-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sex is perceived as a negative thing, why? I think non of the modern theologian took that path, unless you're roman Catholic. But the early writer like anthanisus, John chrysostom and other monks advocate we displine our flesh to devote to God. In protestantism, many I know don't even fast.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sex is perceived as a negative thing, why? I think non of the modern theologian took that path, unless you're roman Catholic. But the early writer like anthanisus, John chrysostom and other monks advocate we displine our flesh to devote to God. In protestantism, many I know don't even fast.

Its pretty easy if you look at the New Testament. Your top people are dedicated to God as in Jesus, John the Baptist, and saint Paul.

1 Corinthians 7

8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

• Agree
Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Its pretty easy if you look at the New Testament. Your top people are dedicated to God as in Jesus, John the Baptist, and saint Paul.

1 Corinthians 7

8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
Default options is to stay single? Means Christian today are mostly weak?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's true, the spiritual disciplines that have been part and parcel of the faith for centuries are disregarded by many (most?) Protestants. I'm Protestant and it's not good, imo. We tell people, "Have faith and go out and live the life" but we don't offer great tools for doing that, tools that have always been there. Fasting and watching, self-denial, in some form or another is essential to spiritual growth. How could it be otherwise? Mere belief took the place of lived faith, maybe.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's true, the spiritual disciplines that have been part and parcel of the faith for centuries are disregarded by many (most?) Protestants. I'm Protestant and it's not good, imo. We tell people, "Have faith and go out and live the life" but we don't offer great tools for doing that, tools that have always been there. Fasting and watching, self-denial, in some form or another is essential to spiritual growth. How could it be otherwise? Mere belief took the place of lived faith, maybe.
What is spiritual grow? Should we quit our secular job at choose caveman life? If yes how do we preach the gospel?

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is spiritual grow? Should we quit our secular job at choose caveman life? If yes how do we preach the gospel?

No, no cave man life, unless that's your thing, but spiritual disciplines for growth in grace. We die to self by increments. It's better to do it over time than be surprised when, in the blink of an eye, you have to give back what's not your own.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The Christian view on asceticism and celibacy stems from the practices of the Jewish Essenes. The Essenes were one of the major sects of Judaism at the advent of Christianity. According to Josephus they were celibate but did not absolutely deny the idea of marriage. That is -as pointed out above by @Pavel Mosko - the Christian view of marriage and celibacy. Celibacy is the preferred state but marriage is not prohibited for all.

If you read Josephus' account of the Essenes, and study the Dead Sea Scrolls believed to have been written by them, you will find many of the underpinnings of the traditions of Christianity. They also -I believe- fill in a lot of details left out of the gospels.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟183,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Default options is to stay single? Means Christian today are mostly weak?

In the both the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox churches, marriage is a form of asceticism. I submit my desires for my wife and family just as a monk submits to his abbot. In fact the Orthodox wedding the first steps of the now-married couple are led by the priest. One verse of the Dance of Isaiah is

O Holy Martyrs,
who fought the good fight and have received your crowns,
Entreat ye the Lord,
That He will have mercy on our souls.
We are martyrs to each other and our true purpose is to work together towards salvation.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

ha-adamah

Feb 23, 2022
Spokane, Washington
✟15,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

All cultures have sex taboos, not just Christians.

Christianity derives from a purist culture, and so we probably have more taboos, protections, etc. But we don't think of it in a negative sense.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟485,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
In the both the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox churches, marriage is a form of asceticism. I submit my desires for my wife and family just as a monk submits to his abbot. In fact the Orthodox wedding the first steps of the now-married couple are led by the priest. One verse of the Dance of Isaiah is

O Holy Martyrs,
who fought the good fight and have received your crowns,
Entreat ye the Lord,
That He will have mercy on our souls.
We are martyrs to each other and our true purpose is to work together towards salvation.

Indeed, I have seen it called a martyrdom in Orthodox texts, which makes sense because people who enter into Holy Matrimony otherwise seem destined for divorce in our perverted culture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums