Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Vicar of Dibley immediately comes to mind. I used to enjoy that show when I was younger, they played it on PBS on Saturday evenings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,642.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Look, I'd love to see more popular culture (like TV shows) that actually does a fair job of exploring and showing what church is really like, what ministry is really like, and so on. Including more characters with experience close to mine. Mostly because on the whole, what I see in popular culture either badly misrepresents the situation or treats it as a joke.

But women priests specifically? To the extent that we're part of that reality, sure. But I'm not sure we need to make that the point of the whole thing.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟423,864.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Women clergy seem to make a reasonable showing in Midsomer Murders, which is kind of nice because they are simply part of the fabric rather than the issue. Mind you one or two of them have been villains as well!

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,679.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It would help people see women priests as normal.

I want the Catholic Church to make women priests, bishops, and cardinals.
Women priests and pastors have been around for 50 years. If they haven't been normalized by now another show about them isn't going to change anything.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,642.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To be fair, @Arcangl86, that's a particularly American viewpoint. For example, the diocese I'm in now has only been ordaining women for fifteen years, and I still meet plenty of Anglicans (if not very active ones) who are meeting a woman priest for the first time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,679.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
To be fair, @Arcangl86, that's a particularly American viewpoint. For example, the diocese I'm in now has only been ordaining women for fifteen years, and I still meet plenty of Anglicans (if not very active ones) who are meeting a woman priest for the first time.
That's true and I did think about that before posting. But in the sense of normalizing the idea enough for the Catholic Church to consider it, the thousands, if not tens of thousands, or women being ordained in one of the largest countries in the world is going to have more of an impact then another show on the BBC.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,679.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think it's pretty clear that neither are going to shift the Catholic church. When/if they change, it will be on their terms.
A professor once joked that if the CC ever did decide to ordain women the document announcing it would start with "As the Holy Catholic Church has always taught" and honestly, that ran true to me. It won't be any "normalization" of women's ordination because that would imply that the teaching of the church can be shifted by society.

ETA: It's also worth saying that as far as the CC is concerned most of our priests aren't really priests anyway.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,642.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
ETA: It's also worth saying that as far as the CC is concerned most of our priests aren't really priests anyway.
That's true, but they are more polite about the blokes, generally.

Eg. There was one parish I looked at applying for, but they didn't have a building of their own, they were worshipping in a Catholic church building. The ad for the position made it very clear that only men need apply, because the Catholics would tolerate that, but not a woman.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,642.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The vicar of Dibley is a complicated piece of pop culture. On the one hand, yes, the central character is a woman who's a priest. On the other hand, despite some very true to life moments, it's comedy that often descends to farce. It's not a very good reflection of the reality of ministry, let alone anything specific to women's experience.

Also, because it's really the only thing out there that's so well known, it tends to become the cultural referent for women in ordained ministry. The comparisons and jokes can become very tiresome.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟257,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The vicar of Dibley is a complicated piece of pop culture. On the one hand, yes, the central character is a woman who's a priest. On the other hand, despite some very true to life moments, it's comedy that often descends to farce. It's not a very good reflection of the reality of ministry, let alone anything specific to women's experience.

Also, because it's really the only thing out there that's so well known, it tends to become the cultural referent for women in ordained ministry. The comparisons and jokes can become very tiresome.
I've only seen a few episodes. I cannot really comment on it beyond that.

Upvote 0