Dec 8, 2007
✟835,797.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I know the answer as Im sure you do to. As we are able to reason and use our God given mental capacities yielded to the Spirit to discover this mystery. Which you indicated we shouldn't do.

I'm not sure the of the relevance of Jn 8:13 to the conversation.

In any case I think we really are reaching beyond the scope of the OP.

As I don't think any of us will be moving to the Catholic faith anytime soon.
Using human reason to interpret Scripture is risky at best, and more often a grievous error. What does Scripture tell us about the wisdom of men vs the wisdom of God?

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟34,003.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Using human reason to interpret Scripture is risky at best, and more often a grievous error. What does Scripture tell us about the wisdom of men vs the wisdom of God?
:wave:
'use our God given mental capacities yielded to the Spirit'

Please respect the request to Clare regarding not to engage me on this topic, its drifting into topics of wisdom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟884,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your stance on not starting a different thread is noted. However, the questions you raised regarding women roles, ministry, submission etc, is best informed by considering the entire corpus of Scripture. The approach to that would be to consider a biblical theology of the relationship between men and women. IMO
This would narrow the thread of the OP, which as you said is broad.

The topic is broad, and various aspects can be discussed in it. A broad topic allows MORE discussion, not less.

To do justice to the topic would mean to exegete the text that you consider problematic, which is the creation order, if I understood your previous posts.

You apparently did not understand.

I presented Peter and Paul, both apostles, giving a consistent message that wives submit to husbands to various churches in various Roman Provinces, and also referencing holy women of old, such as Sarah.

On the other hand some were alleging that those texts meant something else.

I think the burden of proof is on them to show why the texts don't mean what they say.

But I was trying to understand how the notion of the I Timothy text addressing temple prostitution (which is not stated in the text) is related to the actual arguments made (including Adam being made first).

I didn't see any answer that clarified it for me.

The letters of Paul to a certain extent all mention this when referring to women. It would make sense to start there. Thereafter the impact of the fall, the redemption of woman in the gospels, the application of this redemption in the letters of Paul. And finally what will it be when we meet our Maker.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. And if you don't want to do it here, that is up to you. But I have already posted what seems clear enough. Those saying it is not clear can state why.

I hope you do, I think it will be fruitful. I will start a thread and invite you to discuss. The prerogative is yours to respond or not. Although your indication is that you would rather do so here, which I'm not inclined to do.
The thread is started here. I don't see why it needs to go elsewhere. You were encouraging Clare73 to post more. Why do that if this is the wrong place for it?

If you think a full explanation is needed to turn wives submitting to husbands in to something else, feel free. I don't have the burden to argue against clear statements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟884,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:wave: I disagree here Clare we are to be good Bereans who received the word with all readiness of mind, examining and searching to verify what Paul said was true.(Acts 17:11)
Paul says that Adam was formed first. That checks out.

Genesis 2:21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22 Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.​

Paul says the woman was deceived. That seems accurate:

Genesis 3:13 And the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”​
Peter said that Sarah called Abaham lord:
Genesis 18:11-12 . 12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, “After I have grown old, shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?” (NKJV)​
Let me know where you see any issues.

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,797.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
'use our God given mental capacities yielded to the Spirit'

Please respect the request to Clare regarding not to engage me on this topic, its drifting into topics of wisdom.
Personal interpretation that deviates from Scripture is indeed a question of wisdom; in 1 Corinthians 1:20-31
20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.
26Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things-and the things that are not-to nullify the things that are, 29so that no one may boast before him. 30It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God-that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟884,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the connection with the family is reading into the issue.
You seemed to argue against the idea of submission of wives to husbands in general, as well as against the passage in I Timothy, so in that respect you are connecting them even by your rejection of them for the similar theme of submission.

But I think they are connected because you would have a strange situation if there was submission in the homes of believers of wives to husbands, but that order is potentially set on its head in the church. And some of the arguments in both the submission in the home passages, and the women speaking/holding authority passages are theological, and often refer to earlier times. So they are connected by similar arguments.

That having been said, as I mentioned in our off-line discussion, the best bet for the Timothy passage tying in to pagan practices, which are warned against, is not so much temple prostitution (which is nowhere mentioned), but rather looking into the alleged claimed protection during childbirth that artemis was thought to provide by those who prayed to her for such.

The unusual verse about being saved through childbirth is a problem if seen as a soteriological requirement for salvation. But it makes perfect sense if the women are being told to not go to artemis, and seek her as the pagans do, but, rather to trust in God for protection through the process of childbirth.

In this sense it is a polemic against a local false god (which Paul acknowledges are actually demons), similar to the attack on the Egyptian gods in the plagues, showing that God is actually sovereign over the claimed domains of these demons. But it is also an assurance that God is actually capable of helping in this regards.

This could fit local context which they would all know, as the temple of artemis was extremely prominent in the city, and to commercial success, as we see in Acts.

However, while this is a potential tie to the local setting, which would also explain a potentially difficult passage, I don't see this as helping overly much with the related submission issue. You could claim they are still being asked to set a very different tone than artemis supplicants, which seems legitimate.

For discussion on the connection of artemis to perceived protection in childbirth, in sources, see here:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟884,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Adventist Heretic

I think regarding submission of wives to husbands, it might be best to look at the fairly straight-forward passage in 1 Peter 3. There appears to be no situation unique to a given area, because he addresses churches in various Roman provinces:

1 Peter 1:1 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,​
He ties it to holy women of the past, taking it beyond the local situation:

1 Peter 3:5 For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands,​
He references a specific OT passage for support:
1 Peter 3:6 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.​
Genesis 18:12 . 12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, “After I have grown old, shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?” (NKJV)​
Peter references similar cautions to men against treating wives poorly, and assures that women are co-heirs of salvation:

1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.​
Moreover, since Peter himself was married, apparently even prior to becoming a disciple, as we see early reference to his mother-in-law, and Paul's statement about him having a believing wife, we have none of the allegations that he is just anti-marriage, anti-woman, anti-wives, etc.

Matthew 8:14 And when Jesus entered Peter’s house, he saw his mother-in-law lying sick with a fever.​
1 Corinthians 9:5 5 Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas?​
There is continuity between the behavior of holy women of old, and those in the New Testament era, in a variety of locations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0