Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Been working on our PurimSpeil. (play based on the book of Esther)

I am playing Mordecai and our performance is Saturday evening.

Good luck to you and everyone in the play!

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I've been taking a bit of a break for this site, having gotten kind of tired of "Christians" during this pandemic, you know the folks who believe that their "religious liberty" to infect other people because "people are going to die anyway" is greater than anything that Christ could possibly command or teach concerning the poor, weak, and vulnerable among us. Just don't have the stomach for it right now and I know it's probably all over this site.

(Which means that when I am here, I may just stick to this forum, the Progressive Christian forum, the Wesleyan forum, and perhaps a couple others I'm forgetting and ignore the rest as cesspools of spiritual meanness and abuse.)

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,027.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have, however, seen some interesting articles suggesting that the burdens associated with this pandemic - of caring, of domestic load, of domestic violence, and of unemployment - are falling disproportionately on women.

Here's an example. The Coronavirus Is a Disaster for Feminism

I thought maybe that might be a discussion worth having in here?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟347,926.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Looking after. ... All this looking after—this unpaid caring labor—will fall more heavily on women, because of the existing structure of the workforce. “It’s not just about social norms of women performing care roles; it’s also about practicalities,” Wenham added. “Who is paid less? Who has the flexibility?”
Most families need two incomes to maintain living expenses. It’s really up in the air what will transpire to balance it.
And in Britain today, a quarter of families are headed by a single parent, more than 90 percent of whom are women. Closed schools make their life even harder.
The Coronavirus Is a Disaster for Feminism

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,027.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I bookmarked this thread when you posted those links, PloverWing, and only today did I find time to sit down and read the articles. Draw conclusions from that about being a working mum in a pandemic!

Far out, that father, though, unable/unwilling to look after his own son... words fail me.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I don't know what to make of that dad.

Except that, commonly, men and women alike are raised to take for granted that housework and childcare are primarily the wife's responsibility, regardless of whether she works outside the home. At least, that was true in my generation. I had hoped that things would improve in my children's generation, but apparently they haven't, yet. The helpless dad in the article is just an extreme example.

I hear you, about being a working mum. My kids are mostly grown now, so I've had it easier than it would be if they were younger, but housework is eternal.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,027.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do think there's a generational shift. My husband is my daughter's primary carer, and other stay-at-home (or working part-time) dads are around, even if they're in a minority. When I was a kid it was unheard of.

Housework is eternal, but I sometimes fantasise about how easy it would be if I lived alone, and very simply, and there was only ever me to clean up after...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I don't know what to make of that dad.

Except that, commonly, men and women alike are raised to take for granted that housework and childcare are primarily the wife's responsibility, regardless of whether she works outside the home. At least, that was true in my generation. I had hoped that things would improve in my children's generation, but apparently they haven't, yet. The helpless dad in the article is just an extreme example.

I hear you, about being a working mum. My kids are mostly grown now, so I've had it easier than it would be if they were younger, but housework is eternal.

I have a problem with the way that story characterizes the man "helping" at home. That kind of verbiage in itself implies primary responsibility for work at home goes to the woman. The only question is how much he will help her do the jobs that must be done. To me, the implication is clear, and it would be helpful if women decide here and now that they will never say it that way again.

The man and the woman both live in the house. The children belong to both of them. He shares the responsibility. He doesn't help. He shares.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I do think there's a generational shift. My husband is my daughter's primary carer, and other stay-at-home (or working part-time) dads are around, even if they're in a minority. When I was a kid it was unheard of.

Housework is eternal, but I sometimes fantasise about how easy it would be if I lived alone, and very simply, and there was only ever me to clean up after...

Well then you run into the issue of, "Well I'm the only one who cares or sees the mess and I'd rather be doing this other more important thing."

Upvote 0