Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
We need more TV shows with women priests.

I can't remember the last time I saw any woman portrayed as clergy in the US in film or television. Which is strange because in many Protestant churches, they are a normal part of a church now days.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
How about this: Both the politics and the ecclesiastical changes grew out of a cultural change. Culturally, people were starting to see women as full human beings, deserving of the same rights and responsibilities as men. Politically, this cultural change was expressed in the belief that women should be able to vote and should be protected by law from discrimination in the workplace. In the church, this cultural change was expressed in the belief that women should be permitted to be priests, vestry members, altar servers, and so on. And there were cultural changes that were neither political nor religious; for example, in the 20th century, women began to be admitted to some elite private universities that had previously been men-only.

I wish I could say that the church was the driving force in the women's movements of the 19th and 20th centuries, that the church listened to Jesus saying "Love your neighbor as yourself" and went out and changed the world. There was some of that. The Society of Friends is notable here, for example.

The Society of Friends traditionally had no clergy. They would occasionally have people known for a gift of preaching, but the Friends religion is explicit in rejecting any kind of hierarchy in the Church (which doesn't mean that Quakers are necessarily "feminists", just that they rejected distinctions between male and female in spiritual matters).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I can't remember the last time I saw any woman portrayed as clergy in the US in film or television. Which is strange because in many Protestant churches, they are a normal part of a church now days.
I'm not going to spoil anything, but the series finale of 13 Reasons Why has a female pastor. (It's a very intense show...not for the faint of heart). I can't think of any other examples, only in the UK with the Vicar of Dibley.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Many, many denominations ordain women. Anglicans/Episcopalians, ELCA, UMC, PCUSA, Evangelical Covenant Church, Community of Christ, UCC, some Pentecostals, Disciples of Christ, American Baptist Church and several others.

Orthodox, Catholic, Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, Lutheran Church-Wisconsin Synod, Orthodox Presbyterian Church, Southern Baptists, some Pentecostals, Church of Christ, Seventh Day Adventist do not.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Many, many denominations ordain women. Anglicans/Episcopalians, ELCA, UMC, PCUSA, Evangelical Covenant Church, Community of Christ, UCC, some Pentecostals, Disciples of Christ, American Baptist Church and several others.

Orthodox, Catholic, Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, Lutheran Church-Wisconsin Synod, Orthodox Presbyterian Church, Southern Baptists, some Pentecostals, Church of Christ, Seventh Day Adventist do not.

Some Pentecostal and Holiness groups, like the Assemblies of God, actually have ordained women for quite some time. Longer than many other churches.

Upvote 0