✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Start of a new 'civil war'?

A battle over gun control in Virginia with national implications is heating up as the legislature prepares to vote on sweeping new restrictions and localities band together to defy them in growing numbers.

Virginians turned out to debate the measures at public budget hearings on Thursday, less than a week before the General Assembly's first legislative session of 2020. Both the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) and Gun Owners of America specifically warned about Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam's related budget proposal, which directs $250,000 for the Department of Corrections to incarcerate people as a result of new restrictions.

Another measure included over $4 million and 18 "authorized positions" — part of an apparent team that Second Amendment groups warn could be used to enforce an assault weapons ban. The new General Assembly is expected to vote on two bills in particular – SB 18 and SB 16 – which would ban assault weapons, raise the minimum age of purchase to 21 and require background checks for any firearms transfer.

In the run-up to the session and following state elections in November, a defiant protest movement has taken shape that could influence similar movements in other states. More than 100 cities, towns and counties have passed "sanctuary" resolutions meant to flout an assault weapons ban and other proposals.

According to local outlets, activists on both sides of the debate raised concerns during a hearing in Suffolk.

Gun control standoff heats up in Virginia as 'sanctuaries' grow, big votes loom

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I looked up a map of which areas in the state were declaring themselves gun sanctuaries, and it confirmed my hunch. Here is the map from Gun Rights Watch (whom I'm trusting to give accurate information in their maps):

Virginia has become an overnight tidal wave of Second Amendment Sanctuaries
http://gunrightswatch.com/clientuploads/_photos/_7/_57.gif

What I'm seeing is that the non-sanctuary areas are the urban areas and/or areas with large universities: Hampton Roads, the DC area, Richmond, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, and (surprising to me) Lynchburg. The sanctuary areas are, in general, the more rural areas.

And that fits the complexity of the gun rights issue. Would I own a gun, or want my neighbor to own a gun, if I lived in densely-populated Norfolk? Definitely not. But what if we lived in an isolated house in the western part of the state, where I'm not accidentally going to shoot my next-door neighbor, and where help might take forever to arrive? That's an entirely different matter.

I think what makes the most sense for states like Virginia is a set of gun laws that varies by city/county. Strong restrictions for cities like Norfolk and Portsmouth, much more liberty in rural areas like Bland or Bath counties.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,756.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
People are mostly over reacting, as is usually the case. Whatever bill is passed we can expect a legal challenge. An assault weapons ban has already passed through the courts and found to be Constitutional. As long as the new bill follows that line it will probably be okayed. Go too far and it will probably be struck down.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Start of a new 'civil war'?

Virginians turned out to debate the measures at public budget hearings on Thursday, less than a week before the General Assembly's first legislative session of 2020. Both the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) and Gun Owners of America specifically warned about Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam's related budget proposal, which directs $250,000 for the Department of Corrections to incarcerate people as a result of new restrictions.

Another measure included over $4 million and 18 "authorized positions" — part of an apparent team that Second Amendment groups warn could be used to enforce an assault weapons ban. The new General Assembly is expected to vote on two bills in particular – SB 18 and SB 16 – which would ban assault weapons, raise the minimum age of purchase to 21 and require background checks for any firearms transfer.

It costs something like $60,000 per year to incarcerate 1 person;
$250,000 / $60,000 = 4 people incarcerated for a year.

Likewise, $4 million for "18 authorized persons" comes to $222,000 each.
That doesn't go very far today.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I'm seeing is that the non-sanctuary areas are the urban areas and/or areas with large universities: Hampton Roads, the DC area, Richmond, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, and (surprising to me) Lynchburg. The sanctuary areas are, in general, the more rural areas.

Lynchburg city council usually has a majority of liberals, who represent certain segments of the general population (but not Liberty University). I could get more specific about what crime problems Lynchburg has and who is responsible, but that would be politically incorrect.

Liberty University allows faculty and students who have concealed-carry permits to carry concealed guns on campus. They certainly don't favor the proposed gun restrictions.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Lynchburg city council usually has a majority of liberals, who represent certain segments of the general population (but not Liberty University).

Thanks. Jerry Falwell and Liberty University are famous, but I don't know much about the city itself beyond those famous residents.

Upvote 0