• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Opinion: Catholics Should Not Be Organ Donors When ‘Brain Death’ Is the Standard...

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟92,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Read the headline of the thread, then read the article. There are two different definitions used and of which the thread is about
Read the Catholic teaching on organ harvesting. Then read the medical requirements for harvesting vital organs.

Catholic teaching requires that the death of the donor must be a moral certainty. The medical requirement for the harvesting of vital organs must come from a living donor.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟205,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was a witness of him seeing, hearing, and observing and eye dilation to light.
I was a witness of them wanting him to be wheeled into OP for harvesting.

What are you telling me, exactly?
I wasn't there?
It wasn't brain death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟205,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's my understanding she was essentially starved to death and given no food and water.

She had an eating disorder than caused her to collapse and go into a coma.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
This was argued about in Catholic Answers. Then the autopsy report was released and those
who argued against removing her life support, denied the accuracy of the report.

The bottom line was, she needed to be left to die from early on. Her parents caused her suffering
as they fought against the husband, but he finally won.

Heaven is around the corner if we let the person go.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟205,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Read the Catholic teaching on organ harvesting. Then read the medical requirements for harvesting vital organs.

Catholic teaching requires that the death of the donor must be a moral certainty. The medical requirement for the harvesting of vital organs must come from a living donor.
Different issue! If a person is brain dead, let them go to be with their Creator. If the person is only partially brain dead,
then keep them alive and as comfortable as possible.

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟92,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Different issue! If a person is brain dead, let them go to be with their Creator. If the person is only partially brain dead,
then keep them alive and as comfortable as possible.
You are still missing the thread's point.

Yes, Catholic teaching allows others to pull the plug on a heart/lung machine and let the loved one die. The teaching does not allow anyone to kill that person by surgically removing vital organs while the donor remains on the heart/lung machine.

"Brain dead" is the invention of a few Harvard docs to justify just that immoral act to increase the supply of organs for transplantation.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟307,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
This was argued about in Catholic Answers. Then the autopsy report was released and those
who argued against removing her life support, denied the accuracy of the report.

The bottom line was, she needed to be left to die from early on. Her parents caused her suffering

Heaven is around the corner if we let the person go.
Yeah, that's my understanding she had significant brain damage as well.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟205,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Yes, Catholic teaching allows others to pull the plug on a heart/lung machine and let the loved one die. The teaching does not allow anyone to kill that person by surgically removing vital organs while the donor remains on the heart/lung machine.

"Brain dead" is the invention of a few Harvard docs to justify just that immoral act to increase the supply of organs for transplantation.
I understand, but the title of the thread and the context of the article are different, which is my point.

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟92,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How do you know she was suffering with enough certitude to let her die?

I should like particularly to underline how the administration of water and food, even when provided by artificial means, always represents a natural means of preserving life, not a medical act. Its use, furthermore, should be considered, in principle, ordinary and proportionate, and as such morally obligatory, insofar as and until it is seen to have attained its proper finality, which in the present case consists in providing nourishment to the patient and alleviation of his suffering.
In Catholic teaching, taking a loved one off a heart-lung machine is permissible as an extraordinary treatment. Providing nutrition through a feeding tube is ordinary treatment.

Consider what a mother naturally does for her child who as an infant cannot feed itself or control its environment. She feeds her infant and controls its environment. However, mothers do not breathe or provide the means to circulate the infant's blood.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟205,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
She was kept from going to Heaven by the use of extreme medical practices.

Do I know exactly that she was suffering physical pain? No one knows for sure
as she couldn't speak.

However, using extreme measures as they did for so long, was wrong and against Catholic teaching.

A feeding tube inserted through surgery is extreme.

A feeding tube through the nose is not.

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟92,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The same logic would prevent surgeons from removing a burst appendix so as to allow the person to "go to heaven".
However, using extreme measures as they did for so long, was wrong and against Catholic teaching.
No. The teaching does not require one to implement extreme measures, but the teaching does not proscribe the use of such treatments.

Using your same logic would prevent the treatment of children who contract polio with portable ventilators.

Both means are artificial means and are a moral obligation for those attending the patient.

But I think you are still missing the point.

Let's start with your term "partial brain death". The term is synonymous with "still alive" and only in that sense is instructive. Your term "full brain death" does not occur in the literature and has no different meaning than "brain death".

Let us suppose that those responsible for the patient rationalize away the explicit teaching on one's moral obligation to provide such care. They elect instead to starve their "loved one" to death. They still may not permit the harvesting of the patient's vital organs until the patient is dead. Dead patients do not possess transplantable organs. You have not in your arguments addressed the thread's topic or related article.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟205,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The same logic would prevent surgeons from removing a burst appendix so as to allow the person to "go to heaven".

