Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
A Glimpse at Martin Luther

Doug V. Heck

General Introduction

"O century! The studies flourish, the spirits are awake, it is a luxury to live." (Ulrich von Hutten)

"If you read all the annals of the past, you will find no century like this since the birth of Christ. Such building and planting, such good living and dressing, such enterprise in commerce, such a stir in all the arts, has not been since Christ came into the world. And how numerous are the sharp and intelligent people who leave nothing hidden and unturned: even a boy of twenty years knows more nowadays than was known formerly by twenty doctors of divinity." (Martin Luther, 1522)

Jer 1:3-10 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak. Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD. Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth. See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.

Evil Times and a Corrupt Church. The papacy was secularized and changed into a selfish tyranny whose yoke became more and more unbearable. The scandal of the papal schism had indeed been removed, but papal morals, after a temporary improvement, became worse than ever during the years 1492 to 1521. Alexander VI, was a monster of iniquity; Julius II was a politician and warrior rather than a chief shepherd of souls; and Leo X took far more interest in the revival of heathen literature and art than in religion and is said to have even doubted the truth of the gospel history. …Discipline was nearly ruined. Whole monastic establishments and orders had become nurseries of ignorance and superstition, idleness and dissipation, and were the objects of contempt and ridicule. …Preaching was neglected and had reference, mostly to indulgences, alms, pilgrimages and processions. (Schaff, p. 8-10)

The Reformation of the sixteenth century is, next to the introduction of Christianity, the greatest event in history. (P. Schaff, p. 1)

The Reformation went back to first principles in order to go forward. …It started with a question: What must a man do to be saved? How shall a sinner be justified before God and attain peace of his troubled conscience. The Reformers were supremely concerned for the salvation of the soul, for the glory of Christ and the triumph of the gospel. (Schaff, p. 13-15)

The Reformation was a grand act of emancipation from spiritual tyranny, and a vindication of the sacred rights of conscience in matters of religious belief. Luther's bold stand at the Diet of Worms, in the face of the pope and the emperor, is one of the sublimest events in the history of liberty, and the eloquence of his testimony rings through the centuries. (Schaff, p. 50)

Martin Luther

Our time is brief, but we want to sketch the life of the great Reformer Martin Luther, looking at: Luther the Child, Luther the Monk, Luther the Professor, Luther the Reformer and Luther the Pastor. We don't want this to merely an excursion into ancient history but to distill our message into a concise summary of lessons learned from Luther to help galvanize our own commitment to the ongoing Reformation in the city of Tulsa.

A. Luther The Child. Luther's childhood had almost nothing to do with his becoming a revolutionary theologian...born...November 10, 1483 at Eisleben, Northern Germany. His father Hans sent him to the University of Erfurt to become a lawyer. By 14 years old Martin was manifesting himself to be extraordinarily intelligent.

He proved so adept at disputation (public debates that were the principle means of learning and teaching) that he earned the nickname

After visiting his parents, on the way back to Erfurt Luther was almost struck by a bolt of lightening and falling to the ground cried out "Help me, St. Anne! (the patroness of miners) And I will become a monk!" Within two weeks he gave away all his possessions and entered the Black Cloister of the Observant Augustinians.

Hans was proud when his son earned a master's degree. He dreamed of martin's future career in law and the financial rewards it would bring the family. So he was furious, at least initially, when his son decided to enter a monastery.

B. Luther The Monk. "If anyone could have earned heaven by the life of a monk, it was I."

"I was so drunk, nay submerged in the doctrines of the pope that I could have happily killed (or cooperated with anyone who killed) whoever took but a syllable of obedience away from him."

Trip to Rome: Because Luther wanted to free his grandfather - Lindemann Luther - from purgatory, he scaled the

When Luther came in sight of the eternal city, he fell upon the earth, raised his hands and exclaimed, "Hail to thee, holy Rome! Thrice holy for the blood of martyrs shed here."

"Where God builds a church, the Devil puts up a chapel next door...If there is a hell, then Rome is built on it."

He now became overwhelmed with a sense of the vanity of this world and the absorbing importance of saving his soul, which, according to the prevailing notion of his age, he could best secure in the quiet retreat of a cloister.

C. Luther The Professor. Johann von Staupitz ordered him to take his doctorate and become professor of the Bible at Wittenberg University...the revolution in his theological thinking occurred in the professor's lecture hall and study from 1513 to 1519. "I hated that word,

Romans 1:17, which is not only the

The Apostle Paul, remember, has just claimed that he is eager to preach the gospel in Rome because he was proud of it. After all, in it is the "power of God unto salvation" for everyone who believes! And then he writes...

