• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Afraid of medication

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟146,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel I Need it bc the depression and anxiety I deal with is overwhelming.

For those on meds , how did you get over the fear? I just wanna cry all the time, I feel I'm always anxious, Don't want to eat. I also feel like there's more than anxiety/depsson at play. I'm afraid of passing out or having a heart attack bc of the immense anxiety I feel.

I'm afraid of being a bit more mentally ill. I'm not sure how to cope or come to term with needing meds.

I'm afraid, once I take them it may not work, mess me up mentally to the point I'm not myself or ill have horrid side effcts.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel I Need it bc the depression and anxiety I deal with is overwhelming.

For those on meds , how did you get over the fear? I just wanna cry all the time, I feel I'm always anxious, Don't want to eat. I also feel like there's more than anxiety/depsson at play. I'm afraid of passing out or having a heart attack bc of the immense anxiety I feel.

I'm afraid of being a bit more mentally ill. I'm not sure how to cope or come to term with needing meds.

I'm afraid, once I take them it may not work, mess me up mentally to the point I'm not myself or ill have horrid side effcts.
I understand that you are dealing with overwhelming feelings of depression, anxiety, and fear, as I have gone through the latter two (luckily not depression). It's important to remember that you are not alone in your struggle. Here are some Biblical verses and medical/psychological perspectives that may help:

1. God is with you in your struggles, and He cares for you deeply. (Isaiah 43:2-3, Psalm 147:3)

From a medical/psychological perspective, it's important to recognize that anxiety and depression are complex conditions that can affect various aspects of your physical and emotional well-being. It's not a sign of weakness or mental illness to seek help from medication, therapy, or both.

2. Anxiety and fear can have physical manifestations, including increased heart rate, shallow breathing, and feelings of dizziness or passing out. (Matthew 14:26-33)

Medically speaking, anxiety can cause the body to produce stress hormones, which can lead to various physical symptoms. These symptoms include rapid heart rate, shallow breathing, and feelings of dizziness or fainting. It's essential to communicate your concerns with your healthcare provider, as they can assess the potential risks and benefits of medication and work with you to find a treatment plan that addresses both your emotional and physical needs.

3. Seeking professional help does not make you any less of a person or take away your identity. (Psalm 46:1, Psalm 30:5)

From a psychological perspective, it's essential to understand that seeking help for your mental health does not define you as a person. You are more than your struggles with anxiety and depression. Your identity is rooted in being a unique creation of God, and seeking professional help is an act of self-care and love.

4. Medication can be a valuable tool in managing anxiety and depression symptoms. (Proverbs 17:22)

Medically speaking, medication can help manage the chemical imbalances in your brain that contribute to anxiety and depression. With proper dosage and regular monitoring by a healthcare provider, you can experience relief from symptoms and improved overall well-being.

5. It's essential to approach medication with an open mind but also realistic expectations. (Ephesians 4:23-24)

From a psychological perspective, it's crucial to remember that medication may not work for everyone or provide an immediate cure. It may take time and adjustment to find the right dosage, medication, or combination of treatments that works best for you. Approach this process with an open mind but also realistic expectations, knowing that it may be a journey that requires patience and perseverance.

6. Lastly, consider incorporating practices like prayer, meditation, or mindfulness into your daily routine as additional coping strategies. (Matthew 6:34, Psalm 119:25)

From a Biblical perspective, turning to God in prayer and meditation can provide comfort, peace, and strength during challenging times. Additionally, mindfulness practices like deep breathing or progressive muscle relaxation can help manage anxiety symptoms and improve overall well-being. Remember that seeking professional help is not a replacement for these spiritual practices but rather an additional tool in your journey towards healing and wholeness.

Upvote 0