Jack Isaacks

Jan 24, 2017
Arizona
✟12,262.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have recently acquired a Bible which is a Collins RSV 1952 edition, would you say this is a suitable translation for a Catholic? I have the good news Bible and KJV, which would you say is the most suitable, as I find the KJV hard going, are they much of a muchness?
The trick with the KJV is to find a COMPLETE copy, which includes the Apocrypha.

There are to my knowledge only three English versions of the Bible that are based on the Received Text: KJV, New KJV, and its spinoff, the Orthodox Study Bible, with the OT translated from the LX.

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Go to biblegateway.com and read your favourete passage in as many of the hundreds of translations they have there and decide which version you want to use.

All modern translation examine every known copy of the bible and seek the most faithfull translation they can make.

All that matters is that you study, read etc the bible.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
can you get the RSV Catholic Edition?
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition - Wikipedia

as a translation, the KJV is not that bad, but some of the footnotes are inadequate
there is also the Douay Rheims, a Catholic translation that came out around the same time as the King James
it was revised in 1752 and and again in 1899 to make the language a bit more understandable for modern readers

these 1752 is called the Douay Rhiems Challoner Revision and I would compare it to the New King James translation?

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I would definitely say the 1952 RSV 1st Edition beats all of the closest competition! It's an excellent all-around Bible and very suitable for Catholics. I use it a lot myself, the spine of my copy is worn outwardly even though it's not all that long ago I bought it. Although I do use other versions as well, but You can safely set aside Your KJV to gather dust.
If You want to stick mainly with one Bible, go with that RSV which You have!
I've been researching and comparing various English Bible versions for quite a while, a third of my life:
I have recently acquired a Bible which is a Collins RSV 1952 edition, would you say this is a suitable translation for a Catholic? I have the good news Bible and KJV, which would you say is the most suitable[...]?

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I recommend this one (available in EWTN's religious catalogue):

DOUAY-RHEIMS & CLEMENTINA VULGATA.jpg

DOUAY-RHEIMS & CLEMENTINA VULGATA

Upvote 0

Jack Isaacks

Jan 24, 2017
Arizona
✟12,262.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
can you get the RSV Catholic Edition?
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition - Wikipedia

as a translation, the KJV is not that bad, but some of the footnotes are inadequate
there is also the Douay Rheims, a Catholic translation that came out around the same time as the King James
it was revised in 1752 and and again in 1899 to make the language a bit more understandable for modern readers

these 1752 is called the Douay Rhiems Challoner Revision and I would compare it to the New King James translation?
The KJV was originally not published with footnotes.

Christ is risen!

Upvote 0