For in it is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, The just shall live by faith. (cf. Romans 1:17)

That is, in the gospel of Christ "the righteousness of God is revealed." The phrase

Grammatically, this phrase might be taken as a

...to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare

That is, God Himself is declared righteous as He justifies sinners; His attribute

But those believing that the phrase the "righteousness of God" means an attribute of God, sometimes point to His

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness. (cf. Rom. 1:18)

Hence, for Luther, Paul's phrase the "righteousness of God" brought before Him God's

...the Lord passed before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin [but now listen to this] and who will

This thought terrified the waking hours of Luther's life and brought him to obsessive frustration at pleasing God!

However, the "righteousness of God" could also be viewed as a

Luther's personal spiritual struggle ended with his realization that God's righteousness meant not "the righteousness by which He is righteous by Himself but the righteousness by which we are made righteous by God." Not the strict "distributive justice"...by which God impartially rules and governs the world, but a righteousness that is not one's own...a new standing imparted to the sinner who believes - this is what made Paul's message "good news" to Luther.

In Luther's own historic words he described his struggle with this phrase until finally the meaning opened to him that this refers not to an

Night and day I pondered until...I grasped the truth that the righteousness of God is that righteousness whereby, through grace and sheer mercy, He justifies us by faith. Thereupon I felt myself to be reborn and to have gone through open doors into paradise!

Perhaps a better way of viewing this is to understand it as both an "attribute of God" and a "status given by God." In this way, the broader context of the Epistle of Romans is satisfied, as God's righteousness is imputed to sinful men on the basis of the death of Christ, through faith; and the immediate context of the Epistle to the Romans is satisfied, as God's righteousness is presently being revealed just as God's wrath is presently being revealed in vs. 17. God's attribute of faithfulness is displayed in the righteous status He gives "from faith to faith."

"I did not learn my theology all at once, but I had to search deeper for it, where my temptations took me...Not understanding, reading, or speculation, but living - nay, dying and being damned - make a theologian."

He studied with all his might and often neglected eating and sleeping.

Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth. See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant. (Jer. 1)

D. Luther The Reformer. It started on All Saints' Eve, 1517, when Luther formally objected to the way Johannes Tetzel was preaching a plenary indulgence...to rebuild St. Peter's Basilica in Rome..."Once the coin into the coffer clings, a soul from purgatory heavenward springs!"

The sacrament of penance includes three elements, - contrition of the heart, confession by the mouth (to the priest), and satisfaction by good works, such as prayer, fasting, almsgiving, pilgrimages, all of which are supposed to have an atoning efficacy. God forgives only the eternal punishment of sin, and he alone can do that; but the sinner has to bear the temporal punishments, either in this life or in purgatory; and these punishments are under the control of the church or the priesthood, especially the Pope as its legitimate head.

The core issue became public at the Leipzig debate in the late June 1519...In brief Luther declared that "a simple layman armed with the Scriptures" was superior to both pope and councils without them. Luther thus richly merited the bull threatening excommunication that came in mid-1520. He responded by burning the bull and the canon law.

John Eck forced Luther at Leipzig to admit that popes and church councils could err, and that the Bible alone could be trusted as an infallible source of Christian faith and teaching.

Three important essays:

1.)

"The time for silence is gone, and the time for speaking has come." (Luther)

2 .) The Babylonian Captivity of the Church . Luther reduced the seven sacraments first to three (baptism, the Lord's Supper, and penance), then to two, while radically altering their character.

In the closing

Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth. See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant. (Jer. 1)

3.)

Diet of Worms. In the spring of 1521, called by Holy Roman Emperor Charles V...Luther expected a debate but taken back when realized this was a judicial hearing, and asked for another day...asked again, "Will you defend these books all together, or do you wish to recant of some of what you have said?" Luther, "Unless I can be instructed and convinced with evidence from the Holy Scriptures or with open, clear, and distinct grounds of reasoning...then I cannot and will not recant, because it is neither safe nor wise to act against conscience...Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me! Amen."

Luther's bold stand at the Diet of Worms, in the face of the pope and the emperor, is one of the sublimest events in the history of liberty and the eloquence of his testimony rings through the centuries. (Schaff, p. 50)

The appearance of Luther before the Diet on this occasion, is one of the finest, perhaps it is the very finest, scene in human history. (Froude)

Luther was condemned and given 21 days of safe conduct...4 horsemen kidnapped Luther at instigation of Fredrick the Wise and taken to the Warburg, one of Fredrick's castles...known as "Knight George." translated the NT into German during those 11 months in exile.

