioned, our slavery to sin "is the Law of the sin".

To find out what the "LAW of Sin" is, in order to see what men become slaves to, I went to the God and Father of the Lord's Christ, so as to be "Learned of the Father". I posted HIS Words regarding what curses HE SAYS that HE with enslave men with, who "Hearken not" to His Commandments, AKA, "Sin". I posted them for your review. I can't make you believe what they say.

And the Law of the sin is that it takes over as verse 20 states.

Yes, as the God of the Bible defines in His "Law of Sin" that I posted.

Duet. 28 15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, "and overtake thee": 28 The LORD shall smite thee with madness, and blindness, and astonishment of heart: 29 And thou shalt grope at noonday, as the blind gropeth in darkness, and thou shalt not prosper in thy ways: and thou shalt be only oppressed and spoiled evermore, "and no man shall save thee".

And as such, a man will do what he doesn't want to do. Who wants to die?

It is no longer we who do it but the sin that dwells in us.

I think you misunderstand Paul here. Sin can do nothing but deceive and influence. That is why Paul teaches.

Rom. 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, (New man) and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

As Jesus stated, he that commits sin is a servant to it.

So you believe Jesus was also ignorant of the Law of Sin, or the Blessing of obedience that God created for men in Duet. 28 and 30? I don't believe HE was ignorant of the curses promised by God at all. "Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word."

Lol. but it isn't the "SIN" that gets crucified HIM. It's the deceived man, the old man who is a slave to the "Law of Sin" and is blinded, and deceived, and cursed. That is the man who is "Doing" the sinful work.

Duet. 28: 58 If thou wilt not observe to do all the words of this law that are written in this book, that thou mayest fear this glorious and fearful name, THE LORD THY GOD; 59 Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful, and the plagues of thy seed, even great plagues, and of long continuance, and sore sicknesses, and of long continuance.

60 Moreover he will bring upon thee all the diseases of Egypt, which thou wast afraid of; and they shall cleave unto thee.

61 Also every sickness, and every plague, which is not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed.

Listen to Paul;

Rom. 6: 5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 6 Knowing this, that "our old man is crucified with him", that the body of sin (Cursed, Deceived, Blinded) might be destroyed, that "henceforth" we should not serve sin.

But be warned, as Paul also teaches.

15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. (That means NO Him) Why?

16 Because, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

The Law of sin is still here, it still brings the deception and curses which lead to death. This is why we see so many who call Jesus Lord, Lord, but live in transgression to Gods Laws without even the slightest fear or concern. They are taken captive by the Law of Sin, just as those "Christians" in Matt. 7.

I'm not sure why you don't want to talk about the Law of Sin spoken of by the Law and Prophets.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟326,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If we condition our salvation on something we do or abstain from doing, then we have not been set free from the law of sin and death.
To the extent that we're set from free from the law of sin and death, we do right and abstain from wrong. We become slaves to righteousness, IOW, instead of slaves to sin which leads to death (Rom 6).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟326,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the confirmation to the op
Yes, I could've made that more clear. Anyway, to put it another way, the gospel and the new covenant are not intended to serve as a reprieve from man's obligation to be righteous and live accordingly, but are the authentic means to achieving that very thing, with God now, as His people, a relationship we enter into via faith.

The new covenant prophecy of Jeremiah:
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people."
Jer 31:33

Last edited:
Reactions: Studyman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To the extent that we're set from from the law of sin and death, we do right and abstain from wrong. We become slaves to righteousness, IOW, instead of slaves to sin which leads to death (Rom 6).
If we condition our salvation on something we do or abstain from doing, then we have not been set free from the law of sin and death.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟384,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are mistaken in that you do not know what the law of sin is.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟384,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyway, to put it another way, the gospel and the new covenant are not intended to serve as a reprieve from man's obligation to be righteous and live accordingly, but are the authentic means to achieving that very thing, with God now, as His people, a relationship we enter into via faith.

The new covenant prophecy of Jeremiah:
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people."
Jer 31:33
So you see the Gospel and the New Covenant as separate?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟529,413.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great topic Him. I would point out some things regarding Paul's teaching. Before Romans 7, that have provided a little different understanding of Paul's words in Rom. 7. I would like to share them with you. Paul says;

9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: "but in that he liveth", he liveth unto God.

