STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ever met someone who is Pro choice and anti-abortion....well you have now.

It's common with Pro-lifers to label those who are pro-choice as pro-abortion, which is not always correct.

Pro-lifers, unfortunately are seen as ignorant because of this, by trying to make pro-choice people sound bad calling them pro-abortion. Though there are horrible people out there who use abortion as birth control and could rightly be labled pro-abortion, many many many people who call themselves pro-choice who are against abortion and see it as a sad choice to make. Some reasons they are pro-choice is because they believe making abortion illegal could cost more lives from at home and back alley abortions, as well as more babies born and left to die. Some believe its the mothers moral decision to make, and the state should stay out of it, and many just want there to be a clause allowing abortion legal if the life of the mother is in jeapordy, especially when the chance of the child living is slim.

The decision to be pro-choice is the decision that abortion should be legal, not that it is okay, or no big deal. I myself believe there should be stricter guidlines on abortion, and investigations into women who have more then one. So do many pro-choicers. I have yet to meet someone who cheers yea! abortion good idea! fun!...it is viewed by almost all negitively.

When we as christians express our opinions, we should be rising above the worldly way of things and being more respectful then others. By labeling someone who is pro-choice as pro-abortion, you are being disrespectful, ignorant, and down right rude. How would you like it if someone called you Pro-hell, cause in their mind you think its good god sends people to hell sometimes. The same applies here. When discussing your beliefs remember you are a christian, be respectful, ask them why they are pro-choice, instead of assuming or as heard many times, calling them baby killers, or pro-abortionists. Be informed on the subject, open minded enough to really listen and consider their sides, while staying strong in your faith and making your argument intelligently, respectfully, and know when to quit. You'll find many will do the same for you, if you do it first.

Just my thoughts

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟36,890.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I did an informal survey of mothers who identified as pro-choice on a parenting board I frequent. Most (although not all) were against abortions used as birth control, and especially repeated use as birth control. Some (a slim majority, perhaps) admitted to "judging" women adversely for having had abortion for what they identified as "poor reasons", others were not really judgmental (this was one of the questions I asked). Not a single one thought that abortion to save the life of the mother should be prohibited. Interestingly enough, all respondents whom I knew to be Catholic identified as pro-choice, and the one pro-life respondent was not Catholic.

I thought it was interesting, anyway. :)

Edited to add: the pro-life respondent wasn't supposed to respond, since the survey was for pro-choicers, but sometimes I guess people can't resist responding on certain topics. For what it's worth.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,747.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The majority of Pro-choicers that I run into take the views that you express in your OP, so that is no surprise. That does not make pro-choice right. It is still wrong to kill a baby, and the real choice is made at the decision to have intercourse. Sex is not a need or a right; it is a choice. The life of the mother excuse is a cop out. If a woman is in such ill health that a pregnancy could kill her, then she should not have sex.

I don't expect to change your mind, but pro-choice is against Catholic chruch teaching, and Cannot be promoted here in OBOB

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If we agree, despite our differences, that abortion is a negative thing, why don't we put aside our disagreements for a moment to work together to end abortion?

My question is, does anyone have any links or ideas on ways to contribute to reducing (and hopefully eliminating) the number of abortions?

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Abortion is the murder of absolute innocence. If a mother chooses to murder her child in a back alley rather than a clinic, she does indeed put her life in danger, but you'll forgive me if I don't have a lot of sympathy. It is an abomination in God's eyes and the worst crime one can commit. It is not a "sad choice."

Upvote 0

Kepha

Veteran
Feb 3, 2005
Canada
✟17,719.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
dawnsday said:
Some reasons they are pro-choice is because they believe making abortion illegal could cost more lives from at home and back alley abortions, as well as more babies born and left to die. Some believe its the mothers moral decision to make, and the state should stay out of it, and many just want there to be a clause allowing abortion legal if the life of the mother is in jeapordy, especially when the chance of the child living is slim.

