Visit site
✟477,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I personally feel Jim Caviezel did the best, and Jonathan Romie does a decent job.
If I remember correctly, my parents made us watch Greatest story ever told every year, after watching a few days before the movie of Moses.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟438,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Caviezel for sure. We just rewatched The Passion of the Christ this afternoon and he has an authentic look in his eyes. There's something about the look that Roumie has in his eyes that feels wrong, like he's aware he's popular for playing Jesus and he's reveling in it.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, there are dozens of depictions out there, and dozens of actors, so I'll have to speak only in terms of the depictions I have actually seen.

I liked Robert Powell's depiction in Jesus of Nazareth (1977); but he had the same problem that Max von Sydow had in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965): Jesus is just a little too somber and sober, kind of majestic, yes, but also too distant, like there wasn't much humanity to him. Out of those two, I liked Powell's depiction much better.

In Jesus (1979), Brian Deacon did a credible job, but the whole film was a little too saccharin-y for my taste, just a little too goody-goody, a little too, I don't know, Sunday school-ish, I guess you'd say.

Jim Caviezel in The Passion (2004) was absolutely magnificent; there can be no other description. I loved every minute of his performance, as well as the entire film.

And, although it may place me in the minority here, I think if I had to choose the one I like best, I'd have to say Jonathan Roumie in The Chosen. I'm not saying anybody has to agree with me; but there are aspects of the series that have spoken to me in deep ways that no other depiction ever has before. Jesus is presented as not only God, but also as human, in ways that I don't think other filmmakers have ever explored before. Roumie is able to portray Jesus' compassion and kindness in his performance that nobody else has ever managed to achieve.

Just my humble opinion. :)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟477,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, there are dozens of depictions out there, and dozens of actors, so I'll have to speak only in terms of the depictions I have actually seen.

I liked Robert Powell's depiction in Jesus of Nazareth (1977); but he had the same problem that Max von Sydow had in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965): Jesus is just a little too somber and sober, kind of majestic, yes, but also too distant, like there wasn't much humanity to him. Out of those two, I liked Powell's depiction much better.

In Jesus (1979), Brian Deacon did a credible job, but the whole film was a little too saccharin-y for my taste, just a little too goody-goody, a little too, I don't know, Sunday school-ish, I guess you'd say.

Jim Caviezel in The Passion (2004) was absolutely magnificent; there can be no other description. I loved every minute of his performance, as well as the entire film.

And, although it may place me in the minority here, I think if I had to choose the one I like best, I'd have to say Jonathan Roumie in The Chosen. I'm not saying anybody has to agree with me; but there are aspects of the series that have spoken to me in deep ways that no other depiction ever has before. Jesus is presented as not only God, but also as human, in ways that I don't think other filmmakers have ever explored before. Roumie is able to portray Jesus' compassion and kindness in his performance that nobody else has ever managed to achieve.

Just my humble opinion. :)
Jim and Jonathon score higher for me.
I have not watched the Chosen in a couple years now.
The greatest story was something my parents put on every year.
I def watched it... and it did make me emotional, but Jim really makes the emotions come out.

Jonathon brings Jesus to life, and I remember that to 'know Him is to love Him'... I heard years ago.

Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0