• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Would I benefit from a (prohibitive) cancer insurance?

Would insurance be good idea, long term? Closes on Feb.18. 2014. Votes are not public

• Yes, IF You are rich

• Yes, if/SINCE You are poor

• No, BECAUSE You are poor

• No, IF You are rich

Results are only viewable after voting.

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm not in a risk zone, and I have no cancer. The insurance company has interviewed me and I'm eligible for a specific insurance: it would cover diagnosis: cancer no matter what type of cancer or whether I would get well. Each treatment costs hundreds of $. I have no idea how many treatments are generally needed, but I don't see the treatments as a high cost.
I have never smoked, been submitted to regular tests, or have any cancer among relatives who live or are deceased, as far as I know, nor does my father know of any. My father said it's unusual to get cancer at a low age.
The insurance company said that prostate-cancer comes around ages 40-60 if does (and I know since before that there's "good" prostate cancer which does no harm and at most surgery is needed).
Besides that (my father's sister is a prostate cancer researcher/scientist) I'm afraid of intestine cancer.
I usually don't get too much sun, so although malignt melanom is statistically increasing over here quite rapidly, it's not a major headache for me.

I'm pretty poor but on a steady income which would not drop much if I would not work and this will stay so.
The major concern the insurance company was talking about was income drop.

So, would it be a good idea for me to take the insurance, or not? It's being offered for a lower price right now, and if I would take the insurance the fee would keep at that level, except an annual indexation of +3% of both the fee and the possible money to get from the insurance. They require a qualifying period of 90 days (~3 months) to pass before the insurance is fully valid - if getting cancer during those 90 days You don't get any money.

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hindsight: I've been continually using up a lot of money on healthy food which prohibits intestine cancer.
I now calculated with the help of Wikipedia statistics that my risk of getting intestine cancer diagnosis by the years 2025-2030 (calculating a world population averaging 7½ billion) is 0.2% and if so the typical mortality rate is to die from it within 6 years. This is a type of cancer that typically comes at a high age, typically at retirement or higher age, no higher than 84.
Personal risk-factors consist of being male, living in a developed country, lack of exercise. If I take the insurance I would raise my intake of beef (I don't eat pork) and lower my intake of yogurt and milk to save on costs of living and those changes would increase the risk.
Most people who get the intestine cancer diagnosis are not diagnosed because of weak genes.
What lowers my risk is my high (albeit a bit irregular) intake of calcium citrate:
I have never smoked, been submitted to regular tests, or have any cancer among relatives who live or are deceased

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Hindsight: I've been continually using up a lot of money on healthy food which prohibits intestine cancer.

Food does not prohibit cancer, it may be helpful, however its very iffy

I now calculated with the help of Wikipedia statistics that my risk of getting intestine cancer diagnosis by the years 2025-2030 (calculating a world population averaging 7½ billion) is 0.2% and if so the typical mortality rate is to die from it within 6 years.This is a type of cancer that typically comes at a high age, typically at retirement or higher age, no higher than 84.
I've nursed several young people under 50 with terminal cancer.
Look at a few factors involving cancer. Tests, diagnostic biopsys, surgery to remove the cancer, chemotherapy, radiation and other appropriate treatment I'd say you wouldnt get much change from $200,000

Personal risk-factors consist of being male, living in a developed country, lack of exercise. If I take the insurance I would raise my intake of beef (I don't eat pork) and lower my intake of yogurt and milk to save on costs of living and those changes would increase the risk.
Most people who get the intestine cancer diagnosis are not diagnosed because of weak genes.
What lowers my risk is my high (albeit a bit irregular) intake of calcium citrate:

My honest answer. If you live in the US, you would be very stupid not to have the insurance

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I was referring to the vitamin D in it:
Food does not prohibit cancer, it may be helpful, however its very iffy:

I don't and I guess the social welfare system over here pays most of the cost, but the private insurances are also cheaper. Even so ~1/9 of the population ages 0-100 have some kind of private health insurance:
My honest answer. If you live in the US, you would be very stupid not to have the insurance

The only purpose with the insurance is to avoid traumatising people around me such as my best friend, IF I'm as unlucky as to get cancer. I've also been thinking since yesterday that I would not like to have people pity me, so the insurance is good for that purpose too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I've been toning down the importance of whether anyone would need to pity me or not, but I came up with another purpose: for years my parents have been telling me that at some point such as when they die, I have to be able to take care of my finances completely on my own. My dad is going to liver longer than my mom, and if he continues like now not to give me anything I could not count on any help from him while he is alive. And my mom doesn't want me to inherit her:
The only purpose with the insurance is to avoid traumatising people around me such as my best friend, IF I'm as unlucky as to get cancer. I've also been thinking since yesterday that I would not like to have people pity me, so the insurance is good for that purpose too.

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depending on just what sort of cancer you might get and just what it did to your insides, the insurance could save you a fortune.

I had a friend who had cancer, and chemotherapy knocked most of it out. Unfortunately what the doctors hadn't realised was that the cancer had also affected his bowel, so when the chemotherapy knocked it out he ended up with a perforated bowel. The first he knew of it was when he was rushed to hospital with agonising abdominal pains. After major emergency surgery, a week in ICU, another week in high dependency and a further two weeks on a regular ward he was allowed home.

I shudder to think what the bills for that lot would have been.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
No, I could maximally save ~$25,000. The insurance gives the exact same amount of money no matter what type of cancer, as long as the type of cancer is in the list of the included ones that it covers (the list has most types of cancer).
If I could select a smaller insurance deal I would, but this is the smallest they offer, the bigger one is 68% bigger. Those are the only options. I can not get any other equivalent type of insurance or any other health-insurance which is not related to accidents:
Depending on just what sort of cancer you might get and just what it did to your insides, the insurance could save you a fortune.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I've been talking to a girl on a local Christian dating site. Now she says she wants to start a family. IN CASE I would start a family (with her perhaps, as it's rarely that I get to talk with someone who wants to start a family) and then get cancer, the insurance would be really good to have, otherwise she could be very disappointed with the amount of money I leave. That is also among the main reasons people want insurances that cover lethal diseases and accidents.

Thanks for voting!
Funny thing is CF contradicts my closest relatives and my close friend (who I don't see right now) who are against cancer insurances.

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I could maximally save ~$25,000. The insurance gives the exact same amount of money no matter what type of cancer, as long as the type of cancer is in the list of the included ones that it covers (the list has most types of cancer).
If I could select a smaller insurance deal I would, but this is the smallest they offer, the bigger one is 68% bigger. Those are the only options. I can not get any other equivalent type of insurance or any other health-insurance which is not related to accidents:

It seems to me that $25,000 will make so little difference to the overall cost of cancer treatment it's barely worth bothering with. When my friend was in the ICU the bills would probably have chewed up that kind of money in less than a week, had he been paying for his own care.

Does the insurance policy offer a special bonus that gives you $5 off a new car?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, but the social welfare system pays the largest part of the cost:
It seems to me that $25,000 will make so little difference to the overall cost of cancer treatment it's barely worth bothering with.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I forgot to mention that she has a 5-year-old daughter. But she doesn't seem to be responding anymore:
I've been talking to a girl on a local Christian dating site. Now she says she wants to start a family.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Financially the insurance is not a good deal per se, but it has fair conditions - meaning the insurance company doesn't waste the money on stupid things like maligna melanoma (which is rapidly getting more common in this country but affects only those who bathe too much in the sun which I don't) or too advanced complicated conditions for getting money which would have resulted in high administrative costs for them which ultimately have to be paid by the customers or a lower profit level.

I'm unsure about their profit level, but I'm sure that on average they profit on this insurance.

Even so it seems like a good idea, because like I said I can cut down on food expenses (sounds stupid but it isn't, I've been spending too much on yogurt which contains vitamin D) and not have to worry so much about getting a gym membership all the time. Gyms are either really expensive or REALLY bad over here, and none of the decent ones are within a few miles. I like bicycling though.

I've started to compare different insurance companies more, but all the other companies have more complex rules and some of the things they cover consist only of covering the invoices for medical treatment and nothing more - which I consider really bad terms. Additionally the other companies often include an accident insurance which in most cases pays extremely little. However, these companies cover more different diseases which could be good thing but I'm not particularly worried about almost any of them except schizophrenia (but the insurance would pay somewhat little). If I would take an insurance at a high age, it would be beneficial if I get benign colon lipoma. About the latter:
Lipoma growth have been known to occur on the colon and even on other internal organs of the body.