"If I had a thousand heads, I would rather have them all cut off one by one than make one recantation." (Luther)

Luther spoke of frequent battles with the Devil. The Devil constantly disturbed his work - as a fly buzzing around his head, or as a large black dog in Luther's bed, or by making a racked to keep Luther awake.

Three statements of the reformation:

1.)

"I'd like all my books to be destroyed so that only the sacred writings in the Bible would be diligently read."

"A simple laymen armed with Scripture is to be believed above a pope or a cardinal without it."

Every true progress in church history is conditioned by a new and deeper study of the Scriptures...While the Humanists went back to the ancient classics and revived the spirit of Greek and Roman paganism, the Reformers went back to the sacred Scriptures in the original languages and revived the spirit of apostolic Christianity. (P. Schaff, p. 17)

Pope Innocent III was of the opinion that the Scriptures were too deep for the common people, as they surpassed even the understanding of the wise and learned.

Ps 19:7-11 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

2 Tim 3:14-4:5 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

2 Pet 1:16-21 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

2.)

Faith, in the biblical and evangelical sense, is a vital force which engages all the powers of man and apprehends and appropriates the very life of Christ and all his benefits. It is the child of grace and the mother of good works.

He [Luther] offered his doctor's cap to any who could harmonize James and Paul on the subject of justification and jests about the trouble Melanchthon took to do it.

…faith is God's work in us, that changes us and gives new birth from God. (John 1:13). It kills the Old Adam and makes us completely different people. It changes our hearts, our spirits, our thoughts and all our powers. It brings the Holy Spirit with it. Yes, it is a living, creative, active and powerful thing, this faith. Faith cannot help doing good works constantly. It doesn't stop to ask if good works ought to be done, but before anyone asks, it already has done them and continues to do them without ceasing. Anyone who does not do good works in this manner is an unbeliever. He stumbles around and looks for faith and good works, even though he does not know what faith or good works are. Yet he gossips and chatters about faith and good works with many words. Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy, joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. Thus it is just as impossible to separate faith and works as it is to separate heat and light from fire! Therefore, watch out for your own false ideas and guard against good-for-nothing gossips, who think they're smart enough to define faith and works in you, or you will remain forever without faith, no matter what you wish, say or do. (Luther, An Introduction of St. Paul's Letter to the Romans )

3.)

The negative part of the work was completed: the tyranny of popery over Western Christendom was broken, the conscience was set free and the way opened for a reconstruction of the Church on the basis of the New Testament. …A Revolution is merely destructive and emancipative: a reformation is constructive and affirmative; it removes abuses and corruptions, but saves the foundation and builds on it a new structure. (Schaff, p. 329)

E. Luther The Pastor. Returned to Wittenberg in early spring of 1522 and retook the pulpit.

Marriage: Married a runaway nun, Kathrine von Bora, which scandalized the Roman leadership.

"Before I was married, the bed was made for a whole year and became foul with sweet." (Luther)

When Luther married, neither he nor his bride, Katherine von Bora, felt "in love." Katherine was still getting over a broken engagement to a man she truly loved. And Martin admitted, "I am not in love or burning with desire."

Luther dubbed her "the morning star of Wittenberg," as her day began at 4:00.

Married to please his father, who liked the idea of grandchildren; to spite the pope, who forbade clerical marriages; and to witness to his convictions before he was martyred.

Suffering and Affliction: "God creates out of nothing. Therefore, until a man is nothing. God can make nothing out of him...Affliction is the best book in my library.

"I was born to war with fanatics and devils. Thus my books are very stormy and bellicose. I must root out the stumps and trunks, hew away the thorns and briar, fill in the puddles. I am the rough woodsman, who must pioneer and hew a path."

"A Christian should know that the Devil is nearer him than his coat or shirt, yea, than his own skin." (Luther)

Once the Devil told him that he was a great sinner. "I knew that long ago," replied Luther, "tell me something new. Christ has taken my sins upon himself, and forgiven them long ago. Now grind your teeth."

Music: "I have no use for cranks who despise music, because it is a gift of God. Next after theology, I give music the highest place and the greatest honor."