No. The teaching does not require one to implement extreme measures, but the teaching does not proscribe the use of such treatments.

Using your same logic would prevent the treatment of children who contract polio with portable ventilators.

Both means are artificial means and are a moral obligation for those attending the patient.

But I think you are still missing the point.

Let's start with your term "partial brain death". The term is synonymous with "still alive" and only in that sense is instructive. Your term "full brain death" does not occur in the literature and has no different meaning than "brain death".

Let us suppose that those responsible for the patient rationalize away the explicit teaching on one's moral obligation to provide such care. They elect instead to starve their "loved one" to death. They still may not permit the harvesting of the patient's vital organs until the patient is dead. Dead patients do not possess transplantable organs. You have not in your arguments addressed the thread's topic or related article.
An appendectomy is routine surgery, so there is no comparison.

Children with polio, can live with their disease without using extreme practices.

My son was born when my wife was just 27 weeks pregnant. He was in neo-natal intensive care in Boston and he essentially
was dead when the doctors tried one last thing, which saved his life. I have experience with what is extreme and what is
not, so don't preach to me about it.

Also, my wife as a hospice nurse and I was a hospice volunteer. We have experience with life and death issues. At
some point the family has to let go of their loved one and not do more harm. It's what DNR's are for. Without a DNR
EMT's or doctors will try to bring back a dying person to life, only to have him go through the process of death all over
again.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟528,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I should like particularly to underline how the administration of water and food, even when provided by artificial means, always represents a natural means of preserving life, not a medical act. Its use, furthermore, should be considered, in principle, ordinary and proportionate, and as such morally obligatory, insofar as and until it is seen to have attained its proper finality, which in the present case consists in providing nourishment to the patient and alleviation of his suffering.
In Catholic teaching, taking a loved one off a heart-lung machine is permissible as an extraordinary treatment. Providing nutrition through a feeding tube is ordinary treatment.

Consider what a mother naturally does for her child who as an infant cannot feed itself or control its environment. She feeds her infant and controls its environment. However, mothers do not breathe or provide the means to circulate the infant's blood.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!

That's all Schiavo had was nutrition.
Not heart/lung and she verbalized as a disabled person, but she verbalized.

I was just about to look up the Pope's statement. TY.

As for transplantation is all about money now. I saw it happen before my eyes with my nephew who could respond.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟528,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Do I know exactly that she was suffering physical pain? No one knows for sure
as she couldn't speak.

Dehydration and starvation are one of the cruelest deaths.
Extreme pain.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟528,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's my understanding she was essentially starved to death and given no food and water.

She had an eating disorder than caused her to collapse and go into a coma.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
It was just a feeding bag.
No comatose.
Disabled like a person with cerebral palsy...or stroke.
No breathing vent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟92,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have experience with what is extreme and what is not, so don't preach to me about it. ...
Also, my wife as a hospice nurse and I was a hospice volunteer. We have experience with life and death issues
I am glad your son survived. I buried mine.

I have not been preaching but quoting our Magisterium on the moral issues of transplanting organs, as I do again below.

The evaluation of probabilities, founded on waning hopes for recovery when the vegetative state is prolonged beyond a year, cannot ethically justify the cessation or interruption of minimal care for the patient, including nutrition and hydration. Death by starvation or dehydration is, in fact, the only possible outcome as a result of their withdrawal. In this sense it ends up becoming, if done knowingly and willingly, true and proper euthanasia by omission.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟528,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am glad your son survived. I buried mine.

I have not been preaching but quoting our Magisterium on the moral issues of transplanting organs, as I do again below.

The evaluation of probabilities, founded on waning hopes for recovery when the vegetative state is prolonged beyond a year, cannot ethically justify the cessation or interruption of minimal care for the patient, including nutrition and hydration. Death by starvation or dehydration is, in fact, the only possible outcome as a result of their withdrawal. In this sense it ends up becoming, if done knowingly and willingly, true and proper euthanasia by omission.
:oldthumbsup: :prayer:

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟205,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

And it's against Catholic teaching and the law to harvest organs out of a person that isn't dead.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟205,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
EXACTLY!!!!!!!

That's all Schiavo had was nutrition.
Not heart/lung and she verbalized as a disabled person, but she verbalized.

I was just about to look up the Pope's statement. TY.

As for transplantation is all about money now. I saw it happen before my eyes with my nephew who could respond.
The parents claimed that she was still communicating via blinking her eyes and such. However, the doctors
stated that this was just nerve response to the medication that was being pumped into her.

For all we know is that she was asking to be let go.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟205,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It was just a feeding bag.
No comatose.
Disabled like a person with cerebral palsy...or stroke.
No breathing vent.
My son has cerebral palsy and Schriavo was nothing near that.

Upvote 0