Who Told You Jesus Was Poor?

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Having a treasurer doesn't infer riches in any way. It just shows the group had a pooled source of money. Riches are not required for this form of group organization.

That's funny! :D Numerous places in the Gospels indicates Jesus and His crew had money. It takes money to obtain good and services as God does not always do miracles to feed and cloth and provide for their basic needs. There is a thing called work and Jesus worked for the Father and He was paid handsomely for it... and gave the vast majority of it away except for general operating expenses. Scripture references can be found in the man's book, so go buy it to see it!

OK, so you think Jesus was poor and God likes for people to be poor... I expect you to quit your job and give away everything if you truly believe the doctrine of being poor is correct.

If you are going to be a good steward of the poor doctrine, you aren't allowed to have anything because you would be a hypocrite if you have anything.

You should live under the bridge and wear a gunny sack and fast all the time :thumbsup: Isn't it time you got with the poor program and become an example for others so they too can become poor?

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's funny! :D Numerous places in the Gospels indicates Jesus and His crew had money. It takes money to obtain good and services as God does not always do miracles to feed and cloth and provide for their basic needs. There is a thing called work and Jesus worked for the Father and He was paid handsomely for it... and gave the vast majority of it away except for general operating expenses. Scripture references can be found in the man's book, so go buy it to see it!

None of that implies "rich", rather provision. There is a difference.

OK, so you think Jesus was poor and God likes for people to be poor... I expect you to quit your job and give away everything if you truly believe the doctrine of being poor is correct.

If you are going to be a good steward of the poor doctrine, you aren't allowed to have anything because you would be a hypocrite if you have anything.

You should live under the bridge and wear a gunny sack and fast all the time :thumbsup: Isn't it time you got with the poor program and become an example for others so they too can become poor?

I never said any of that. You need to check yourself before you violate the 9th commandment in this instance.

Upvote 0

saffron park

The Gom Jabbar, the High-Handed Enemy
Aug 17, 2012
[!] Upstate [!] New York
✟13,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's funny! :D Numerous places in the Gospels indicates Jesus and His crew had money. It takes money to obtain good and services as God does not always do miracles to feed and cloth and provide for their basic needs.

Obviously he had some money, but that's not the same thing as rich.

There is a thing called work and Jesus worked for the Father and He was paid handsomely for it...
So was there some sort of Celestial punch-clock somewhere?

Again, Bible references or it didn't happen.

and gave the vast majority of it away except for general operating expenses. Scripture references can be found in the man's book, so go buy it to see it!

I shouldn't have to pay money for you to prove your outrageous statements.

Nobody is saying that is is wrong to have money.

By that logic you're saying that it's sinful not to have money.

Upvote 0

slickvolt

Sep 26, 2013
✟7,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gospel Guy,

I've just read through the entire thread, and honestly, I must say, you seem obsessed with money.

Jesus could have the ALL the wealth he ever needed, he was fully God and capable of speaking money into existence, as he did in Matthew 17:27

Matthew 17:27 "But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch, open its mouth and you will find a four drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours."

This verse demonstrates a couple of REAL BASIC TRUTHS, the first of which is Jesus didnt have any money on him in this instance. The second is Jesus could miraculously bring money into existance. Third his ministry wasnt about things of this earth, ever, it was always about His Fathers business, which was? Delivering unto Himself a people for His Name. Jesus came to pay our penalty for sin, to bridge the gap that sin had caused to seperate us from God the Father. Nothing in this World, including the World, nor any of its riches will leave this world and enter into Gods eternity...This place and all it is, is temporary...a few blips on the screen, when compared to eternity.

Jesus ministry on earth had Zero to do with money, and was entirely set on eternal things.

John 6:27 "Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will Give you, for on him, God the Father has placed his seal of approval."

Upvote 0

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I must say, you seem obsessed with money

Well, you'd be wrong... Jesus said where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

I'm advocating Deuteronomy 8:18 which teaches us that the purpose for God's people having money is so God can use it to establish His Covenant (today we would say establish the Gospel)... since this world does run on money, and it takes money to take the gospel to the world.

My primary focus in life is being led by the Holy Ghost... and that's why He leads me to jump in on conversations like this because there is so much confusion about money as satan does his best to teach Christians that having money is wrong... but it's OK for the world to use money to spread sin.

Unfortunately, alot of Christians think money is evil just because they have seen it used for evil purposes. If you study your Bible you'll find that God owns ALL the wealth and He desires to bring it to His people to use to spread the Gospel... well, to the ones that He can trust to not spend it on themselves so they can look like big shots

Jesus ministry on earth had Zero to do with money
True, He was here for bigger purposes... yet, because He was here on earth He did use money, so much so He had to have a guy on staff who's job was to handle all the money.

You forget that Jesus was very popular among the people... not the religious leaders, but the masses... who gave alot of money to support His ministry. Read the guy's book at the start of this thread for New Testament references to prove Jesus had plenty of cash.

Upvote 0

PrudenceAnn

Jan 30, 2014
In total awe of the Glory of God
✟8,051.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok... So... Having read through this thread I have one question...

Why does it matter?

Does material wealth make His teachings any less awesome? No. Does it impact Grace, Love, Salvation? No. Is there any evidence in the Bible that indicated that Jesus used any material wealth He may have had for the purposes of self gratification? No.

It doesn't make the slightest difference.

From my perspective, the question "did Jesus have material wealth?" is a distraction.

If I am wrong here, I am happy to stand corrected...

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

Jesus definitely wasn't poor. Far from it. You've got to be indoctrinated to have that belief.

My book is free today on Amazon. I hope to changed the way people think Jesus lived on earth.

Amazon.com: who told you jesus was poor

Where did Jesus get all the wealth from? He obviously couldn't have inherited it from Joseph.

Nice two sentence lead in to your book. ;)

Upvote 0