Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Abbadon said:
NO! I'm runnin' away, and you'll never find me! :p

Ahh...Kids are so good at emotional blackmail.

BUT....So, are parents!

(Sobbing, I help you pack your bags, telling you how I am going to miss you, and I sure wish you loved me enough to stay.:cry:)

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lisa0315 said:
Ahh...Kids are so good at emotional blackmail.

BUT....So, are parents!

(Sobbing, I help you pack your bags, telling you how I am going to miss you, and I sure wish you loved me enough to stay.:cry:)

(I wander out the door, head down the block, and realize I'm not leaving my house)

"Ma'am, thanks for the bag lunch and clothes, could you point me to South Carolina?"

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Abbadon said:
(I wander out the door, head down the block, and realize I'm not leaving my house)

"Ma'am, thanks for the bag lunch and clothes, could you point me to South Carolina?"

Gosh! You were a stubborn child. Your poor Mother!

Since the guilt trip did not work on you, I would become rather stern.

"South Carolina is right back in your room, young man! March your butt in there right now."

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lisa0315 said:
Gosh! You were a stubborn child. Your poor Mother!

Yep.

Lisa0315 said:
Since the guilt trip did not work on you, I would become rather stern.

"South Carolina is right back in your room, young man! March your butt in there right now."

(returns to room, making sure that the stash of hidden wooden spoons is still out of sight).

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Abbadon said:
Yep.

(returns to room, making sure that the stash of hidden wooden spoons is still out of sight).

What's up with the wooden spoons? Oh, you think I would hit you with them? So you hid them? No, I wouldn't do that!

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lisa0315 said:
What's up with the wooden spoons? Oh, you think I would hit you with them? So you hid them? No, I wouldn't do that!

What? That's how I was raised! (No, I wasn't beaten, just the occasional swat when I was REAAAALY bad).

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Abbadon said:
What? That's how I was raised! (No, I wasn't beaten, just the occasional swat when I was REAAAALY bad).

Well, I have spanked my children when they were really small, like between 3 and 6, but it was a rare thing. More of a swat on the behind if they had done something really dangerous. It was the for the shock effect. I am not against Corporal Punishment, but I think it should be used very, very rarely. I know some parents who spank their children for EVERY infraction. It just becomes a useless punishment if it is used to much. Once they become school age, and start having friends over, there are just better ways to discipline.

Shoot, my Mother? She used a switch. If you don't know what that is, it is very thin branch from a bush. I think ours was a Forsythia bush. Anyway, the worst part was we had to go get the switch ourselves. Trust me on this. Never, ever get a green one! With my brothers, she used a belt. Different generation, I guess. I sure never felt like she had done anything wrong.

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lisa0315 said:
Shoot, my Mother? She used a switch. If you don't know what that is, it is very thin branch from a bush. I think ours was a Forsythia bush. Anyway, the worst part was we had to go get the switch ourselves. Trust me on this. Never, ever get a green one! With my brothers, she used a belt. Different generation, I guess. I sure never felt like she had done anything wrong.

I've heard this from my parents.

And church members.

And substitute teachers.

So far, you are the youngest person I've heard tell it.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Abbadon said:
I've heard this from my parents.

And church members.

And substitute teachers.

So far, you are the youngest person I've heard tell it.

Do you have kids? If so, what kind of disipline do you use, and why? If not, what do you think you would do, say, if the child brought home a failing grade.

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lisa0315 said:
Do you have kids? If so, what kind of disipline do you use, and why? If not, what do you think you would do, say, if the child brought home a failing grade.

I don't have kids. I'd try stern warnings (with reasonings why they shouldn't be doing what they're doing, just to make sure they know what they're doing is wrong, and why), then depravation of privilages, then work (be it a job I don't feel like doing at the moment, or just push-ups), and if that doesn't work, corporal punishment. Failure to get the idea with one concept would force me to move onto the next concept. Actually, there are some things I wouldn't use corporal punishment for (failing grade is one of them), I'd just do more severe punishment of the previous steps.

I don't exactly have room to tell my kids (whenever they get here) to get all A's, but if they brought home an F, I'd hold them to the same standards I held myself to in school. If the F was for a single minor assignment, I don't really care. If it's for the class, they'd better get working, and I'll do my best to help them, even if it means removing distracting privilages.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Abbadon said:
I don't have kids. I'd try stern warnings (with reasonings why they shouldn't be doing what they're doing, just to make sure they know what they're doing is wrong, and why), then depravation of privilages, then work (be it a job I don't feel like doing at the moment, or just push-ups), and if that doesn't work, corporal punishment. Failure to get the idea with one concept would force me to move onto the next concept. Actually, there are some things I wouldn't use corporal punishment for (failing grade is one of them), I'd just do more severe punishment of the previous steps.

I don't exactly have room to tell my kids (whenever they get here) to get all A's, but if they brought home an F, I'd hold them to the same standards I held myself to in school. If the F was for a single minor assignment, I don't really care. If it's for the class, they'd better get working, and I'll do my best to help them, even if it means removing distracting privilages.

You will be a great parent someday.

I agree. You don't use corporal punishment except in the most extreme circumstances, and only if all other options have failed to work. Getting to the bottom of the bad behavior is what is important.

I'll tell you another good one to try. When my daughter got a bad grade on an interim report or a report card, I would make her write some of the "begets" in the Bible. You know...Abraham begat Isaac, and Isaac begat Jacob, and Jacob begat... I would tell her, "If you are not going to do your work at school, you will work for me!"

Upvote 0