Pittsburgh
✟1,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Lots of strange things going on here. In genesis 36:24, the account of anah feeding his fathers mules in the wilderness, and subsequently discovers a “hot spring”, and it’s left at that…. Why would such a mundane thing even be mentioned? That would be like someone writing a book about my life and randomly mentioning something like “on this day, Chris entered into a subway terminal, where at the bottom of the stairs, he found a man playing a guitar.” But if there were more to the story somewhere else, that might shed light on the actual significance of the seemingly mundane and insignificant events. The book of jasher tells a much mor complete and lengthy story. Which I won’t get into, but you can research it for yourself at jasher 36:28-35 key figures in the Bible quote from jasher, as well as 1 Enoch, so to say that these texts have no place in attempting to make sense of things is in my opinion, close minded.

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟71,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2024
Pittsburgh
✟1,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Why are you even reading from Jasher and Enoch? Surely you don't consider them to be "given by inspiration of God"?
I didn’t say that they were the inspired word, and I’ll agree, there are fraudulent translations of jasher out there, and 2 and 3 Enoch have been largely discredited, I usually reference from the a copy of the oldest known example of jasher. but that doesn’t mean that they don’t have value and that there are not things that can’t be picked up through what they contain. jasher and 1 Enoch are texts that are referenced in the Bible by the most key and influential figures. The people in the Bible and probably every other Jew and Christian at the time speak of these two books, like the are automatically assuming that you know them, because everyone in that time did. Do if it was good enough for Peter and Joshua, then why would it not be good enough for us…?

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟71,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn’t say that they were the inspired word, and I’ll agree, there are fraudulent translations of jasher out there, and 2 and 3 Enoch have been largely discredited, I usually reference from the a copy of the oldest known example of jasher. but that doesn’t mean that they don’t have value and that there are not things that can’t be picked up through what they contain. jasher and 1 Enoch are texts that are referenced in the Bible by the most key and influential figures. The people in the Bible and probably every other Jew and Christian at the time speak of these two books, like the are automatically assuming that you know them, because everyone in that time did. Do if it was good enough for Peter and Joshua, then why would it not be good enough for us…?
The problem with the Book of Jasher to use as a tool for historical reference is that there really are no known accurate copies of it's original text.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟71,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would you consider the Dead Sea scrolls to be unreliable sources of information?
The Dead Sea scrolls are reliable. The book of Jasher is not in the Dead Sea scrolls.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟71,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟166,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lots of strange things going on here. In genesis 36:24, the account of anah feeding his fathers mules in the wilderness, and subsequently discovers a “hot spring”, and it’s left at that…. Why would such a mundane thing even be mentioned? That would be like someone writing a book about my life and randomly mentioning something like “on this day, Chris entered into a subway terminal, where at the bottom of the stairs, he found a man playing a guitar.” But if there were more to the story somewhere else, that might shed light on the actual significance of the seemingly mundane and insignificant events. The book of jasher tells a much mor complete and lengthy story. Which I won’t get into, but you can research it for yourself at jasher 36:28-35 key figures in the Bible quote from jasher, as well as 1 Enoch, so to say that these texts have no place in attempting to make sense of things is in my opinion, close minded.
If you check out the kindle sample of Rob Skiba's

Genesis and the Synchronized, Biblically Endorsed, Extra-Biblical Texts .

In chapter one you will get a good synoptic collection of verses from Genesis, Jasher, 1 Enoch, and Jubilees.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟113,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bro, these Jasher and Enoch books are not even in the Catholic Bible, nor the regular Bible.

Alright, I'm out of here before you debate me, Cafe Bike Chris.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 29, 2024
Pittsburgh
✟1,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Dead Sea scrolls are reliable. The book of Jasher is not in the Dead Sea scrolls.
The Dead Sea scrolls contain all types of scripture that is non canonical. Just because it isn’t canonical doesn’t always mean that other texts of the time weren’t a factual account of things. Nobody seems to have a problem with claiming an ancient text that’s non canonical as factual once the prophecy contained there in is fulfilled…. I’ll give you an example. The Dead Sea scrolls prophesied not only the birth of Jesus, but what is unique about the text is that it also predicted 100% correctly, the exact day that Jesus would be crucified. This would also be like saying that the complete works of flavius Josephus is not reliable information for reference because the religious aspects of his work are not canon. He has been the go-to source for experts for centuries. Hell, millennia!
Enoch was probably one of the most key figures even mentioned in the Bible, but if you just stop there at what the Bible tells you about enoch, you know absolutely nothing whatsoever about the man and how in his time he was so revered, that when the watchers knew they messed up extremely badly, who did they seek out to do their negotiations and bidding to god himself, in the hopes that gods mind might be changed…. ENOCH!!! Even the watchers and the nephilim who were eating people at that time, did no I’ll will toward Enoch. He was so upright and important that he was the first of only 2 figures in the Bible that were taken to heaven alive…(raptured) he was so important that the general consensus is that him and Elisha will be the 2 witnesses in the end of days mentioned in revelation. There has in more recent times, another possible explanation for the 2 witnesses, which is “the Jew and the gentile” the evidence for this is very plausible, however, as far as I’m concerned, the 2 witnesses are likely Enoch and Elisha. There is something to be said about 2 flesh and blood men who were trusted with so much power and knowledge on earth and who were so upright, that god raptured them. But for exactly what reason… probably because because they were the 2 human beings that had such a vast knowledge of scripture among other things, that god raptured them so as to have them not taste death until a later date when they will be sent back here to convey their high degree of knowledge related to scripture to the people who were not raptured, in a final chance for man to accept Jesus Christ as their lord and savior. And only when their purpose has been fulfilled, will finally taste death, be resurrected, and ascend back to heaven,

