Aug 9, 2004
McKinney, Texas
✟18,251.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
NormalDan said:
It seems I used to ask "why?" a lot. Usually I would ask God this question. But once I became an atheist, I no longer asked, I was able to figure out the answer myself. Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think it has to do with atheism, or just the fact I grew a little?

I still find myself asking it from time to time, it bugs me to no end because it just won't go away, even there really is no answer.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Why, why do I do this, and not that, then one must ask why do that instead of this, one could ask why do I even ask why, and even if I give a reason, they will just ask why. Why means you either don't understand, or you don't want to. Their or something we cannot understand, and even why we cannot understand them can not be understood. Now we have a infinite meta-reasoning.

Upvote 0

psychedelicist

aka the Akhashic Record Player
Aug 9, 2004
McKinney, Texas
✟18,251.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
lawtonfogle said:
Why, why do I do this, and not that, then one must ask why do that instead of this, one could ask why do I even ask why, and even if I give a reason, they will just ask why. Why means you either don't understand, or you don't want to. Their or something we cannot understand, and even why we cannot understand them can not be understood. Now we have a infinite meta-reasoning.

Indeed. It's quite an annoying strange loop paradox. Or would it be a quine? Isuppose it would be able to be put into quine form- '"cannot be understood" cannot be understood.'. Really makes my brain hurt to thing about strange loops.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
psychedelicist said:
Indeed. It's quite an annoying strange loop paradox. Or would it be a quine? Isuppose it would be able to be put into quine form- '"cannot be understood" cannot be understood.'. Really makes my brain hurt to thing about strange loops.
Or maybe a Hofstadter? He is a "strange loop" guy, is he not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
NormalDan said:
It seems I used to ask "why?" a lot. Usually I would ask God this question. But once I became an atheist, I no longer asked, I was able to figure out the answer myself. Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think it has to do with atheism, or just the fact I grew a little?
What was your answer to why do I exist?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
levi501 said:
so you think you could exist without your parents having sex.

That's irrelevant to the question of "why" one exists. Theories about reproduction can only address the question of "how" your existence came about.

Upvote 0