✟27,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I found this conclusion part of the message to be most powerful:

"You have just now heard of a proud, powerful zealot stopped in his full career, struck down to the earth with a light from heaven, converted by the almighty power of efficacious grace. And thereupon [he was] zealously promoting, nay, resolutely suffering for the faith that once—with threatenings and slaughters—he endeavored to destroy. Let this teach us to pity and pray for our Lord’s most inveterate enemies. Who knows but, in answer hereunto, our Lord may give them repentance unto life? Most think that Christ had respect unto Stephen’s prayer when He converted Saul. Perhaps for this reason God suffers His adversaries to go on, so that His goodness and power may shine more brightly in their conversion.

But let not the persecutors of Christ take encouragement from this to continue in their opposition. Remember, though Saul was converted, yet the high priest and Saul’s companions were left dead in trespasses and sins. And if this should be your case, you will of all men be most miserable, for persecutors have the lowest place in hell. And if Saul was struck to the earth by a light from heaven, how will you be able to stand before Jesus Christ when He comes in terrible majesty to take vengeance on all those who have persecuted His gospel? Then the question, “Why persecutest thou me?” will cut you through and through. The secret enmity of your hearts shall be then detected before men and angels, and you shall be doomed to dwell in the blackness of darkness for evermore.

Kiss the Son therefore, lest He be angry (Psa 2:12), for even you may yet find mercy if you believe on the Son of God. Though you persecute Him, yet He will be your Jesus. I cannot despair of any of you when I find a Saul among the disciples at Damascus. Though your sins are as scarlet, the blood of Christ shall wash them as white as snow (Isa 1:18). Having much to be forgiven, despair not—only believe. And like Saul, of whom I have now been speaking, love much. He counted himself the chiefest sinner of all, and therefore labored more abundantly than all (1Ti 1:15; 1Co 15:10).

Who is there among you fearing the Lord? Whose hearts has the Lord now opened to hearken to the voice of his poor unworthy servant! Surely the Lord will not let me preach in vain. Who is the happy soul that is this day to be washed in the blood of the Lamb? Will no poor sinner take encouragement from Saul to come to Jesus Christ? You are all thronging round, but which of you will touch the Lord Jesus? What a comfort will it be to Saul and to your own souls, when you meet him in heaven, to tell him that hearing of him was a means under God of your conversion!

Doubtless it was written for the encouragement of all poor returning sinners; he himself tells us so: for “in me first Jesus Christ shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern [i.e., an example] to them which should hereafter believe” (1Ti 1:16). Were Saul here himself, he would tell you so, indeed he would; but being dead, by this account of his conversion he yet speaks. O that God may speak by it to your hearts! O that the arrows of God might this day stick fast in your souls, and you be made to cry out, “Who art thou Lord?” Are there any such amongst you? Methinks I feel something of what this Saul felt when he said, “I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you” (Gal 4:19). O come, come away to Jesus, on Whom Saul believed—and then I care not if the high priests issue out ever so many writs or injuriously drag me to a prison. The thoughts of being instrumental in saving you will make me sing praises even at midnight (Act 16:25). And I know you will be my joy and crown of rejoicing, when I am delivered from this earthly prison and meet you in the kingdom of God hereafter (1Th 2:19)."

-George Whitefield from Saul's Conversion, A Lecture, Preached on Saturday Afternoon. September 12th, 1741. in the High-Church-Yard of Glasgow

Full message: