Would you not recover a sheep on the Sabbath?

jacorian

Dec 27, 2022
New England
✟15,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just heard this AM that my senator is sponsoring legislation on animal abuse given some recent incidents so I contacted his office to give my input to this issue which is dear to me. I'm for animals but know I can't save all of them. Even then our society here has a long way to go on improving treatment be it pets, farm animals, wildlife, etc. Several years ago I contributed to the language in my state's current pet abuse laws but we are seeing it is time again. Now you would think this issue would gather support from both sides. Here I hate to say it but the party that proclaims itself as the moral majority does not see the forest thru the trees. Specifically, puppy mills are considered a legit capitalist business in our country. Why? Does capitalism promise benevolence? Talk about greed. I am reminded of the passage in the Bible when Jesus said "Did God make the sabbath for man or man for the sabbath?" This to me is common sense. If you lost a sheep on the Sabbath, of course you would go out and look for that sheep. But then some people think it's only a sheep & we should obey dictates. Well God made the animals too & it does not mean mankind arbitrarily gets to treat them in the way they see fit. Back in 2005 after hurricane Katrina hit the south, a congressman from our state introduced a statute to rescue animals caught up in the storm. We observed many people stranded in boats & on roofs with their pets & they would not leave without their pets. So the helicopter & coast guard crews were perplexed as to what to do. Can not they see the forest thru the trees? I guess not. The point I make while I cannot save all of them I would at least get people to do the hard work of contemplation their actions. This is similar to Martin Niemollers' famous quotation that "First they came for the workers & I did not speak up & then they came for the Jews & I did not speak up & then they came for me & no one spoke up for me."