Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well I want to at least start a private bible study that's for people who don't mind it. But specifically people open to debate and aren't dead set into a certain set of beliefs

Well, there's nothing wrong with that, but you are close enough to the beliefs of a number of existing and fairly well-known denominations that we think you should stay with one. And I will throw this in as well--you are conversant with the writings of a number of contemporary theologians and disagree with some of their ideas. I don't see any reason not to just dismiss the ones who are off on some tangent, and not let it affect your decision about a church.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,185.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
To graceandpeace: I have considered just "settling" for a Baptist church but there are so many differences I have with them still. I am amillenialist unlike John Macarthur who is dispensational and even RC Sproul now believes in preterism.Especially in my area, I already know they aren't amillenialist. Most believe in the pretrib rapture. Why not start another church? We need churches to prepare people and I'm sure I could attract at least 20 people who agree with me.

To my knowledge, Baptist churches generally vary or don't necessarily offer a specific view on that topic. I agree that amillenialism is the correct view & personally wouldn't attend a church that taught differently.

MacArthur pastors a "non-denominational" church & Sproul is Presbyterian.

It would basically be Lutheran with some emphasized doctrines. I'm not happy that my Lutheran church only preaches from the New testament though, and it's always grace grace grace.... I need to learn the Old testament too.

Most churches offer Sunday school, small groups, or other gatherings apart from the sermon for general Bible study & faith conversations.

I think sermons are too short (only 30 min). I think they should be 3 hours. You know in persecuted Asian countries, there is no time limit on preaching, it goes on for like 8 hours from what I've read. I really see some dark times ahead for this country and so many people who are still too comfortable and just want to hear grace.

Don't count on the average Christian in the US to attend a 3 hour or longer sermon. The human attention span only lasts so long, & one can only absorb so much info at a time. The primary reason for meeting as a church should be to worship & encounter Jesus - not for a marathon preaching session.

Anyway, I think we've advised you clearly that to start your own church is a bad idea, & that there are existing options that would work. Do the research necessary, & good luck to you.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟48,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
hey I'm back, thanks for answering my questions from all these years. My views constantly change LOL . thanks for bearing with me , I am extremely close right now to ACNA Anglicanism. for me this is really big as I havent gone in years

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,249,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
hey I'm back, thanks for answering my questions from all these years. My views constantly change LOL . thanks for bearing with me , I am extremely close right now to ACNA Anglicanism. for me this is really big as I havent gone in years
I think framing it as 'which denomination fits my views' it should be 1) where does God want me regardless of my views, and 2) which is true regardless of my views. We should be willing to grow in our views if we need to. Not just seek affirmation of our views of the moment.

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟74,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You might wanna try a Baptist church. Since we are autonomous, there is a lot of leeway about what you can believe or non-essential doctrines.

Some Baptists are strict Arminians, others are Calvinist to the point they are practically Presbyterians who refuse to baptize infants, but most Baptists are somewhere in between.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟969,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
ECO | A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians

Thanks. I was trying to work out the acronym, which would have been pointless I now find out from the website:

"The name ECO is not an acronym. It reinforces our passion for strengthening the ecosystems of local churches..."

I dislike acronyms but I don't think non-descript branding is any better. :scratch:

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,944.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks. I was trying to work out the acronym, which would have been pointless I now find out from the website:

"The name ECO is not an acronym. It reinforces our passion for strengthening the ecosystems of local churches..."

I dislike acronyms but I don't think non-descript branding is any better. :scratch:

I agree with you on that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums