• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

No, Biden didn’t take FEMA relief money to use on migrants — but Trump did

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟819,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Department of Homeland Security Announces $300 Million in Direct Funding to Communities Receiving Migrants and $340 Million for A New Competitive Awards Process

WASHINGTON – Today, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), announced $300 million in grants through the Shelter and Services Program (SSP), which was authorized by Congress to support communities that are providing services to migrants. $275 million will be distributed in the first allocation, and the remaining $25 million will be allocated later in the year to accommodate evolving operational requirements. The initial funding will be available to 55 grant recipients for temporary shelter and other eligible costs associated with migrants awaiting the outcome of their immigration proceedings. Additionally, the Department is announcing $340.9 million through the Shelter and Services Program-Competitive grant program to be allocated before the end of this Fiscal Year.

Today’s announcement responds to feedback from recipients in terms of providing additional flexibilities and an opportunity for new recipients through the competitive program, while continuing to require budget submissions and review prior to releasing funds, which is standard practice at FEMA. It also builds on the support being provided to communities on the border and in the interior. Last year, more than $780 million awarded through SSP and the Emergency Food and Shelter Program – Humanitarian Awards (EFSP-H) funding in Fiscal Year 2023 which went to organizations and cities across the country. DHS also works to streamline and improve access to work permits for eligible noncitizens, including through the announcement last week of a temporary final rule to increase the automatic extension period for certain employment authorization documents to prevent a lapse for work-authorized individuals to be in the workforce, supporting local economies.

Is DHS lying? There is a billion in spending right there.

Department of Homeland Security Announces $380 Million in Additional Funding to Communities Receiving Migrants

WASHINGTON – Today, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), announced the allocation of over $380 million through the Shelter and Services Program (SSP). Through the SSP, DHS directly supports communities that are providing critical support such as food, shelter, clothing, acute medical care, and transportation to noncitizens recently released from DHS custody and awaiting their immigration court proceedings. FEMA, in coordination with CBP, is administering these SSP grants with state, local and tribal governments as well as nongovernmental organizations to help prevent the overcrowding of short-term CBP holding facilities. This funding augments the $259.13 million in SSP grants that DHS distributed in April 2024.

Department of Homeland Security Announces Distribution of More Than $290 Million in Congressional Funding for Communities Receiving Migrants

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,899,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Department of Homeland Security Announces $300 Million in Direct Funding to Communities Receiving Migrants and $340 Million for A New Competitive Awards Process

WASHINGTON – Today, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), announced $300 million in grants through the Shelter and Services Program (SSP), which was authorized by Congress to support communities that are providing services to migrants. $275 million will be distributed in the first allocation, and the remaining $25 million will be allocated later in the year to accommodate evolving operational requirements. The initial funding will be available to 55 grant recipients for temporary shelter and other eligible costs associated with migrants awaiting the outcome of their immigration proceedings. Additionally, the Department is announcing $340.9 million through the Shelter and Services Program-Competitive grant program to be allocated before the end of this Fiscal Year.

Today’s announcement responds to feedback from recipients in terms of providing additional flexibilities and an opportunity for new recipients through the competitive program, while continuing to require budget submissions and review prior to releasing funds, which is standard practice at FEMA. It also builds on the support being provided to communities on the border and in the interior. Last year, more than $780 million awarded through SSP and the Emergency Food and Shelter Program – Humanitarian Awards (EFSP-H) funding in Fiscal Year 2023 which went to organizations and cities across the country. DHS also works to streamline and improve access to work permits for eligible noncitizens, including through the announcement last week of a temporary final rule to increase the automatic extension period for certain employment authorization documents to prevent a lapse for work-authorized individuals to be in the workforce, supporting local economies.

Is DHS lying? There is a billion in spending right there.

Department of Homeland Security Announces $380 Million in Additional Funding to Communities Receiving Migrants

WASHINGTON – Today, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), announced the allocation of over $380 million through the Shelter and Services Program (SSP). Through the SSP, DHS directly supports communities that are providing critical support such as food, shelter, clothing, acute medical care, and transportation to noncitizens recently released from DHS custody and awaiting their immigration court proceedings. FEMA, in coordination with CBP, is administering these SSP grants with state, local and tribal governments as well as nongovernmental organizations to help prevent the overcrowding of short-term CBP holding facilities. This funding augments the $259.13 million in SSP grants that DHS distributed in April 2024.

Department of Homeland Security Announces Distribution of More Than $290 Million in Congressional Funding for Communities Receiving Migrants

I don't understand why you cannot understand that the Disaster Fund and the Shelter and Services Program are different funds, even if the two are under FEMA.

Trump accused Biden of taking money from the Disaster Fund. He didn't, nor is there proof that he did.
The FEMA and CPD Migrant Care fund was started in 2019 by Congress during the Trump administration. It was replaced by the Shelter and Services Program in 2023 by congress. It was funded separately from the Disaster Fund by Congress. For 2024, Congress allotted $40 billion and $641 million for the Shelter and Services Program.

So your quote is simply about one program, the Shelter and Services program, and NOT about the Disaster Fund.
They are two separate things.

Give it up, hislegacy.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟819,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Give it up, hislegacy.

If you are so emotional to the topic you have the need to personally address me. Perhaps you should step back, take a breath. Maybe spend some time in Worship.

It’s only a political debate. Relax

I think Sojourner said it best:

Members who participate in the American Politics forum are expected to treat one another with courtesy and respect at all times, ESPECIALLY when you disagree with each other.
  • When you disagree, address the context of the post and not the poster.
  • When you disagree with someone's position, you should post evidence and supporting statements for your position. This policy, sometimes referred to as "X means Y because of Z", must be followed especially when posting claims that are widely considered to be controversial.
  • When you disagree and you find yourself becoming frustrated and angry, step away from the computer and give yourself time to cool down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟342,637.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So the lies, or stories or conspiracies or rumors I have heard from the right is that FEMA is broke and doesn't have enough for Helene relief. Or that Biden took money from FEMA for illegals. But guess who did take money from the disaster fund? Trump. Guess who did delay sending services to California when it was burning? Trump. Who delayed resources for Puerto Rico's recovery from Hurricane Maria? Trump.
This Mr Trump sure sounds like a smart cookie. All this is just common sense. Anyone would have done the same in his position. His only crime was being caught. Who here can say that THEY have never been caught?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,899,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you are so emotional to the topic you have the need to personally address me. Perhaps you should step back, take a breath. Maybe spend some time in Worship.

It’s only a political debate. Relax

I think Sojourner said it best:

Members who participate in the American Politics forum are expected to treat one another with courtesy and respect at all times, ESPECIALLY when you disagree with each other.
  • When you disagree, address the context of the post and not the poster.
  • When you disagree with someone's position, you should post evidence and supporting statements for your position. This policy, sometimes referred to as "X means Y because of Z", must be followed especially when posting claims that are widely considered to be controversial.
  • When you disagree and you find yourself becoming frustrated and angry, step away from the computer and give yourself time to cool down.

I am not upset and please do not try to moderate the forum. I responded to your post and used your username. That is not against the rules. Try to stick to the topic.

What I note in this thread is that no one can prove that Biden took money out of the disaster fund. Trump lied about it and probably forgot that he was the one to do that. From the original link in the OP:

It turns out that’s because he did this. In 2019, the Trump administration, in the middle of hurricane season, told Congress that it was taking $271 million from DHS programs, including $155 million from the disaster fund, to pay for immigration detention space and temporary hearing locations for asylum seekers who had been forced to wait in Mexico. “The U.S. is facing a security and humanitarian crisis on the Southern border,” the administration said in its notice that it was redirecting the funds.​

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟819,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not upset and please do not try to moderate the forum. I responded to your post and used your username. That is not against the rules. Try to stick to the topic.
First, I am not trying to moderate - I'd never ever overstep my bounds, simply reminding an emotional friend of the rules is not an attempt at moderation. The moment you addressed me personally it went off topic - why would that be? because our forum rules state it. That is why I posted them so you could understand why I said what I said.

I replied to what you brought into the thread - want to stay on topic - I was until you made it personal - but that's plain. So after this post I will withdraw. I would humbly ask you to please not address me personally in the future. My request is that you please treat me with courtesy and respect, as I have you. I don't mind the intellectual sparring, but let's not get personal. Thank you for your consideration in my request.
What I note in this thread is that no one can prove that Biden took money out of the disaster fund. Trump lied about it and probably forgot that he was the one to do that. From the original link in the OP:
No one has yet to prove where any of the monies went - not from government sources. Instead of going back five years to develop a but Trump reply - just simply show where the money went to and that ends all debate. And that is my point

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,899,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
First, I am not trying to moderate - I'd never ever overstep my bounds, simply reminding an emotional friend of the rules is not an attempt at moderation. The moment you addressed me personally it went off topic - why would that be? because our forum rules state it. That is why I posted them so you could understand why I said what I said.
No, your entire post was off topic. The post you made before that was #62 and was basically on topic but not really addressing my question to you about where the proof that Biden took money from the disaster fund. It was your post, and I used your name.

There have been two significant misunderstandings that you posted. One, there was the assumption that I was talking about the current low level of the disaster fund as being Trump's fault. I clarified it here
Then there has been the misunderstanding that the disaster fund and the Shelter and Services Program are the same fund. They are not. They are funded separately. I clarified that here.

No one has to respond to this thread but I would like those who respond to read up on the topic. But that is optimistic of me.

I replied to what you brought into the thread - want to stay on topic - I was until you made it personal - but that's plain. So after this post I will withdraw. I would humbly ask you to please not address me personally in the future. My request is that you please treat me with courtesy and respect, as I have you. I don't mind the intellectual sparring, but let's not get personal. Thank you for your consideration in my request.
Then stick to the topic then.

No one has yet to prove where any of the monies went - not from government sources. Instead of going back five years to develop a but Trump reply - just simply show where the money went to and that ends all debate. And that is my point
Clearly there is still a lack of understanding about the OP and what this thread is about.

The topic is really hypocrisy. Trump direct funds from the disaster fund in 2019 in order to build more migrant detention centers and have more judges for border issues. He did this in the middle of the 2019 Hurricane season. Links were provided. Point is, Trump did take money from the disaster fund. From the OP:
In 2019, the Trump administration, in the middle of hurricane season, told Congress that it was taking $271 million from DHS programs, including $155 million from the disaster fund, to pay for immigration detention space and temporary hearing locations for asylum seekers who had been forced to wait in Mexico. “The U.S. is facing a security and humanitarian crisis on the Southern border,” the administration said in its notice that it was redirecting the funds.

Then, just recently, without any support at all, Trump claims Biden took money from the disaster fund. It was not true. The fund is low now because we had 2 historic hurricanes but other disasters this year. The disaster fund is funded yearly.
It is like Trump ate shrimp in 2019, then accuses Biden of eating shrimp in 2024, except that Biden never ate it. Hypocrisy. It is ignorant and demonstates poor character.

Trump's claim shows the lack of understanding he and those who are his aides have regarding the different funds. He doesn't understand that the Disaster Fund and the Shelter and Services Program are two separate programs and funded separately. Using money in the Shelter and Services Program is not taking money from the Disaster Fund. Both are funded separately by Congress. I cannot explain this clearer than I have.

So there is NO proof to back up Trump's claim that Biden took from the Disaster Fund. It is another lie by Trump.
Now if one is not able to understand that no one said that the fund is low now because of Trump, then it is best not to respond imho.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟406,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This Mr Trump sure sounds like a smart cookie. All this is just common sense. Anyone would have done the same in his position. His only crime was being caught. Who here can say that THEY have never been caught?
I would hope most of us never defrauded scores of people who trusted us for thousands of dollars. I would think most of us have never gotten caught for sexual assault. I doubt very much if most of us have betrayed three different spouses in adultery. I would hope that most of us aren't convicted felons.

Stuff like that.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟184,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, your entire post was off topic. The post you made before that was #62 and was basically on topic but not really addressing my question to you about where the proof that Biden took money from the disaster fund. It was your post, and I used your name.

There have been two significant misunderstandings that you posted. One, there was the assumption that I was talking about the current low level of the disaster fund as being Trump's fault. I clarified it here
Then there has been the misunderstanding that the disaster fund and the Shelter and Services Program are the same fund. They are not. They are funded separately. I clarified that here.

No one has to respond to this thread but I would like those who respond to read up on the topic. But that is optimistic of me.

Then stick to the topic then.

Clearly there is still a lack of understanding about the OP and what this thread is about.

The topic is really hypocrisy. Trump direct funds from the disaster fund in 2019 in order to build more migrant detention centers and have more judges for border issues. He did this in the middle of the 2019 Hurricane season. Links were provided. Point is, Trump did take money from the disaster fund. From the OP:

Then, just recently, without any support at all, Trump claims Biden took money from the disaster fund. It was not true. The fund is low now because we had 2 historic hurricanes but other disasters this year. The disaster fund is funded yearly.
It is like Trump ate shrimp in 2019, then accuses Biden of eating shrimp in 2024, except that Biden never ate it. Hypocrisy. It is ignorant and demonstates poor character.

Trump's claim shows the lack of understanding he and those who are his aides have regarding the different funds. He doesn't understand that the Disaster Fund and the Shelter and Services Program are two separate programs and funded separately. Using money in the Shelter and Services Program is not taking money from the Disaster Fund. Both are funded separately by Congress. I cannot explain this clearer than I have.

So there is NO proof to back up Trump's claim that Biden took from the Disaster Fund. It is another lie by Trump.
Now if one is not able to understand that no one said that the fund is low now because of Trump, then it is best not to respond imho.
I don't think people care that the money comes from two different funds just that a billion dollars was spent on housing migrants and then Mayorkas says FEMA doesn't have enough money for hurricane season.
And Trump spent $277 million on this and Biden spent a billion?
Trump didn't get all the facts right but the sentiment is the same

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟406,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

The real issue isn't how Trump weakened FEMA or how Biden has (according to one republican governor) done a "superb" job of dealing with the crisis. This is the take-away:

How unusual has this hurricane season been?

Hurricanes Helene and Milton – which have devastated parts of the south-east United States – have bookended an exceptionally busy period of tropical storms.
In less than two weeks, five hurricanes formed, which is not far off what the Atlantic would typically get in an entire year.
The storms were powerful, gaining strength with rapid speed.
Yet in early September, when hurricane activity is normally at its peak, there were peculiarly few storms.
So, how unusual has this hurricane season been – and what is behind it?
Scientists at the World Weather Attribution group have found that the winds and rain from both Helene and Milton were worsened by climate change.
“One thing this hurricane season is illustrating clearly is that the impacts of climate change are here now,” explains Andra Garner from Rowan University in the US.
“Storms like Beryl, Helene, and Milton all strengthened from fairly weak hurricanes into major hurricanes within 12 hours or less, as they travelled over unnaturally warm ocean waters.”
Milton also took an unusual, although not unprecedented, storm path, tracking eastward through the Gulf of Mexico, where waters have been exceptionally warm.
“It is very rare to see a [category] five hurricane appearing in Gulf of Mexico,” says Xiangbo Feng, research scientist in tropical cyclones at the University of Reading.
Warmer oceans make stronger hurricanes - and rapid intensification - more likely, because it means storms can pick up more energy, potentially leading to higher wind speeds.

It's going to get worse before it gets better. Trump might still call all of this a "fraud." But it's real, and it's killing people and ruining the lives of countless others.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟406,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think people care that the money comes from two different funds just that a billion dollars was spent on housing migrants and then Mayorkas says FEMA doesn't have enough money for hurricane season.
Trump spent over $3 billion on his ineffective and easily-breached "wall" alone. It could have been worse. If Trump hadn't lost in 2020:

The price tag for President Trump's border wall has topped $11 billion — or nearly $20 million a mile — to become the most expensive wall of its kind anywhere in the world.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟184,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump spent over $3 billion on his ineffective and easily-breached "wall" alone. It could have been worse. If Trump hadn't lost in 2020:

The price tag for President Trump's border wall has topped $11 billion — or nearly $20 million a mile — to become the most expensive wall of its kind anywhere in the world.

response, the Biden administration has spent tens of billions of dollars helping to ease the pain caused by their illegal migrant invasion. Local governments are required to provide education to all children, regardless of legal status, and the Department of Education helps local governments pay to educate these children. Hospitals must provide emergency care to all patients, even illegal immigrants without health insurance, and so the Department of Health and Human Services helps local hospitals stay afloat by reimbursing them through Medicaid.

And the Department of Homeland Security helps provide food, housing, and transportation to illegal immigrants through FEMA’s Emergency Food and Shelter Program and Shelter and Services Program Awards program. When the influx of migrants was bankrupting cities across the country this past winter, Democratic mayors traveled to the White House to beg Biden for more FEMA money to help their communities “meet the growing needs of these individuals.”

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟613,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, Biden didn't spend "a billion." Congress did. Congress decided where that money was supposed to go.

I agree that people just care that the money was spent on migrants, but the lack of basic understanding about how things get funded and the willingness to believe lies about it is getting rather frustrating.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟184,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, Biden didn't spend "a billion." Congress did. Congress decided where that money was supposed to go.

I agree that people just care that the money was spent on migrants, but the lack of basic understanding about how things get funded and the willingness to believe lies about it is getting rather frustrating.
Correct, I should have said under Biden for a problem caused by Biden.
Thanks for the clarification

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,899,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
People complain about all kinds of things the government spends money on.
The point of the OP is that Trump was hypocritical in falsely claiming that Biden took money from a fund, when Trump actually did divert money from the Disaster fund.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟406,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
response, the Biden administration has spent tens of billions of dollars helping to ease the pain caused by their illegal migrant invasion.
I thought you said 1 billion. Why not show us the numbers and the links to check on them?

Local governments are required to provide education to all children, regardless of legal status, and the Department of Education helps local governments pay to educate these children.
Gov. Rick Perry of Texas blew his chance to be a republican candidate for president when he admitted that he favored education for the children of illegal immigrants. It was a matter of common sense for him. All those kids with nothing to do during the day when everyone else is at work or in school seems like a recipe for trouble. And Texas is already struggling with a shoddy education system that produces uneducated workers. Perry supported Texas businesses because being "good for bidness" used to be a republican thing.

No longer, apparently.

When the influx of migrants was bankrupting cities across the country this past winter,
Which cites went bankrupt? Don't remember that. Checkable links?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟406,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
People complain about all kinds of things the government spends money on.
The point of the OP is that Trump was hypocritical in falsely claiming that Biden took money from a fund, when Trump actually did divert money from the Disaster fund.
Today's winner.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟184,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought you said 1 billion. Why not show us the numbers and the links to check on them?

Gov. Rick Perry of Texas blew his chance to be a republican candidate for president when he admitted that he favored education for the children of illegal immigrants. It was a matter of common sense for him. All those kids with nothing to do during the day when everyone else is at work or in school seems like a recipe for trouble. And Texas is already struggling with a shoddy education system that produces uneducated workers. Perry supported Texas businesses because being "good for bidness" used to be a republican thing.

No longer, apparently.

You have a link to the article and
$150.7 billion and counting

And in just one city

Wait, it's worse $451 billion

Americans could pay up to $451 billion to care for migrants who entered the US illegally, but have been released into the country or escaped from custody, according to a new report due out Monday from House Republicans and obtained exclusively by The Post.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟406,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

(some other republican politicians say an anti-immigrant group says so, ,but they present no evidence)

Pretty much what we expected.

New York City has surpassed $5 billion in spending on the two-year migrant crisis

Legal migrants? I think you've lost your focus here.

Wait, it's worse $451 billion
Because some Trumper politician says so? But no evidence presented. Pretty much expected.

When you get some checkable evidence, come on back and show us, hear?

You have a link to the article

No evidence that any city went bankrupt. Just some Trump-style "truthful hyperbole?" No surprise there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0