Such a Lipoma is asymptomatic and may be found just by chance during a colonoscopy or during a surgical procedure.

Colon Lipomas have a higher occurrence in women, especially women in their 60s. A colon Lipoma is benign fatty tumors, which can be anywhere between some millimeters to 40 centimeters in size. Some patients may feel vague symptoms like stomach pain and change in normal bowel habits when suffering from Colon Lipomas.

Doctors may remove colon Lipomas by endoscopic surgical procedures. A colon Lipoma is diagnosed with the help of Endoscopic Ultrasound [EUS.]

Lipomas in this particular region may cause gastrointestinal bleeding, as well as obstruction in the digestive tract. The bleeding is caused due to ulceration. That is why even though this tumor is a benign mass, it is considered to be malignant, because of its position and location.
Source: What You Should Know About Lipoma

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I found some information on the net about preventing cancer. Avoiding processed food such as wheat, white potato and ordinary processed rapeseed oil is important, as well as a high intake of iodine. They recommended ecological sea salt, I went to the store but couldn't afford that right away. Oh, and they recommended coconut - I found several cans of milk 50% off at the supermarket.
The doctor giving that information in the "video" (a voice recording and text) also said that soy milk is not good for You. If You eat soy it should be fermented.

Anyone want to advice me what to do about the insurance and/or vote?

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I compared to another insurance company now, which surprisingly doesn't offer any discounts, not even for being a non-smoker. The fee doesn't get higher as rapidly in the ages 45 and up.
The fee is pretty high and doesn't pay anywhere near as much for cancer, but this insurance includes a few more interesting things: benignt (non-cancerous) tumour above the brain, psychiatrist (10 times) at the chock of getting a severe disease or if a close relative dies, epilepsy, death by any cause, and pays ~$125 if going to hospital for one day overnight in an emergency, much less for the following days.
This insurance company doesn't have any campaigns.

So my plan would be to have the first insurance I was talking about which pays $25,000 if getting cancer, both the cancer and accident parts, and when my mom starts getting more sick an may die take this other insurance I've been talking about in this post, too. And then just before I turn 45 quit the cancer-part of the first insurance:
Anyone want to advice me what to do about the insurance and/or vote?

Additionally IF I suddenly change my habits and start exercising a lot and eat cheap but healthy and nutritious food by cooking a lot at home, soon quit the first insurance - the cancer part of it, for a time, and then take it again after a while and keep it just for a while for example at the age 42-44 years old.

The first insurance company has a benefit that the insurance can be moved to Finland with same fee and conditions IF I move there, which gives a bit of freedom.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I've been thinking more about this. Really the only thing I'm scared of right now is prostate cancer but I'm not yet of the age when the risk starts to increase. I could postpone the cancer part of the insurance from the first company because I don't feel sick. You usually feel sick for some time before getting cancer, right? But I would pick up the insurance some time from now, maybe a year or so - that would not save me a whole lot but it's still money and the risk is still low and I would not be able to go to any tests before I take the insurance but that would be OK.
I think the first insurance company talked too much about "some people can't get the insurance, if You don't get it now maybe You can't get it later". I've read on the internet earlier on and I remembered when the first insurance company was talking to me on the phone: that that is a common tactics that many companies use for selling stuff to people before they have a need for the product.
I also imagined that I would think less and less of insurances but instead I've started to think about insurances a lot - have to stop that soon - it would help if others would do some of the thinking and advice me. I'll ask one friend:
So my plan would be to have the first insurance I was talking about which pays $25,000 if getting cancer, both the cancer and accident parts, and when my mom starts getting more sick an may die take this other insurance I've been talking about in this post, too. And then just before I turn 45 quit the cancer-part of the first insurance:

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
A comparison: I guess that from how I exercise religion, I'm used to not getting something out of most of the money and some of the effort I put into it. So it doesn't surprise me how I react to insurance "offers".

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
What is better use of money: for example playing badminton at the uni, or insurances?:
not getting something out of most of the money and some of the effort I put into it.

Upvote 0