May 20, 2023
✟7,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I was on vacation in the smokey mountains when I bought an Alice In Chains tshirt with the cover art for their album "Dirt". Alice In Chains is one of favorite bands. I come home and my mother told me that the shirt was horrible and satanic and "Anti God".
Is my shirt satanic? And what should I do. All advice is appreciated.
Im 18 by the way.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟760,873.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I was on vacation in the smokey mountains when I bought an Alice In Chains tshirt with the cover art for their album "Dirt". Alice In Chains is one of favorite bands. I come home and my mother told me that the shirt was horrible and satanic and "Anti God".
Im 18 by the way.
Post a pic!

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟158,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your mother has a right to her feelings. Maybe she is merely offended by the connotation of Alice actually being in chains. As a parent I understand that. Nevertheless, Your shirt is not sinful friend.....unless you are a man in the box, down in a hole and have actually come to snuff the rooster lol. Peace

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

joshbruh

May 20, 2023
✟7,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Post a pic!
Snapchat-1122827030.jpg

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟76,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I honestly don't see anything wrong with your shirt.

I don't know anything about the band. Is their music anti-God or promotes anti-God stuff?

I had an AC/DC shirt a long time ago. I had bought it before I was saved. After I was saved, I was bothered by one of the members wearing devil horns. I ended up getting rid of it.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟76,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Be respectful to moms but it doesn't look bad at all. I don't see what your mother sees.

All I could think of is that she thought the man was mocking Christ's death, but I don't think that's what's happening.

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟86,146.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you wear the T-shirt in front of Jesus? If not, then there may be an issue with it.
Personally, I would get rid of it. The band does not bring honour to God. In fact, a lot of what they represent is dark.
Since we are people of the light, why would we want to go back to the dark?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟395,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
1. Read the lyrics for the title song Dirt. It's about suicide.
2. Read the lyrics for the song The Man in the Box. It's about drug addiction and denying your maker (Jesus Christ).
3. In 2002, Layne Staley, lead singer of Alice in Chains, died of a drug overdose; from a mixture of heroin and cocaine, known as a speedball.
4. The name Alice In Chains is a reference to Alice in Wonderland and BDSM.

I wouldn't be wearing the shirt, and I wouldn't be listening to the music. Is it Satanic? If it causes people to fall into a pit of despair and deny their maker (the music is depressing), I'd say yes.

The following might be an indicator that something is wrong.

Grunge/alternative band members who died from overdose or suicide:

Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
Layne Staley (Alice in Chains)
Mike Starr (Alice in Chains)

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog)
Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone)
Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots)
Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)
Kristen Pfaff (Hole)
Doug Hopkins (Gin Blossoms)
John Baker Saunders (Mad Season)
Bradley Nowell (Sublime)
Wes Berggren (Tripping Daisy)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟876,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. Read the lyrics for the title song Dirt. It's about suicide.
2. Read the lyrics for the song The Man in the Box. It's about drug addiction and denying your maker (Jesus Christ).
3. In 2002, Layne Staley, lead singer of Alice in Chains, died of a drug overdose; from a mixture of heroin and cocaine, known as a speedball.
4. The name Alice In Chains is a reference to Alice in Wonderland and BDSM.

I wouldn't be wearing the shirt, and I wouldn't be listening to the music. Is it Satanic? If it causes people to fall into a pit of despair and deny their maker (the music is depressing), I'd say yes.

I disagree. If having content that is dark is the standard, then huge portions of the bible should not be read. Judges 19 is the only example I need, but there is plenty more. I think you're confusing art with propaganda.

For a musician to sing about their own struggles is art. It might not speak about pretty things, but it says something true about the human condition. These songs aren't hymns to Satan. They're glimpses into the human experience, for better or worse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im 18 by the way.
I will just say for ME when I was like 15-16 I use to go this bible study.. they were filled with the holy Spirit luke 11:13. One day praying for me she says "I see all these black albums you need to get rid of them". At first I never did then weeks later she says again praying for me "I see these black albums you never got rid of them you should". Then I did they were Kiss, Boston, Kansas.. on and on. See going to that bible study things happened like one day at home alone I said "Jesus show me what I have to do to be more like you". Then in the prayer meeting worshiping the lord she says "Danny I don't know what this means but the lord says " I will show you what you have to do". Like one night having them pray for the huge wart in side my hand as they prayed just before he stops says "and lord even the ones between his toes".

That right there.. man I never told anyone not even my mom. Just about a week later ever one of them just went away and never came back this was like 1976 I think.

So for me those that do not believe in Jesus are wicked unrighteous so forth so on they are not His not of God aka sinners. The word of God tells me what does light have any biz with darkness. Now I was saved then and still for what 4-5 years after that still listen to acid rock music...oh man I LOVE LOVE LOVE Music. So if that person is not of God does not believe in Jesus Christ they are an enemy to God. So me still listening to acid rock music my Father will never go against my will its only when I am ready to give all to Him. I remember at work listening to that music when out of no where I never wanted to again and never have. Today its only music that gives my Father glory praise. None of this worldly music will ever be in heaven.. so much of it is like.. well this man said and I take it with a grain of salt but said Jesus just shows up and the man had National Geographic mags and he said Christ picked it up and just went through it in a flash put it down and said "no life in it".

That's what so much of the music is... its not evil so to speak but no life in it. ALL creation everything praises sings to HIM...why would I want to do anything see hear anything do anything that does not in some way give Him glory and praise? But know this.. everything we do that is NOT OF GOD can open the door to the enemy. A simple "you won't die.. you will just like God knowing good and evil" A truth yet a lie. Just that look what that simple lie did. Listen to it .. its not evil.. haha play it backwards yeah nothing.. see its nice.. Three thoughts come.. one your GOD your spirit hearing Him, you time to sleep time to eat things like that then the enemy. We are told about how we are to take every thought into? What music who cares?

