• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Kamala Harris slammed for deploying a ‘fake accent’ in Detroit speech

Can you spot the difference?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,026,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
US Vice President Kamala Harris was roasted online after being caught using a new accent during a campaign rally. The former prosecutor stopped by Detroit, Michigan on Monday to deliver a speech and snap up any blue-collar union worker votes. Michigan is considered a critical battleground state for the Democratic presidential nominee ahead of the November election. During her speech, Harris was caught using a Detroit accent and was subsequently roasted for it by users on social media. “This is her seventh new accent in four weeks. She has literally never used this accent before. She grew up in Canada. Phoniest politician in all of politics,” one user wrote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟222,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
US Vice President Kamala Harris was roasted online after being caught using a new accent during a campaign rally. The former prosecutor stopped by Detroit, Michigan on Monday to deliver a speech and snap up any blue-collar union worker votes. Michigan is considered a critical battleground state for the Democratic presidential nominee ahead of the November election. During her speech, Harris was caught using a Detroit accent and was subsequently roasted for it by users on social media. “This is her seventh new accent in four weeks. She has literally never used this accent before. She grew up in Canada. Phoniest politician in all of politics,” one user wrote.

Sounded normal to me. People can develop more than one accent.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟222,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The thread was created to expose pretentious behavior.
I've seen many videos of her speaking with that type of accent. It doesn't mean she's pretending to be something she's not.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,316,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I've seen many videos of her speaking with that type of accent.
You should watch the video that @Michie posted. They have her up to 7 accents now, including French.

• Haha
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,316,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
What difference does that make?
I'm wondering how long it took her, from the time that she stepped off the plane, to acquire this accent; or did she practice at home?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

E pluribus unum
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟340,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Vice President Kamala Harris was accused Monday of using a “fake accent” in her remarks to teachers union members in Michigan.

Harris, speaking at a Detroit high school, appeared to alter her tone of voice in moments where she became particularly animated and when interacting with supporters in the crowd.

She made a similar speech to union workers in Pittsburgh.

See if you can spot the difference: Clicky
It's called code switching and it is done all the time by people who come from outside the dominant culture.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,316,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It's called code switching and it is done all the time by people who come from outside the dominant culture.
We already covered this, It's not code switching by definition.

However, If you want to chalk it up to her insecurity; I'm not buying it in this case.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟222,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering how long it took her, from the time that she stepped off the plane, to acquire this accent; or did she practice at home?
When I look at her background particularly her Mothers mentors in the civil rights movement, I can see how she could develop several vernaculars.

Berkeley News: Can you give me the 30,000-foot assessment of what your research has found especially interesting or special about the way Kamala Harris speaks?​

Nicole Holliday: She has a really unique style that reflects her biography. She sounds like an African American woman. She sounds like she's from Northern California. She sounds like a charismatic political figure. But these are different identities that one person would have to inhabit all at once, and they're traditionally seen as in conflict.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,316,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If you look at her background particularly her mentors in the civil rights movement you could see how she developed several vernaculars.
Who was her mentor in Detroit? How about France?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟176,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We already covered this, It's not code switching by definition.

However, If you want to chalk it up to her insecurity; I'm not buying it in this case.
It's called Ebonics and it's comical to see the excuses they're making to defend this. It's condescending and pandering

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,316,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It's called Ebonics and it's comical to see the excuses they're making to defend this. It's condescending and pandering
I didn't actually catch her speaking any Ebonics. Maybe I'm a little oblivious to it, having spent a great deal of my life in a predominantly African American community. However her forced feeble attempt to mimic a African American vernacular was embarrassing.

• Agree
Upvote 0