11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, "but alive unto God" through Jesus Christ our Lord.

12 Let not sin therefore "reign" in your "mortal body", (Flesh) that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but "yield yourselves" (not just our mind, but our mortal body as well) unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members (Ears, Eyes, Hands and feet) as instruments of righteousness unto God. 14 For sin "shall not have dominion over you": for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

So isn't Paul saying here to "rule over our flesh", just as God instructed Cain in the beginning? To not let the Flesh rule over our mind?

In like manner, in Roman's 7, 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. The Law of Sin is Death, Yes? Paul doesn't say here that his flesh serves sin. It serves the Law of Sin, which is death. That's like saying the mind serves God in "don't commit adultery" but the flesh walks over to the neighbor's wife and has its way with her. I don't think that is Paul's teaching here. The Flesh is crucified according to the Law of Sin.

Therefore, Paul's Flesh is dead and no longer controls his mortal body, "to obey it in the lusts thereof". As he says in another place, "Him that steals. let him steal no more". The Flesh no longer directs Paul's Footsteps. His Sinful flesh becomes crucified with Christ, now Paul "Lives unto God" even as the Christ, as the New Man, which after God, not after his flesh as with the old man, is created in righteousness and true Holiness.

With God's Word, AKA "Spirit" in our mind, we serve the Law of God, no longer yielding our members as instruments unto unrighteousness, like stealing, Etc.

With this Yielding oneself a servant to obey God, as one who is alive from the dead, we don't steal. It's not that we think about not stealing, but our flesh steals anyway. Through the Spirit of the Living Christ, our body, flesh, being, doesn't steal. And as long as we "WALK", "In the Spirit" (In God's Word and not our own), we will not Steal.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk (Do things not just think things) not after the flesh, (Stealing) but after the Spirit. (Not Stealing) "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

Paul confirms this before Romans 7 & 8.

15 What then? shall we sin, (Steal) because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Of course, a man shouldn't steal just because God has forgiven his sin. He goes on to explain.

16 Know ye not, that to whom "ye yield yourselves" servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

So again, Paul is showing us who to yield ourselves servants to obey.

I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; (Yielded myself a servant to obey God) but with the flesh the "law" of sin. (The Law of Sin, is Death) As Paul has already established.

1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

A fleshy desire that is crucified, cannot have dominion over a man, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

If a man continues to walk in transgression of God's Laws, he is not "Walking" in the Spirit. His Old Man has not been crucified, and the Flesh still has dominion of the mind.

This is what is missing in many of the doctrines and philosophies or this world's religions, in my view.

Great discussion.
Like your post, but isn't this what Him is already expressing? That's how I understood it.
I agree with you that this problem, the one of disobedience toward the Scripture instruction to be careful not to gratify the flesh, but rather give yourself wholly to following in step with the Spirit, is a dangerous and crippling problem in the Church. Perhaps this is a response of showing mercy to visitors seeking God. It is misleading false doctrine...watered down theology. Not to sound too harsh, however, some do require a very gentle approach.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟384,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟326,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Because of your use of the word "and" in the quote below.
IDK-I Iisted them both to emphasize that they're not separate, or are intrinsically related in accomplishing the one purpose the post was referring to: the uniting of man with God.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟326,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The power of sin, is the law.
The law is the power of sin.

That's a CURSE...

So, "Christ has redeemed us from the CURSE of the Law"

How?

"Christ is the END .. OF... THE.. .LAW, for righteousness....to everyone who believes"

Final answer?

The born again "are NOT UNDER THE LAW......but under Grace".

"The law came by moses.. but GRACE and TRUTH, came By Jesus Christ".

End result.. ????

"As JESUS IS>...so are the born again... in THIS World"...
Being under grace means that we can fulfill the law, God's way now, not ours, by the power of grace, by the power of God the Holy Spirit, by the power of love to put it another way. Augustine put it this way:
"The law was therefore given in order that grace might be sought; grace was given in order that the law might be fulfilled."

Upvote 0