Which Political Candidates Do Best With Ephesians 4:29 in Talking the Talk and Following Through With Service To Others?

Which US Candidate(s) Do Best in Talking The Talk, Ephesians 4:29 and Matthew 5:37 ?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nikki Haley

• Chris Christie

• Other write in - comment in thread, which will add to polling choices if much discussion of another

• Ryan Binkley

• Total voters

sprknjc

John 15:13
Feb 3, 2024
Northern Virginia outer suburbs
✟7,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No one is perfect except Jesus with Ephesians 4:29 - 'Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen'. For those in politics, it is even more challenging to practice this verse, especially to a wider audience and even more so to the entire very diverse American public. As far as politicians in speaking and following through on their actions, Matthew 5:37 also should mention - 'But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.' Also a politician who sincerely talks with and prays to the God of a number of faiths regularly serving Him. And so that is talking the talk. But then in walking the walk, there are many examples of Jesus and each of us, whether professing to be a Believer or still seeking and not yet there what we do in our day to day actions in our service to others including our communites. And that is difficult for a political servant of the people, especially working with people with varied backgrounds, including those in power such as other members of Congress to get beneficial legislation passed.

The intent of this thread is to help us in voting in November general election to find those candidates who are best in doing Ephesians 4:29, Matthew 5:37, and following through on their actions to help our country going forward. As know from past elections, we have all seen TV ads of candidates, news clips, or postal mailings of mud slinging their opponents and that is a quite a focus of their campaign. Think of candidates who more publicly speak of what they will do positively for our country. Looking forward to comments about candidates who even very unlikely will be elected, but you are voting your God given conscience, each of us thinking what is best for our loved One or ones, knowing in the final election outcome that Romans 13:1 applies -'Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.' No one knows except God what will happen in the country in the next months prior to November, James 4:13-16. Others have mentioned the movie The Longest Yard from 2005 which I have watched recently, where we may end up with an election where no candidate gets a majority of the electoral or even the popular vote for President, and events from that movie may play out in this election season.

To help keep this thread focused, besides bringing up positive candidate actions for our country:

- Only those *in* or running for federal office, President, Vice President, House of Representatives, or Senate. Separate similar threads could be started for regions less than the entire US or regions around the world, but those people may not be well known across the US or around the globe.

- Candidates must be a US Citizen and/or must otherwise qualify for the federal position they are running for.

- Candidate can be actively running their campaign or have suspended it (suspend does not always mean terminate, which campaign could be resurrected)

- Candidate must be breathing and alive today on this earth. Even those who are older and even long out of politics, but had a good impact in the past, are OK to bring up. No fictitious characters from the movies, TV, entertainment theme parks, etc.

- For those are who starting in their political career or aspiring to run for Congress or President or VP, only bring up those who are already served or serving in federal office *or* who is or currently or in the past a state governor. For federal government service, It can be even be a Congressional staffer or someone who is serving or has served in a federal government agency position.

- For those candidates well less known, it will be helpful and beneficial to us to include URL/website news or video links, whether mainstream i.e. Fox, CNN or faith based, Christian Post, TBN. Refrain from bringing up unsubstantiated individual posts from other social media sources such as Reddit, TikTok, FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube (unless part of a sermon to a congregation), etc. who are external to Christian Forums.

Last edited:

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟7,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟249,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Here is another one to think about, the current Speaker of the House, in and running for his seat in Congress - Home - Mike Johnson and Mike Johnson (Louisiana politician) - Wikipedia though none of us are perfect. One who serves and leads in Congress is also important in the November election.
No.

