writings of the church fathers you would consider essential?

Jun 1, 2022
Pumpkin Flats
✟20,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've read very little of the church fathers (I think only De Incarnatione and Confessions, which are currently at my bedside) but basically every Protestant denomination except maybe Anglicanism is beginning to seem untenable and I need to read something very old, patristic, etc.

I know the Orthodox particularly venerate St. Basil and John Chrysostom, and presumably others that I don't know about, but my question is this: if you were to read a handful of books (~1000 pages' worth?) by the Church Fathers, especially the Fathers which are most important to the Eastern Church, which would they be? I've read that St. Basil's On the Holy Spirit is very good, but that's really all I know. Thanks in advance for any responses; any advice would be a great help to me.

Also, if you read this far, are there any slightly more modern books which might be helpful for someone trying to learn about Orthodoxy? I'm really not sure about anything anymore except the Nicene Creed (and not even the filioque, haha) so if you could keep that in mind I would appreciate it. If you feel like it, you could pray for me too--I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for prayer but it's a Christian forum so it has to be ok, right?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,473,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think a good place to start would be St John of Damascus’ Exact Exposition since it’s very systematic. St Ignatius of Antioch is great because of how early he is.

a good modern starter I think would be Becoming Orthodox by Fr Peter Gilquist.

and lastly, Lord have mercy on you!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,473,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your help. Is there a particular book that the liturgy is contained in?

yeah. most parishes have booklets of the Liturgy for guests and inquirers. so I would say check out your closest parish and see if you can look at one of theirs.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,473,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your help. Is there a particular book that the liturgy is contained in?

and I will add, it’s better just to experience the Liturgy, not simply to read the text. there are a lot of liturgical movements that are also theological.

Upvote 0
Jun 1, 2022
Pumpkin Flats
✟20,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
and I will add, it’s better just to experience the Liturgy, not simply to read the text. there are a lot of liturgical movements that are also theological.
Thank you for your help, Father. I've been going to an orthodox church for about 5 months now; hopefully I'll be received at some point in the near-ish future. You were definitely right about experiencing the liturgy.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,473,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your help, Father. I've been going to an orthodox church for about 5 months now; hopefully I'll be received at some point in the near-ish future. You were definitely right about experiencing the liturgy.
praise God! keep us in the loop!

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
May Christ God be with you on your journey!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟761,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe St. Thalassios ( the Lybian, 7th c. ) is a great example of concise & in depth expression of Orthodoxy. His writings in the Philokalia ( vol.2) are only about 30 printed pages and express ( for ex.) great clarity on keeping the commandments, the Trinity etc. One thing to note is that his asceticism is monastic and the physical intensity he describes a few times should just be acknowledged in general psychological attitudes by the average layperson.

St. Thalassios was a friend of St. Maximos the Confessor & his writings are right after the latter’s in the Philokalia. They can serve either as an introduction or appendix to the expansive ( to say the least) of St. Maximo’s’ writings. His writings can be read online here:

There is a gap in the linked download above. It seems that the actual 3rd set (century) set of writings failed to download originally and what is a final 4th set downloaded under the 3rd set heading. Each downloaded set is intact & in proper order in of their contents.

One more add on: I also believe a good overview of Orthodoxy was given by the late Archbishop Paul ( of Finland) in his brief book ( about 100 pp.), The Faith We Hold:

It’s good stuff like this that can give us a solid foundation to go by. If we need more wisdom, we have our basics set to proceed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 1, 2022
Pumpkin Flats
✟20,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe St. Thalassios ( the Lybian, 7th c. ) is a great example of concise & in depth expression of Orthodoxy. His writings in the Philokalia ( vol.2) are only about 30 printed pages and express ( for ex.) great clarity on keeping the commandments, the Trinity etc. One thing to note is that his asceticism is monastic and the physical intensity he describes a few times should just be acknowledged in general psychological attitudes by the average layperson.

St. Thalassios was a friend of St. Maximos the Confessor & his writings are right after the latter’s in the Philokalia. They can serve either as an introduction or appendix to the expansive ( to say the least) of St. Maximo’s’ writings. His writings can be read online here:

There is a gap in the linked download above. It seems that the actual 3rd set (century) set of writings failed to download originally and what is a final 4th set downloaded under the 3rd set heading. Each downloaded set is intact & in proper order in of their contents.

One more add on: I also believe a good overview of Orthodoxy was given by the late Archbishop Paul ( of Finland) in his brief book ( about 100 pp.), The Faith We Hold:

It’s good stuff like this that can give us a solid foundation to go by. If we need more wisdom, we have our basics set to proceed.
Thank you so much! I don’t have very much time to read a lot outside of school so I’m very grateful for the concise recommendations.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private