It was the worst of times - 1527 - one of the most trying years of Luther's life. It's hard to imagine he had the energy or spirit to compose one of Chrisendom's most memorable hymns...On April 22 a dizzy spell forced Luther to stop preaching in the middle of his sermon...He began to suffer severe depression. Then on July 6, as friends arrived for dinner, Luther felt an intense buzzing in his left ear...in August the plague erupted in Wittenberg...Luther considered it his duty to remain and care for the sick. Even though his wife was pregnant, Luther's house was transformed into a hospital, and he watched many friends die. Then his son became ill...during that year, Luther remembered the 10 anniversary of his publication of the 95 theses and wrote, "The only comfort against the raging Satan is that we have God's Word to save the souls of believers." Sometime later he wrote "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."

Preaching : "There are lazy and useless preachers, who do not denounce the evils of princes and lords, some because they do not even notice them...Some even fear for their skins and worry that they will lose body and goods for it. They do not stand up and be true to Christ!"

He gave the most prominent place to the sermon, which was another departure from previous custom. He arranged three services on Sunday, each with a sermon: early in the morning, chiefly for servants; the mass at nine or ten; and in the afternoon a discourse from the text in the OT. On Monday and Tuesday in the morning the Ten Commandments, the Creed, and the Lord's Prayer were to be taught; on Wednesday, the Gospel of Matthew; on Saturday, the Gospel of John; on Thursday, the Epistle lesson should be explained. (Schaff, p. 488)

Even in the last days of his life he delivered four sermons from the pulpit at Eisleben in spite of physical infirmity and pain...He preached without notes, after meditation, under the inspiration of the moment.

Luther and his fellow reformers in Wittenberg took religious education seriously. Here is an example of worship services and sermon texts during one week:

Sunday, 5 am - Pauline Epistles

Wrote the

Luther knew most of the NT and large sections of the OT by memory.

"To pray well is half the study." (Luther's motto)

"The Holy Scriptures require a humble reader who shows reverence and fear toward the Word of God and constantly says, 'Teach me, teach me, teach me!' The Spirit resists the proud. Though they study diligently and some preach Christ purely for a time, nevertheless, God excludes them from the church if they're proud. Wherefore every proud person is a heretic, if not actually, then potentially. However, it is difficult for a man who has excellent gifts not to be arrogant. Those whom God adorns with great gifts He plunges into the most severe trials in order that they may learn that they're nothing...Pride drove the angel out of heaven and spoils many preachers. Accordingly it's humility that's needed in the study of sacred literature." (Luther)

Luther's companion Veit Dietrich who wrote to Melanchthon in 1530...

Luther preached an estimated 4,000 sermons...He also lectured and wrote commentaries on numerous books of the Bible.

[Luther's Morning Prayer] My heavenly Father, I thank you, through Jesus Christ, Your beloved Son, that You kept me safe from every evil and danger last night. Save me, I pray, today as well, from every evil and sin, so that all I do and the way that I live will please you. I put myself in your care, body and soul and all that I have. Let Your holy Angels be with me, so that the evil enemy will not gain power over me. Amen.

[Luther's Evening Prayer] My Heavenly Father, I thank You, through Jesus Christ, Your beloved Son, that You have protected me, by Your grace. Forgive, I pray, all my sins and the evil I have done. Protect me, by Your grace tonight. I put myself in your care, body and soul and all that I have. Let Your holy Angels be with me, so that the evil enemy will not gain power over me. Amen.

"He was always teaching, whether in the classroom or the pulpit; and he was always preaching, whether in the pulpit or the classroom." (Roland Bainton)

Wrote a pamphlet entitles Newspaper from the Rhine, debunking the worship of relics. In it, he sarcastically spoke about new relics recently discovered...

1.) A nice section from Moses left horn.
2.) three flames from the burning bush on Mount Sinai.
3.) two feathers and an egg from the Holy Spirit.
4.) a remnant from the flag with which Christ opened hell.
5.) A large lock of Beelzebub's beard, stuck on the same flag.
6.) one-half of the archangel Gabriel's wing.
7.) a whole pound of the wind which roared by Elijah in the cave on Mount Horeb.
8.) two ells (about 90 inches) of sound from the trumpets on Mt. Sinai.
9.) thirty blasts from the trumpets on Mt. Sinai.
10.) a large, heavy piece of the shoult with which the children of Israel tumbled the walls of Jericho.
11.) five nice, shiny strings from David's harp.
12.) three beautiful locks of Absalom's hair, which got caught in the oak and left him hanging.

The most important example of dogmatic influence in Luther's version is the famous interpolation of the word alone in Rom. 3:28, by which he intended to emphasize his solifidian doctrine of justification, on the ple
a that the German idiom required the insertion for the sake of clearness.

http://www.grace4u.org/Topical/luther.htm