So you need to do what you believe.. don't believe me.. see Jesus is real.. ask HIM about it.. He will give you a peace. See if you feel guilty that is not from God.. you tell Him I want to listen to this with a smile "Ok". You are going to have to really press in to get Him to answer. See He does not play games so unless we truly mean we want to hear and will do what He says.. He will say nothing for He knows are heart. So me I don't listen to what other Christians tell me what is OK to listen to. If creation just sings about Him who came died for me .. what does His word say if we keep our mind and ways and thoughts on Him what happens? Then FIIP it if we don't do those things...our free choice so.. I have no shirts like that.. no life in them

Upvote 0

joshbruh

May 20, 2023
✟7,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your responces. Gave me alot to think about. Personally liatening to rock and metal makes me feel happy, and i I dont personally feel led astray from God. I listen to gospel music and worship music but I also occasionally listen to rock, metal, country, and blues. It is hard to make a descion on wether I should drop metal music, or to continue listening.

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟86,146.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for your responces. Gave me alot to think about. Personally liatening to rock and metal makes me feel happy, and i I dont personally feel led astray from God. I listen to gospel music and worship music but I also occasionally listen to rock, metal, country, and blues. It is hard to make a descion on wether I should drop metal music, or to continue listening.
Just make sure you are not holding onto your previous life. Those that hold onto it, will lose their life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Royal-Fool

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex
✟15,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im 18 by the way.
Clothing and designs on them aren't in themselves satanic - unless the designs are specifically done to be so. It is the reason behind the wearing of the clothing. For example, as a Churchwarden I wouldn't have a problem you attending my church wearing your t-shirt.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟329,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Im 18 by the way.
I like Alice in Chains, too, but I have to admit it's not exactly the most uplifting music. I think I'm more drawn to it when I'm already "Down in a Hole", so to speak :) .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟86,146.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I'm more drawn to it when I'm already "Down in a Hole", so to speak :) .
That is when we need to draw near to God.
But I know what you mean. When you feel down, feel as though the world is falling in, sometimes it can be easy to revert back to the old music you used to listen to.

• Agree
Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟30,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im 18 by the way.
Hey Josh. Love and greetings.
What I am about to say is not easy for me, because while I want to help, I don't want to sound like I am making the decision for you. I want that decision to be yours, which you make, with knowledge, and facts.

First of all, did you ask your mom why she felt it is Satanic?
I think that is the first step in the right direction. In fact, it is good for both parent and child to communicate - that is listen to each other, before responding.
One who gives an answer before he hears, It is foolishness and shame to him. Proverbs 18:13

Second, something that anyone thinking about having a relationship with God, should consider, is "how does God feel about my choice?" That is prime.
It is very good - excellent :thumbsup: - you asked the question, because it shows you are concerned about not offending God.

Third, I love you Josh. God loves you. Your mom loves you. :)
I hope you love scriptures. ;)

James 4:4 -Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Friendship with the world? What is friendship with the world? What is the world really?
1 john 2:15-17
Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.​
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.​
The world is passing away and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God continues to live forever.​

1 John 5:19 - We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

Evil one? The world is in his power? Who would that be? What do you think Josh?
Would it be this person, do you think?
Revelation 12:9 - So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Perhaps that isn't enough for some.
John 12:31 -Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.
John 16:11 - ...the ruler of this world has been judged.
John 14:30 - I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in regard to Me,

No doubt in our minds now.
No wonder Jesus repeatedly emphasized this regarding his followers.
John 17:15, 16 -
I am not asking You to take them out of the world, but to keep them away from the evil one.​
They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.​
John 15:19 -If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you.

Since we learned the world refers to this system - under the power of God's enemy, and ours - Satan, and is made up of people who are alien to (alienated from) God - See John 3:16, it means the scriptures are helping us appreciate that we cannot be a friend of God, and at the same time be involved with the world alienated from God, which involves the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life.

So we do well to ask ourselves some serious questions about our choice of music, movies, entertainment on a whole - considering what we know about God's view. AS a reminder - If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; friendship with the world is enmity with God. Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
In fact, our choices regarding this world, are an outward manifestation of the company we keep.

What do we really know about what really goes on behind the scenes, as Satan uses this world?
Who really produces the music that we find so very appealing, being sung from those "beautiful" people? What do we know about those "beautiful" people, and those "beautiful" songs we listen to?
Oftentimes we don't pay attention to the lyrics. We just like the sound of the base, the guitar, the drums. We just love the tunes.

If you are a person who pays close attention to what you are listening to, good for you. :thumbsup:
If not, it would be good to do so, since it will help you gauge how close you are to God.
Ask yourself too; Do the lyrics make sense to me? Do I really know what they mean? Could it be, they are not supposed to make sense to me?

I'll share this with you, in conclusion.
I had a favorite music genre, when I decided to serve God. I gave it up. Why? Much of it was laced with profanity, violence, sexual immorality, etc.
Perhaps that's not the case with you. However, consider if the genre for the most part, is known to promote godliness.
One of the things that aided my choice, is the fact that even though I tried to only listen to those songs that were free of profanity, violence, sexual immorality, etc., it was not easy to not be drawn to those that contained those things. Not toward the lyrics, but the tunes - the beats.

I learned something else about the behind-the-scenes aspect, but I won't share that with you.
You are young and as you gain experience, I am sure as you listen to God, and you consider your moms advice, you will make the right decisions. :)

PS. Sorry to be so lengthy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟30,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can help make that decision easier for you. There is a book I would like to send you. Can I send you via PM?

Upvote 0