Of the ones in the list, I think Mike Pence might sort of maybe could almost be slightly better at not violating the two pieces of scripture than the others. He did have that unfortunate four years as Trump's VP, which is certainly a black mark on his record, but otherwise he does at least try to appear honorable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟7,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
- For those are who starting in their political career or aspiring to run for Congress or President or VP, only bring up those who are already served or serving in federal office *or* who is or currently or in the past a state governor. For federal government service, It can be even be a Congressional staffer or someone who is serving or has served in a federal government agency position.
On thinking more about this, I will also add to the poll above those who are new to the political arena, who are on the Republican or Democratic primary tickets in more than one state for President, whether they have an active campaign or suspended it. For now, I have added pastor Ryan Binkley which a good friend of mine offline suggested.

Other adds to the poll? Can do if two or more suggest, but its just some of these other lesser knowns on the primary tickets I have not researched enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟248,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Moot, since the Bible and what it says has no bearing on what politicians should or shouldn't do in office. If a candidate wishes to live their faith in service of the people that's fine, but it's not a valid measuring stick of a good politician, IMO. Might as well ask if they do best with Elven philosophy from Lord of the Rings.

Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟7,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No (for Mike Johnson, Louisiana, edit added here for clarity)

Of the ones in the list, I think Mike Pence might sort of maybe could almost be slightly better at not violating the two pieces of scripture than the others. He did have that unfortunate four years as Trump's VP, which is certainly a black mark on his record, but otherwise he does at least try to appear honorable.
There are things about Mike Johnson which are admirable in some minds, and unlikely in my life experience you are going to agree with a politician on every issue. I do see in the Wikipedia article where Johnson has wavered over time about his opinion about Trump in perhaps reading Matthew 5:37 - In 2015, Johnson wrote on Facebook that "Donald Trump. lacks the character and the moral center we desperately need again in the White House", adding: "I am afraid he would break more things than he fixes. He is a hot head by nature, and that is a dangerous trait to have in a Commander in Chief. I just don't think he has the demeanor to be President." In 2019, during Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation, Johnson defended Trump, saying that Trump had "cooperated fully" with the investigation and "done nothing wrong". In 2019, during the first impeachment of Donald Trump, Johnson defended Trump and told White House officials to ignore Congressional subpoenas as "legitimate executive privilege in legal immunity". He served as a member of Trump's legal defense team during both the 2019 and 2021 Senate impeachment trials, each of which resulted in acquittal. Johnson endorsed Trump's 2024 campaign for president. '

To some extent, opinions of a person can change over time because of legitimate circumstances, I mostly have to agree with Johnson through 2020 about Trump. Since 2021 from this reading, Johnson and I perhaps disagree about Trump, his long time moral issues now (not enough information in the Wikipedia article). Another thing to think about, if Trump was elected President again and had Wing Men similar to Pence for VP and Johnson next in line for Speaker of the House, that could help Trump in his communication again similar to Trump's work as President from 2017 to 2020. Interesting article - Trump Cabinet Members Attend Weekly Bible Study for 'Maturity in Christ' . James 4:13-16 could play out though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟7,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Moot, since the Bible and what it says has no bearing on what politicians should or shouldn't do in office. If a candidate wishes to live their faith in service of the people that's fine, but it's not a valid measuring stick of a good politician, IMO. Might as well ask if they do best with Elven philosophy from Lord of the Rings.
The Bible if you believe is the Owner's Manual to Life for all of us. Some politicians take this to heart, but others do not. There is the Ten Commandments, people who spoke well and served others including Jesus, but also others felt human pain and anguish which King David is one example. If you violate God's commandments and rules for living continually, He will try to restore you as a good father, parent, older relative, or guardian would, sometimes gently, but at other times with more punishment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟7,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
On thinking more about this, I will also add to the poll above those who are new to the political arena, who are on the Republican or Democratic primary tickets in more than one state for President, whether they have an active campaign or suspended it. For now, I have added pastor Ryan Binkley which a good friend of mine offline suggested.

