✟1,142,842.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I repeat what I wrote before, with a reference link:

Statistics show that in countries where contraception is easily obtainable, the abortion rate is 33% that of the U.S.

But when pro-choicers say that easier access to contraception and realistic biological sex education will eliminate abortions, the pro-lifers say, "our way or no way."

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/ib_0599.html

Yet, while it may seem paradoxical, a country's abortion rate is not closely correlated with whether abortion is legal there. For example, abortion levels are quite high in Latin American countries, where abortion is highly restricted. (In fact, 20 million of the 46 million abortions performed annually worldwide occur in countries with highly restrictive abortion laws.) At the same time, abortion rates are quite low throughout Western Europe, where the procedure is legal and widely available. Also, Eastern and Western Europe have the world's highest and lowest abortion rates, respectively, yet abortion is generally legal throughout the Continent.

If legality is not the determining factor, what drives the rates at which abortions occur in a given country? Clearly, a key factor is the rate at which women experience unintended pregnancies—itself a function of the interplay between a couple's family-size (and timing) goals and their contraceptive use.

Abortion levels are high in countries where the desire for small families is strong but contraceptive use is low or ineffective.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cosmic Charlie said:
Legality and morality are often af cross-purposes with each other, in america, if you want ot stop abortion, imo, you have to stop looking at the legal apperatis and starting looking a pregnant women. They are the key to the solution to the problem, not the Senate or the courts.

Harry Flynn, the local Catholic Archbishop, wrote a letter related to this:

http://www.archspm.org/html/pastoral_3.html

I want our local church to say loudly and clearly: "No woman should feel so alone that abortion seems her only alternative. No man need feel so trapped or fearful that he believes there is no other answer." I want us to be able to say to any woman: "Come to any Catholic parish in this archdiocese and you will find help." I am asking you, the Catholic people of this archdiocese, to make this promise a reality. I make this request in the belief that to keep this promise to a pregnant woman is a way to demonstrate in action the reality of God's love.​

I like Harry Flynn.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟86,484.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
A Reminder that this forum is DENOMINATIONAL Specific Ethics.

That means the discussion is to be limited to one Denomination.

This thread was started by a non Catholic contrary to the specific purpose of this forum.

I am going to close the thread while the mods review the possibility of moving it to an appropriate forum

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.