The decision to be pro-choice is the decision that abortion should be legal, not that it is okay, or no big deal.
Pro choicers are for abortion to be legalized hence the name pro abortion. They are for it. Mabe with differences of opinions such as when or how, nevertheless, at some point in time, they want the laws of their country to agree with it. The word "choice" hides the murderous act. Anything can be called choice. Even suicide. How about walking up to a guy and blowing his head off. That is a choice.

However, abortion can only mean one thing. To extinguish an innocent life no matter what the reason. To me, calling them pro abortionists is more fitting a name and is rightly applied.

Upvote 0

thanksb2god

Holy mary mother of god pray for us
May 30, 2005
From the moon
✟740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
InnerPhyre said:
Abortion is the murder of absolute innocence. If a mother chooses to murder her child in a back alley rather than a clinic, she does indeed put her life in danger, but you'll forgive me if I don't have a lot of sympathy. It is an abomination in God's eyes and the worst crime one can commit. It is not a "sad choice."

You know what I am going to agree with you on this one....I dont know how anyone can go ahead and do that...It does not matter how full grown the baby is inside of you....It is still killing a human being.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟71,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dominus Fidelis said:
I'd respond, but this thread is about abortion and the forum rules don't allow us to discuss it.

Since when do we let rules get in the way of our discussions.

So what the point of this response ? To tweek OBOB/CF or to get the rest of us in trouble.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟26,409.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Cosmic Charlie said:
Since when do we let rules get in the way of our discussions.

So what the point of this response ? To tweek OBOB/CF or to get the rest of us in trouble.

Rather to vent that I can't comment, else I will get my last official warning and get banned...but you never thought of that did you, Charlie?

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟71,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dominus Fidelis said:
Rather to vent that I can't comment, else I will get my last official warning and get banned...but you never thought of that did you, Charlie?

How would I know ? Every time I ask what going on I get my threads deleted.

Its not like we have a tack borad with the current state of everyone one it so we can go look.

I never worked on a forrm this heavily moderated, I'm used to taking care of things the old fashioned way: Fifty words at twenty paces.

If it was up to me, you could fire away. Some of my best friends are duelest who tried to kill me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,747.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Cosmic Charlie said:
How would I know ? Every time I ask what going on I get my threads deleted.

Its not like we have a tack borad with the current state of everyone one it so we can go look.

I never worked on a forrm this heavily moderated, I'm used to taking care of things the old fashioned way: Fifty words at twenty paces.

If it was up to me, you could fire away. Some of my best friends are duelest who tried to kill me.

Fire away gentlemen. The thread is now in Denominational specific theology where abortion can be discussed. A redirect is in OBOB, so that other interested parties may find the thread.

you may take 50 paces if you like, but your debate may begin at any time

Upvote 0

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
To me, the logic that it is better to keep abortion legal to prevent greater problems is flawed. It kind of sounds like this:

"Yeah, genocide is bad, but the international community really shouldn't make laws prohibiting it. Making genocide illegal would result in concentration camps etc..., it's much better to do it the safer way with internationally-approved lethal injections for undesirable ethnic groups...there's less suffering that way."

Leaving abortion legal is an affront to the dignity of the Human person and a denial of their basic rights. The right of the child to live supercedes the right of the mother's personal convenience.

Reactions: Ave Maria
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't care what people say. Pro-Choice is Pro-Abortion whether you like it or not. And any Catholic who is Pro-Choice needs to seriously rethink their position on that. The Church's official position is against abortion and we should always be in agreement with the Church because it contains the fullness of truth.

pax said:
To me, the logic that it is better to keep abortion legal to prevent greater problems is flawed. It kind of sounds like this:

"Yeah, genocide is bad, but the international community really shouldn't make laws prohibiting it. Making genocide illegal would result in concentration camps etc..., it's much better to do it the safer way with internationally-approved lethal injections for undesirable ethnic groups...there's less suffering that way."

Good comparison pax. I agree with you. :thumbsup:

Abortion is murder and should be totally illegal/banned if you ask me. And if anyone gets an illegal abortion, they should be charged with murder pure and simple!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.