Los Angeles Area
✟836,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Delegates voted 692-51 at their General Conference — the first such legislative gathering in five years.

The church also decided to forbid punishing clergy who either perform or refuse to perform same sex marriages.

Likewise, local churches can decide to either host or forbid SSM in their buildings, without fear of penalty from supervisors.

Later, they may vote on changing the church's "Social Principles", presumably to be more open to homosexuality than the current version.

Over the past few years, a quarter of congregations have left the UMC since, it appears, the writing was on the wall.

Last edited:

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟27,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
"If one evil thought, if one evil word, if one evil action, deserves eternal damnation, how many hells, my friends, do every one of us deserve, whose whole lives have been one continued rebellion against God!" -
-----------------------------------
Screenshot 2024-05-01 5.37.18 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-01 5.33.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-01 5.33.55 PM.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟969,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Too bad. They went with the worlds way. I’m sure John and Charles Wesley are rolling in their grave right now.

Given that John and Charles were Anglicans, I reckon they've been rolling in their graves for a while now. ;)

Said by an Anglican :cool:

• Winner
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Given that John and Charles were Anglicans, I reckon they've been rolling in their graves for a while now. ;)

Said by an Anglican :cool:
That's true, since their followers actually started the Methodist Church.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟102,829.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
"If one evil thought, if one evil word, if one evil action, deserves eternal damnation, how many hells, my friends, do every one of us deserve, whose whole lives have been one continued rebellion against God!" -
----------------------------------- View attachment 346950
Does not imply there is no standards to live by. What's next officiate wedding of other religions in church? Maybe condone bestiality as Scriptural? We live in this world but we are not part of the world. That is one of our teachings. You can argue that it's archaic but that is what believe in an Unchanging God is. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,721.00
Faith
Pentecostal
No nsurprise here. We've seen how the Methodists have moved away from God. The great falling away is underway. There is the separating of the sheep and goats.
The Church is NOT a denomination or a certain church or building. Its not something run by a man or a group of men. The Church are followers of Christ who walk with him and live for him and walk in a spirit of repentance and thankfulness for his grace and mercy.

The Methodists as a denomination have left the church. But I am positive that there are Methodist believers out there who are still part of the Church.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
----------------------------------- View attachment 346950
What's the point of this dude?

We're talking about people inside the church (or at least one of the many Christian denominations), not apostates like me. (And even I don't bother with "rebellion against god", what would be the point.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟102,829.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Maybe condone inappropriate behavior with animals as Scriptural?

OK hold on. That is not what I typed. The word of choice is a derivative of beast. Can we please not have sensitivity filters on? Curse words I understand. But the beast derivative word is not a curse. Everyone is an adult here I gander. Can we communicate in a more direct manner? I feel the forum is getting too infantilized.

"Inappropriate behavior with animals" can also mean animal abuse. But everyone knows what I wanted to convey is "sexual intercourse with"

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
They’re just meshing up with what individual churches have been doing for a long while in some spaces. Around here, every Methodist church does same sex marriages.

Although it seems like a necessary step to bring their policies in line with their actual practice and values.

I grew up in Mainline style Methodist churches and this policy change is long overdue for the denomination.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No nsurprise here. We've seen how the Methodists have moved away from God. The great falling away is underway. There is the separating of the sheep and goats.
The Church is NOT a denomination or a certain church or building. Its not something run by a man or a group of men. The Church are followers of Christ who walk with him and live for him and walk in a spirit of repentance and thankfulness for his grace and mercy.

The Methodists as a denomination have left the church. But I am positive that there are Methodist believers out there who are still part of the Church.
There is the Global Methodist Church, although small in number, have rejected LGBT ideology. Another very small denomination includes the free Methodists who also reject the LGBT agenda.

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟969,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Although it seems like a necessary step to bring their policies in line with their actual practice and values.

I grew up in Mainline style Methodist churches and this policy change is long overdue for the denomination.
Agreed on this point. I always thought their tag line "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors" didn't really fit policy and practice very well. At least now it does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟27,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
What's the point of this dude?

We're talking about people inside the church (or at least one of the many Christian denominations), not apostates like me. (And even I don't bother with "rebellion against god", what would be the point.)
George Whitefield was a Methodist preacher, like the Wesleys

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟376,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The UMC isn't the first Christian denomination to end prejudiced and discriminatory doctrines regarding LGBTQ persons. As I recall, the Unitarian Universalists did the same in the early 70s. Though I know that traditionalists don't consider the UUs as Christian.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The UMC isn't the first Christian denomination to end prejudiced and discriminatory doctrines regarding LGBTQ persons. As I recall, the Unitarian Universalists did the same in the early 70s. Though I know that traditionalists don't consider the UUs as Christian.

The United Church of Christ started ordaining openly gay pastors back in the 70's.

The United Methodist Church's ammending the Book of Discipline to contain anti-gay language is relatively recent. It didn't appear until the 1970's, and was basically a sop to cultural conservatives. Even in the early 70's, the ordination of gays was being talked about in mainline Protestant churches.

• Agree
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,721.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Agreed on this point. I always thought their tag line "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors" didn't really fit policy and practice very well. At least now it does.
Open minds was never a value of Christ's. God really doesn't have an open mind.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
George Whitefield was a Methodist preacher, like the Wesleys

Methodism was originally not a separate denomination, but a perjorative term for a religious affectation or inclination.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.