• Useful
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2024
Pittsburgh
✟1,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Bro, these Jasher and Enoch books are not even in the Catholic Bible, nor the regular Bible.

I sense that you aren’t willing to have a meaningful conversation on the matter because you you’re concerned about being proven wrong. We can’t think in this way. That is the problem, nobody is willing to have meaningful discussion, which they may learn from, or teach others based on their knowledge. Neither are half of the Dead Sea scrolls, but nobody has a problem with them. The Dead Sea scrolls, written by the essenes,
Prophesied the exact day that Jesus would be crucified and die, which as “luck” would have it, was 100% correct. When man is tasked with such an important task such as deciding what is canon and what is not, there is always a possibility of choosing what fits their ideals, not saying that they were nefarious actors, don’t get me wrong, but we see it in our own lives to this day. Based on our views and ideals when tasked with making important decisions, we almost always make decisions and policy based on our ideals and values. For example, the upper eschelon at Coca Cola, put out a program for their employees, to teach them and I quote “how to be less white”. That is obviously an extreme example. And a horrible thing to do no matter what color your skin is, but it showcases the idea that when tasked with making important decisions, you are going to decide every single time, on matters that most closely fit the way YOUwould like to have it.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2024
Pittsburgh
✟1,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If you check out the kindle sample of Rob Skiba's

Genesis and the Synchronized, Biblically Endorsed, Extra-Biblical Texts .

In chapter one you will get a good synoptic collection of verses from Genesis, Jasher, 1 Enoch, and Jubilees.
Thank you for corroborating brother. As far as jasher goes I use a version of the Palestinian Targum of the book of jasher sourced from Ken Johnson at biblefacts.org like I mentioned in other replies, if you didn’t have knowledge of 1 Enoch, or haven’t read through jasher. You would not know anything about important people and events that the Bible makes very little and not detailed information about, I think that the reality is that the reason that some of the most significant people and event’s mentioned in the Bible are kept extremely short and without details is because the Old Testament was written by ancient Jews for ancient Jews. 1 Enoch and jasher are referenced and quoted by key figures more than once in the canon, but are not elaborated on because the person doing the quoting, is assuming that the reader is already very familiar with these texts,

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2024
Pittsburgh
✟1,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Are you even aware of what happened to anah, son of zebion,in the wilderness while he was feeding the miles of his father…? Are you even willing to possibly look into the comparison of the two verses listed….

The modern translation of the account of anah in the wilderness in the Bible makes absolutely no sense when taken back to the Biblical Hebrew, this is exactly why I learned Biblical Hebrew. Because the translations are in many verses completely different from what it would say in the original language. The modern translation of this account if you take a modern translation of this, and convert it back into Biblical Hebrew, it reads like this “this is the anah who found the mules in the wilderness while feeding the miles of his father.” It makes very little sense, and is completely insignificant sounding, but we know that there is nothing insignificant in the Bible.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟113,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I sense that you aren’t willing to have a meaningful conversation on the matter because you you’re concerned about being proven wrong. We can’t think in this way. That is the problem, nobody is willing to have meaningful discussion, which they may learn from, or teach others based on their knowledge. Neither are half of the Dead Sea scrolls, but nobody has a problem with them. The Dead Sea scrolls, written by the essenes,
Prophesied the exact day that Jesus would be crucified and die, which as “luck” would have it, was 100% correct. When man is tasked with such an important task such as deciding what is canon and what is not, there is always a possibility of choosing what fits their ideals, not saying that they were nefarious actors, don’t get me wrong, but we see it in our own lives to this day. Based on our views and ideals when tasked with making important decisions, we almost always make decisions and policy based on our ideals and values. For example, the upper eschelon at Coca Cola, put out a program for their employees, to teach them and I quote “how to be less white”. That is obviously an extreme example. And a horrible thing to do no matter what color your skin is, but it showcases the idea that when tasked with making important decisions, you are going to decide every single time, on matters that most closely fit the way YOUwould like to have it.
Yeah, what Coke did was wrong, as all races should be treated equally, and not reduced. Can you pull the verse which says the day that Jesus died? Jesus died on 14 Nisan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 29, 2024
Pittsburgh
✟1,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, what Coke did was wrong, as all races should be treated equally, and not reduced. Can you pull the verse which says the day that Jesus died? Jesus died on 14 Nisan.
Yes, let me try to find it I’m pretty sure that it is on 11q but I can’t remember the other reference number, I’ll find it.

Upvote 0