✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello,

I would like to debate whether or not Yahweh is the one, true God. I will take the position that Yahweh is not. Whoever takes the opposite position needs to provide evidence that Yahweh is the one, true God since a claim without evidence requires no evidence to dismiss it.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

BL

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
I'm not going to debate, but this would be an interesting debate to read through.

Having said that, I'm curious as to how you would define "one, true God," (this also provides context for what your position would be that Yahweh is *not*, for example) AND whether or not you would take references to scriptures as evidence ?

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Scholar, Author, Educator
Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Clarification:

The debate does not presuppose the existence of Yahweh, that is the point of debate. I would expect my debate partner to take the position that Yahweh is in existence and the god of the cosmos as most Christians and Jews would believe. Scripture is as much evidence as any other text, meaning something truly significant would have to be present to provide convincing evidence of Yahweh's existence (otherwise many Greek texts would be evidence of Zeus). I'm assuming my debate partner would believe Yahweh exists as a monotheistic deity, but if a polytheist wants to debate Yahweh's existence, I'd be fine with that (might be more interesting).

BL

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟843,474.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Clarification:

The debate does not presuppose the existence of Yahweh, that is the point of debate. I would expect my debate partner to take the position that Yahweh is in existence and the god of the cosmos as most Christians and Jews would believe. Scripture is as much evidence as any other text, meaning something truly significant would have to be present to provide convincing evidence of Yahweh's existence (otherwise many Greek texts would be evidence of Zeus). I'm assuming my debate partner would believe Yahweh exists as a monotheistic deity, but if a polytheist wants to debate Yahweh's existence, I'd be fine with that (might be more interesting).

BL

Hi BL, it has been a while! Good topic; I hope you find a taker even though I disagree with your position!;):)

Mark

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Scholar, Author, Educator
Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks, Mark. I had to go underground for a while due to some really heavy stuff. Basically I discovered some powerful people were involved in some really bad things which placed me in danger. At this point I feel secure in being less cautious since the legal process is farther along and they are less of a physical risk.

BL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings BlueLightningTN and Mark,
So I'm reading through all of this and I'm just wondering if anyone's going to debate it.

I would be interested in affirming that “Yahweh is God”, that Yahweh as revealed in the Bible exists, and that He is the One True God. If accepted I am happy to open the discussion. This opening Post will comprise the following portions:
1. The Creation
2. Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, The Promise of Eve’s Descendant

Depending on the progress of the discussion I anticipate adding the following portions in later Posts:
3. Abraham and the Promises
4. Moses, The Yahweh Name and the Deliverance from Egypt
5. David, the Encounter with Goliath, and the Promise to David
6. The Prophets and The Prophetic Writings
And some further portions.

Each of the above portions will have brief comments under the sub-headings of
Summary
Comments
Conclusion

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings again BlueLightningTN,
All we need is a format then.
I appreciate the response. I assume that Mark needs to set this up. If you are happy with this, and Mark enables this, I am ready to Post my first statement consisting of the two portions previously mentioned.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟843,474.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I need a bit more info to set it up; how many rounds? Post length limits? Anything else you guys would like as special stipulations. Have a look at this and remember you don't have to follow it's format either (it sounds a lot more cumbersome than it really is):): Formal Debate Proposals Guidelines

Reactions: jared1236
Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Mark,

I appreciate your response. Subject to BlueLightningTN’s agreement, for clarity I would prefer to simply state that BLTN’s position is “Yahweh is not God” and my position is “Yahweh is God”. I will allow BLTN to decide who will go first.

The following has been adapted from another debate and subject to your and BLTN’s agreement or modification.

Suggested rules for the Debate:
Formal Debate - “Yahweh is not God”
1. BlueLightningTN will be taking the position “Yahweh is not God”.
2. TrevorL will be taking the position “Yahweh is God”
3. (…) will go first.
4. This debate will consist of 5 alternating rounds (5 posts each, a total of 10 posts)
5. Maximum lengths of posts will be 1000 words.
6. Maximum time between posts will be one week from the time a post is approved and made visible.
7. Outside quotes will be allowed, but will be subject to the 20% rule.
8. Start date: Any time.

Could you please clarify “a post is approved and made visible”, as I am unaware how a Post is entered in a debate thread. Will the preview provision still work, so that formatting can be properly checked?

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings again BlueLightningTN,
The format sounds good to me with me going second.
I accept going first. We await Mark's approval and setting up. I appreciate his help in making this facility available. It also avoids the multitude of opinions on this subject confusing our discussion, as has been evident already. Nevertheless I will look forward to some useful comments from the Peanut Gallery. The debate conditions suggested format of opening statement, then three discussions with some additional statements then concluding statement. This was different to my first assessment and as a result I anticipate adding three portions to my first Post in order to fit approximately 9-10 portions into the first four Posts. I did a word count on these three and it came under 1000 words.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟843,474.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Trevor, BL, My apologies for not getting to this sooner. Busy week at work with much overtime (new lines and new product launch preparations) and I had night school last night. I will set this up after work tonight.

Thanks for your patience.

Mark:)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟843,474.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would be interested in affirming that “Yahweh is God”, that Yahweh as revealed in the Bible exists, and that He is the One True God. If accepted I am happy to open the discussion. This opening Post will comprise the following portions:
1. The Creation
2. Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, The Promise of Eve’s Descendant

Depending on the progress of the discussion I anticipate adding the following portions in later Posts:
3. Abraham and the Promises
4. Moses, The Yahweh Name and the Deliverance from Egypt
5. David, the Encounter with Goliath, and the Promise to David
6. The Prophets and The Prophetic Writings
And some further portions.

Each of the above portions will have brief comments under the sub-headings of
Summary
Comments
Conclusion

Kind regards
Trevor

I'm thinking a few mini debates within the context of the whole.

How would you feel about Part 1 being Creation and Adam and Eve; say three rounds (three posts) each, post size limit of however many words you can squeeze into one single post.
Part 2; Creation to the Exodus, Part three, David and the Prophets.

Once these are complete, then each of you would get a closing statement; possibly without a word limit.

Each of these three round debates could be extended by mutual consent if more ground needs to be covered.

All of this would occur within the one debate thread, unless you two chose to have a separate thread for each.

I think, the way it's proposed, a series of small debates would maintain focus a bit better.:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.