• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Is predestination about the destination or about the path to it?

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟148,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Grammar.

You might start with its name: biblical truth.

If it is not biblical, it is not "biblical" truth.

Biblical truth may not disagree with it but, by definition, it is not "Biblical" truth.
Book chapter and verse for "biblical truth" - that phrase seems to be an invented one, not in the bible anywhere I've seen.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟306,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Book chapter and verse for "biblical truth" - that phrase seems to be an invented one, not in the bible anywhere I've seen.
"God is sovereign" is likewise not in the Bible.

Didn't get the phrase "God is sovereign," didn't get the phrase "God is Triune," and didn't get the phrase "biblical truth" from the Bible.
But it can be shown where they are presented.

"Biblical truth" is a description of the only truth that I accept as authoritative in matters of faith and doctrine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟148,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"God is sovereign" is likewise not in the Bible.

Didn't get the phrase "God is sovereign," didn't get the phrase "God is Triune," and didn't get the phrase "biblical truth" from the Bible.
But it can be shown where they are presented.

"Biblical truth" is a description of the only truth that I accept as authoritative in matters of faith and doctrine.
Show it to be there then, back these claims with evidence.

Upvote 0

jonojim1337

Oct 20, 2023
Nyköping
✟25,671.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, that is just your theology. Give book, chapter, and verse that teaches that the bible is the only authority for "biblical truth".

Perhaps what he means to say is that the Scripture is here to stay even if the man doesn't. The Scripture doesn't need the man. The man needs the Scripture.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟306,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Show it to be there then, back these claims with evidence.
Are you asking me to show that the sovereignty of God and the Trinity are in the Bible?

I am not claiming that "biblical truth" is a phrase from the Bible, just as "God is sovereign" is not a phrase from the Bible.
But both are presented in the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟148,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Are you asking me to show that the sovereignty of God and the Trinity are in the Bible?
Not in any way. Your extraordinary claim about "biblical truth" is what lacks evidence so far.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟148,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps what he means to say is that the Scripture is here to stay even if the man doesn't. The Scripture doesn't need the man. The man needs the Scripture.
The printed form of holy scripture needs mankind to print it.

Upvote 0

jonojim1337

Oct 20, 2023
Nyköping
✟25,671.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Wow it can mean so many different things. Let me clarify then some Biblical truths no one can argue against:

The Only Way To God Is Accepting The Sacrifice Of His Son

Anyone who says a word against that is condemned already.

Heavy truth.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟306,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Show it to be there then, back these caims with evidence.
The authority for Scripture is found in 2 Tim 3:16.

That Scripture (2 Tim 3:16) is true is a matter of faith.

Reactions: jonojim1337
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟148,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The authority for Scripture is found in 2 Tim 3:16.

That Scripture (2 Tim 3:16) is true is a matter of faith.
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
(2 Timothy 3:16-17 NASB)

This passage speaks not of "biblical truth" but of the utility of holy scripture. Its uses? Teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness. Comparable to school textbooks, it lays the foundation for profound truths to be further explored and understood under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The outcome? That the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. Holy scripture prepares one for service. It's time for practical application, for all to reach the unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, growing into maturity, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.

Reactions: jonojim1337
Upvote 0

jonojim1337

Oct 20, 2023
Nyköping
✟25,671.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
(2 Timothy 3:16-17 NASB)

This passage speaks not of "biblical truth" but of the utility of holy scripture. Its uses? Teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness. Comparable to school textbooks, it lays the foundation for profound truths to be further explored and understood under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The outcome? That the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. Holy scripture prepares one for service. It's time for practical application, for all to reach the unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, growing into maturity, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.

The teaching is ultimately that fate is not in our hands. Funny isn't it.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟306,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All Scripture is inspired by God (2 Tim 3:16).
All Scripture is God-breathed (theopneustos). . .biblical truth is God's truth.
Its truth and authority comes from its Author.
It is the only truth that I accept as authoritative for faith and doctrine.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟148,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
All Scripture is God-breathed (theopneustos). . .biblical truth is God's truth.
Its truth and authority comes from its Author.
It is the only truth that I accept as authoritative for faith and doctrine.
It isn't really the only "truth" that you accept because you accept the table of contents of your bible that that came from men like Martin Luther. Besides, the table of contents was predestined by God to pre-date Martin Luther by well over a thousand years. The table of contents ought to look like this:
This complete list is called the canon of Scripture. It includes 46 books for the Old Testament (45 if we count Jeremiah and Lamentations as one) and 27 for the New.91
The Old Testament: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, 1 and 2 Chronicles, Ezra and Nehemiah, Tobit, Judith, Esther, 1 and 2 Maccabees, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, the Song of Songs, the Wisdom of Solomon, Sirach (Ecclesiasticus), Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Baruch, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zachariah and Malachi.​
The New Testament: the Gospels according to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, the Acts of the Apostles, the Letters of St. Paul to the Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, 1 and 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, the Letter to the Hebrews, the Letters of James, 1 and 2 Peter, 1, 2 and 3 John, and Jude, and Revelation (the Apocalypse).​

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟306,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It isn't really the only "truth" that you accept because you accept the table of contents of your bible
I don't have saving faith in the Table of Contents of my Bible.

I hope you don't either. . .

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟148,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't have saving faith in the Table of Contents of my Bible.

I hope you don't either. . .
I have no faith in the table of contents of your bible because I know it is deficient.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟148,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So your faith is in the Table of Contents of your Bible.

Interesting. . .
I really wish you'd stop paraphrasing what I write because what you've done above is arrive at pretty much the opposite of what I said.

Upvote 0

BelieveItOarKnot

Rom 11:32-God bound everyone to disobedience so...
Jun 2, 2024
Florida
✟19,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The debate between Protestants regarding predestination has persisted for nearly five centuries, with neither side conceding. Each believes they have scriptural backing. This dichotomy likely extends to Christian forums, where some argue for free will while others argue for the bondage of the will, each supported by numerous scriptural verses and interpretations. The question remains: Is it the final destination that is predestined, leaving the path open to free will choices, or is the path itself predestined, allowing no deviation by free will until the final destination is reached?
In order to have freewill you'd have to rule out both God and the devil from the will of mankind, neither position of which is scripturally tenable

Which leaves us with predestination. Even double predestination.

Upvote 0

jonojim1337

Oct 20, 2023
Nyköping
✟25,671.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In order to have freewill you'd have to rule out both God and the devil from the will of mankind, neither position of which is scripturally tenable

Which leaves us with predestination. Even double predestination.

I think you are all missing the point. Paul said, should the clay talk back to the potter? No, it shouldn't. That means God's judgements are just in having shaped us the way we are.

Upvote 0