Other adds to the poll? Can do if two or more suggest, but its just some of these other lesser knowns on the primary tickets I have not researched enough.
I just found out I cannot include more than 10 choices to the poll above. Feel free to add your comments below if you select the Write In choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟216,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mike Pence and Mike Johnson act the most pious. Pence would be better than Johnson as Johnson has supported the J6 insurrectionists which ought to disqualify him. Pence stood for the constitution rather than for MAGA and Trump.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟917,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one is perfect except Jesus with Ephesians 4:29 - 'Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen'. For those in politics, it is even more challenging to practice this verse, especially to a wider audience and even more so to the entire very diverse American public. As far as politicians in speaking and following through on their actions, Matthew 5:37 also should mention - 'But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.' Also a politician who sincerely talks with and prays to the God of a number of faiths regularly serving Him. And so that is talking the talk. But then in walking the walk, there are many examples of Jesus and each of us, whether professing to be a Believer or still seeking and not yet there what we do in our day to day actions in our service to others including our communites. And that is difficult for a political servant of the people, especially working with people with varied backgrounds, including those in power such as other members of Congress to get beneficial legislation passed.

The intent of this thread is to help us in voting in November general election to find those candidates who are best in doing Ephesians 4:29, Matthew 5:37, and following through on their actions to help our country going forward. As know from past elections, we have all seen TV ads of candidates, news clips, or postal mailings of mud slinging their opponents and that is a quite a focus of their campaign. Think of candidates who more publicly speak of what they will do positively for our country. Looking forward to comments about candidates who even very unlikely will be elected, but you are voting your God given conscience, each of us thinking what is best for our loved One or ones, knowing in the final election outcome that Romans 13:1 applies -'Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.' No one knows except God what will happen in the country in the next months prior to November, James 4:13-16. Others have mentioned the movie The Longest Yard from 2005 which I have watched recently, where we may end up with an election where no candidate gets a majority of the electoral or even the popular vote for President, and events from that movie may play out in this election season.

To help keep this thread focused, besides bringing up positive candidate actions for our country:

- Only those *in* or running for federal office, President, Vice President, House of Representatives, or Senate. Separate similar threads could be started for regions less than the entire US or regions around the world, but those people may not be well known across the US or around the globe.

- Candidates must be a US Citizen and/or must otherwise qualify for the federal position they are running for.

- Candidate can be actively running their campaign or have suspended it (suspend does not always mean terminate, which campaign could be resurrected)

- Candidate must be breathing and alive today on this earth. Even those who are older and even long out of politics, but had a good impact in the past, are OK to bring up. No fictitious characters from the movies, TV, entertainment theme parks, etc.

- For those candidates well less known, it will be helpful and beneficial to us to include URL/website news or video links, whether mainstream i.e. Fox, CNN or faith based, Christian Post, TBN. Refrain from bringing up unsubstantiated individual posts from other social media sources such as Reddit, TikTok, FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube (unless part of a sermon to a congregation), etc. who are external to Christian Forums.
I voted Pence however, he's a "fence" kind of person , which makes him the wrong kind person for politics. Never heard of an Evangelical Cathoilic for starters. :scratch:

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟7,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
These items lean me toward DeSantis, voting my God given conscience keeping in mind Romans 13:1 God is in control of this election. A good thought for believers, Trump for President, and Wingmen DeSantis as VP and Mike Johnson, current Speaker of the House.

How he worked with a divided Florida legislature to pass helpful legislation to citizens there
I have friends and family in Florida who talk with regularly who further say DeSantis is helpful to them and their communities. At the same time, no one but Jesus is perfect, but we all are human.

Strengthened e-verify in Florida among other measures

How DeSantis's policy agenda is grounded in his own faith and family. Article talks about gender ideology, religious freedom threatened, and power of prayer.

Christ centered household and upbringing. Talks about David and Goliath and how relevant to current culture, and combating evils affecting nearly all of us.

He is winning 1+% of the vote in the Republican primaries, including more than 3% in Florida March 19, even though he suspended his campaign earlier. Am not alone in thoughts about DeSantis.

More of his bio and his stances on issues important to each of us - Ron DeSantis - Wikipedia

Upvote 0