May 23, 2005
✟103,946.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Great move Joe! Making "friends" with every self promotion. Appeal to one voter group by disparaging entire nations. An advise Joe, the sequence of order is think before you speak not the other way around. Also this is the age of social media. Everything you say will be recorded and uploaded somewhere onto the internet. Maybe just maybe don't say the soft part out loud. At least we know how he sees his allies - the same as he sees his enemies. Pawns for re-elections.

In a situation so nuance as macro economics, he can boil down every nations' problem to no immigration. Does he have any idea how things work? More people more productivity right? More consumers right? New people new ideas right? Absolutely moronic logic. India & China two of the biggest populations in the world are having economic issues because there is not enough immigration he reasoned. I fail to see how. Even if I don't major in Economics (I'm in IT) I know it is not as simple as adding people. You know because I have 22 years of working experience and lived through 2 economic crisis.

Economic condition of a nation is influenced by believe it or not national & international economic policies. Japan's economic problem came into being long before they have an aging population. It was due to the real estate bubble that was formed during their economic boom. Not to mention America putting higher tariffs on Japan for "competitive" reasons. The aftermath of this caused the economy to stagnant for 3 decades. GDP growth plateaued with average annual growth in the 0.5% - 2%. Wages remained the same and general deflation followed. Due to the economic stagnation people began to have less children. This compounded the issue further.

India's issue is mainly due to the size of the nation and how their political system works. India is very decentralized with each province governed by their own regional administration while the federal administration sets the general framework and foreign policies. India for most of its modern existence is a very poor country. Most people are uneducated and the elites only centralized in a few cities like Delhi. It wasn't until recently India started to built up its middle income group. Their economic standing is also vastly improving without the need of immigration. By improving their education and sending their children to Ivy leagues they are able to draw on a more diverse and young talent pool of ideas. India is poise to overtake Germany and Japan in the near future.

Then there is the hidden dark side of immigration people are afraid to talk about. Demographics and culture. Not every immigrant is an upstanding immigrant to put it gently. Just take a look at the American sanctuary cities. How is it going? Is the economy growing with the increased numbers of immigrant (illegal immigrants may I add) or is the cities hemorrhaging public funds to cater to them. How are they adjusting to the American culture? Let me answer that all in one word - negative. People across the world can see these problems, who would like these kind of immigrants in their nation? Japan and India have never been closed to immigration but they want controlled immigration (prerogative of the natives to decide). The best of the best from other places just like Singapore. Diversity is not always a strength. London, Paris and Malmo can attest to that. Everything has its pros and cons. If Tokyo and Delhi no longer resemble their native people, no longer practice their native culture and no longer talk the native language are they still a Japanese and an Indian cities?

America only likes to measure others by their own perception of acceptable standards. It is unthinkable to people like Joe that he doesn't have all the right answers. There are competing standards and ways of life others would like to live by. Just because they don't align with yours don't make them bad or phobic. So to people like Joe kindly stop smelling your own body fumes.

And can we please have Trump back, Americans? Pretty please with cherry on top? I know I'm not Donald's biggest fan but I'm just about to have enough of the current administration.

Last edited:

SMTA

Jul 28, 2023
Ohio
✟16,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Great move Joe! Making "friends" with every self promotion. Appeal to one voter group by disparaging entire nations. An advise Joe, the sequence of order is think before you speak not the other way around. Also this is the age of social media. Everything you say will be recorded and uploaded somewhere onto the internet. Maybe just maybe don't say the soft part out loud. At least we know how he sees his allies - the same as he sees his enemies. Pawns for re-elections.

In a situation so nuance as macro economics, he can boil down every nations' problem to no immigration. Does he have any idea how things work? More people more productivity right? More consumers right? New people new ideas right? Absolutely moronic logic. India & China two of the biggest populations in the world are having economic issues because there is not enough immigration he reasoned. I fail to see how. Even if I don't major in Economics (I'm in IT) I know it is not as simple as adding people. You know because I have 22 years of working experience and lived through 2 economic crisis.

Economic condition of a nation is influenced by believe it or not national & international economic policies. Japan's economic problem came into being long before they have an aging population. It was due to the real estate bubble that was formed during their economic boom. Not to mention America putting higher tariffs on Japan for "competitive" reasons. The aftermath of this caused the economy to stagnant for 3 decades. GDP growth plateaued with average annual growth in the 0.5% - 2%. Wages remained the same and general deflation followed. Due to the economic stagnation people began to have less children. This compounded the issue further.

India's issue is mainly due to the size of the nation and how their political system works. India is very decentralized with each province governed by their own regional administration while the federal administration sets the general framework and foreign policies. India for most of its modern existence is a very poor country. Most people are uneducated and the elites only centralized in a few cities like Delhi. It wasn't until recently India started to built up its middle income group. Their economic standing is also vastly improving without the need of immigration. By improving their education and sending their children to Ivy leagues they are able to draw on a more diverse and young talent pool of ideas. India is poise to overtake Germany and Japan in the near future.

Then there is the hidden dark side of immigration people are afraid to talk about. Demographics and culture. Not every immigrant is an upstanding immigrant to put it gently. Just take a look at the American sanctuary cities. How is it going? Is the economy growing with the increased numbers of immigrant (illegal immigrants may I add) or is the cities hemorrhaging public funds to cater to them. How are they adjusting to the American culture? Let me answer that all in one word - negative. People across the world can see these problems, who would like these kind of immigrants in their nation? Japan and India have never been closed to immigration but they want controlled immigration (prerogative of the natives to decide). The best of the best from other places just like Singapore. Diversity is not always a strength. London, Paris and Malmo can attest to that. Everything has its pros and cons. If Tokyo and Delhi no longer resemble their native people, no longer practice their native culture and no longer talk the native language are they still a Japanese and an Indian cities?

America only likes to measure others by their own perception of acceptable standards. It is unthinkable to people like Joe that he doesn't have all the right answers. There are competing standards and ways of life others would like to live by. Just because they don't align with yours don't make them bad or phobic. So to people like Joe kindly stop smelling your own body fumes.

And can we please have Trump back, Americans? Pretty please with cherry on top? I know I'm not Donald's biggest fan but I'm just about to have enough of the current administration.
Those nations are xenophobic.
Biden is honest and correct

Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,946.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like that xenophobic line might have struck with more than just the Japanese.

Those nations are xenophobic.
Biden is honest and correct

Yup typical response. Xenophobic. Everything is just that regardless of reasons. I hope you read the articles in full but of course one can hope you do. Headlines only right? Have you all read that he attributed the economic problems to immigrations and xenophobia? If you have an ounce of analytic skill you will know what he said was nothing but hogwash. Political pandering. No real economists worth their salt would say that.

Maybe read next time. It does wonder for understanding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟260,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Great move Joe! Making "friends" with every self promotion. Appeal to one voter group by disparaging entire nations.
This is simply a reference to the numbers of your citizens who were born overseas. Plus the children of those immigrants. Immigration has made you what you are. As opposed to the other countries. It's what you needed to do, what you did and it's why you're largest economy by far than anyone else.

Should he have used a different term rather than xenophobic? Yeah, I think so.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟561,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yup typical response. Xenophobic. Everything is just that regardless of reasons.
Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean the word doesn’t apply.

I hope you read the articles in full but of course one can hope you do. Headlines only right? Have you all read that he attributed the economic problems to immigrations and xenophobia? If you have an ounce of analytic skill you will know what he said was nothing but hogwash. Political pandering. No real economists worth their salt would say that.
Then I guess it’s good the president isn’t an economist.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟917,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Though the word " xenophobic " may not have been the best choice, after some research it is absolutely true. Japan is on a point system, 80 or over qualifies a person to get citizenship ( I rated 20) , there is an online calculator. As far as Inda, they excluded Muslims in their new citizenship law. That is pretty xenophobic IMHO.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟497,267.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Though the word " xenophobic " may not have been the best choice, after some research it is absolutely true. Japan is on a point system, 80 or over qualifies a person to get citizenship ( I rated 20) , there is an online calculator.
Misleading. The point system is only for preferrential treatment, one can become a citizen without achieving that point goal.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟917,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Misleading. The point system is only for preferrential treatment, one can become a citizen without achieving that point goal.
Preferential treatment? Okay. Please provide the path for the average person. I couldn’t find it.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟497,267.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Preferential treatment? Okay. Please provide the path for the average person. I couldn’t find it.
Thanks.

• 1.Continued residence in Japan
    The applicant must have lived in Japan for more than 5 years.
  • 2.Must be over 20 years old
  • 3.Be of good moral character
  • 4.Financial stability
    You or your spouse must be financially independent.
  • 5.Agree to hold only Japanese citizenship
    You would lose your own nationality once you gain Japanese citizenship.
  • 6.Respect the Japanese Constitution
    Not involved in political violence against Japanese government.
And for permanent residency:

Bit too long to quote, but basically you have to have been living in Japan on temporary visas for 10 years, or 1 year if you've been married to a japanese citizen for 3 years. That's what the point requirement is for, the required time goes down with higher point scores. The points don't even factor into citizenship itself (but certainly help).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟917,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And for permanent residency:

Bit too long to quote, but basically you have to have been living in Japan on temporary visas for 10 years, or 1 year if you've been married to a japanese citizen for 3 years. That's what the point requirement is for, the required time goes down with higher point scores. The points don't even factor into citizenship itself (but certainly help).
Yes, I read this and it is still very difficult. It allows no room for immigrants seeking asylum. This is what Biden is really talking about. Thanks for sharing !

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟497,267.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I read this and it is still very difficult. It allows no room for immigrants seeking asylum. This is what Biden is really talking about. Thanks for sharing !
Yeah, Japan has a very restrictive asylum policy, though it's not impossible.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,946.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This is simply a reference to the numbers of your citizens who were born overseas. Plus the children of those immigrants. Immigration has made you what you are. As opposed to the other countries. It's what you needed to do, what you did and it's why you're largest economy by far than anyone else.

Should he have used a different term rather than xenophobic? Yeah, I think so.

To be fair America didn't became rich through its immigration policies. America is where it is after WW2, when other economies are pretty much destroyed. During the war the US is more than happy to drain the British of their wealth. After the war when a rebuilding Japan is looking to catch up, America pretty much took out their hammer and beat the Japanese down.

Now with China America is pretty much doing the same thing. Yes US is number one but it has nothing to do with immigrants. It has all to do with their position during and after the war along with "fair" competition. Then leveraging their top position to strangle others. Fair competition and strength of immigration? There are reports and studies saying otherwise. More than enough of them to punch holes in the immigrant story.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,946.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean the word doesn’t apply.

Then I guess it’s good the president isn’t an economist.

Another typical response. Any wonder Americans are not well like abroad? And that is not a hyperbolic statement. There are plenty of survey to back that up. So self centered. Only your definitions are correct. Others are just jealous or ignorant. We can't analyse or make comparisons as well as the Americans.

Also you American voted in a person who is so misinformed and unknowledgeable. I wonder if it says more about Joe or the people.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟561,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Any wonder Americans are not well like abroad?
It's lonely at the top.
And that is not a hyperbolic statement. There are plenty of survey to back that up. So self centered. Only your definitions are correct. Others are just jealous or ignorant. We can't analyse or make comparisons as well as the Americans.
I'm just giving my opinion, man.
Also you American voted in a person who is so misinformed and unknowledgeable.
Remind me again who the alternative was?
I wonder if it says more about Joe or the people.
Our elections are definitely a reflection (and indictment) of our society. What's that say about the rest of you that the US absolutely dominates geopolitics?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,946.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Though the word " xenophobic " may not have been the best choice, after some research it is absolutely true. Japan is on a point system, 80 or over qualifies a person to get citizenship ( I rated 20) , there is an online calculator. As far as Inda, they excluded Muslims in their new citizenship law. That is pretty xenophobic IMHO.

Every nation has its own matrix. You think the US doesn't? Let me tell you a personal story of a friend of mine.

He worked in an American company with a local branch in my country for years. Highly qualified E&E engineer and held a high position in the company. He migrated to the US with his family. When we had our farewell drinks, all congratulated him on his move. He laughed and in another breath said, "you only get to see my success, but behind that was long years of painful application". A sad tone. We were stunned, a bit awkward but then he lifted the mood with a cheers.

Tells me one thing a highly qualified individual with good credit rating and a ready job waiting in the US have to undergo years of applications. And you say Japan has unreasonable standards? While we see in the news illegals crossing into the country being given money and place to stay. You call that a good standard of immigration? You will have to excuse me if I'm not buying the perception.

Oh he and his family is doing well in the US now if you're curious. And contributing to the economy which is more than can be said about a lot of the other politically preferred (illegal) immigrants.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟917,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every nation has its own matrix. You think the US doesn't? Let me tell you a personal story of a friend of mine.

He worked in an American company with a local branch in my country for years. Highly qualified E&E engineer and held a high position in the company. He migrated to the US with his family. When we had our farewell drinks, all congratulated him on his move. He laughed and in another breath said, "you only get to see my success, but behind that was long years of painful application". A sad tone. We were stunned, a bit awkward but then he lifted the mood with a cheers.

Tells me one thing a highly qualified individual with good credit rating and a ready job waiting in the US have to undergo years of applications. And you say Japan has unreasonable standards? While we see in the news illegals crossing into the country being given money and place to stay. You call that a good standard of immigration? You will have to excuse me if I'm not buying the perception.

Oh he and his family is doing well in the US now if you're curious. And contributing to the economy which is more than can be said about a lot of the other politically preferred (illegal) immigrants.
Thanks for sharing. My entire family comes from Cuba. One by one my mother and father brought them over. They all seeked asylum from a communist country. Here is their contibution:

Carlos- Horse trainer
Edgar- Postal worker
Delphina- Manicurist
Josephina- Las Vegas Hotel maid
Eli-Economist
Vitico-Elderly care worker
Nurka- Special needs care provider
Camilla- Wine maker
Isabella- College student

They were all US citizens within a couple of years. None of them had jobs waiting, good credit or had extraordinary resumes.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
What he really meant is they're unwilling to follow the agenda and allow their borders to be inundated with undocumented foreigners they allow in unreservedly. Most sensible people know the danger of opening their door to strangers without scrutiny but the government is otherwise? That's unlikely and I'm glad some countries are willing to say no.

~bella

Upvote 0

SMTA

Jul 28, 2023
Ohio
✟16,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yup typical response. Xenophobic. Everything is just that regardless of reasons. I hope you read the articles in full but of course one can hope you do. Headlines only right? Have you all read that he attributed the economic problems to immigrations and xenophobia? If you have an ounce of analytic skill you will know what he said was nothing but hogwash. Political pandering. No real economists worth their salt would say that.

Maybe read next time. It does wonder for understanding.
I lived in Japan for a bit
I know exactly of what I speak.

Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0