• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

What are YOU currently reading? (8)

Rebecca Jo

Jun 17, 2024
British Columbia
✟3,148.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
My mum has the Cornwall trilogy from Sarah E. Ladd, and she lent me the first two books to read before Mum's bestie has time for them. The first was The Governess of Penwythe Hall, and I enjoyed how she wrote the characters and the settings. The plot was interesting overall, could have had even less romance for me. LOL (I'm more interested in spiritual journeys in most Christian books.)

Looking forward to the second, and hoping these books inspire me - though I won't write 1800's England, I might feel like creative writing after reading a good novel! :)

Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟335,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I am reading the Area X Trilogy (soon to become a quadrology) by Jeff Vandermeer. The books Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance (soon to be followed by Absolution). The books tell the story of the aftermath of an event that created some sort of ecological zone of isolation in the US Southern Coastline. Over the course of the books the bizarre and unsettling nature of Area X is explored by various member of The Southern Reach (organization overseeing the potentially 'alien' invasion of the region).

The books are not for everyone. They belong into a sub-genre of Strange Fiction or even Cosmic (Lovecraftian) Horror.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,121,170.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
1724208911105.png

Upvote 0

LoriSaysHey2U

Aug 20, 2024
San Diego
✟1,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Origins of the Hebrews by Douglas Petrovich PhD. Answers the question, "Who was the Pharaoh of the Exodus." Douglas Petrovich is a Christian and earned his PhD from the University of Toronto, with a major in Syro-Palestinian archeology. The latest research he presents is connected to the unexpected discovery of interconnecting archeological, epigraphical, and iconographical evidence that attests to the presence of Israelites in Egypt over virtually the entire 430 years.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,121,170.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Origins of the Hebrews by Douglas Petrovich PhD. Answers the question, "Who was the Pharaoh of the Exodus." Douglas Petrovich is a Christian and earned his PhD from the University of Toronto, with a major in Syro-Palestinian archeology. The latest research he presents is connected to the unexpected discovery of interconnecting archeological, epigraphical, and iconographical evidence that attests to the presence of Israelites in Egypt over virtually the entire 430 years.

Please let me know if you think it's any good.

Upvote 0

LoriSaysHey2U

Aug 20, 2024
San Diego
✟1,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Please let me know if you think it's any good.
It is excellent! I learned so many new things. For example.

In Exodus chapters 1 and 2, you all know the story about how baby Moses was saved from the evil Pharaoh (we now know was Thutmosis I) who ordered all male Hebrew children killed because there were too many of them. Well, did you know that the Pharaoh's daughter, (her name was Hapshepsut), is the one who drew baby Moses from the Nile and raised him as her own? Such a wonderful story of how Israel's planned extinction (by Satan) was thwarted by God by using this evil Pharoah's own daughter to save and raise Moses who would eventually free the Hebrews and end the 18th dynasty rule under Amenhotep II, the Exodus pharoah. History also shows that Egyptian history tried to wipe Hapshepsut from their historical records for what she did.

Reactions: .Mikha'el.
Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟335,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Just started Acceptance, the third book the the Area X/Southern Reach series. The first two being Annihilation and Authority. The series is written by Jeff Vandermeer. The next book in the series is due to come out in October 2024. It is called Absolution.

Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟335,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I finished From Farmworker to Astronaut (Jose Hernandez) last night. Really good, especially if you're a space nerd. ;)
I may have to check that out. I am a big space nerd.

Jose Hernandez journey to being and astronaut reminds of the quote from the stoic philosopher, Seneca the Younger: Non est ad astra mollis e terris via (There is no easy way from the Earth to the stars).

Reactions: Rebecca Jo
Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟335,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I finished The Area X books (Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance) by Jeff Vandermeer.

I am now starting Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. It is set in the 22nd century. An object is spotted coming into the Solar System from interstellar space. It is quickly realized the object is manufactured and it was not manufactured by Humans. A mission is sent to land on the object and investigate.

Upvote 0