Where's home?

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I feel it's one of the big challenges of being a PK is trying to live somewhere comfortably. I know that not all PKs face the challenge of moving and an amazing few they get to grow up and live all in one place. In some cases I'm really glad that I've gotten to live in different places and that my view of the world is a bit more expanded than some of my small town friends who've always grown up and lived in the same place. ...On the other hand, I wonder and even worry about ever having a place called home. I know the cope-out answer is to say that heaven is our only true home, and I get that, I feel that, but does that really mean I'll forever be wondering around from one side of the states to the other then across the world never finding a place to settle?

Lots of little worries about that, but that's all I'm saying for right now. Maybe some of the other PKs in here will understand what I'm talking about.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟976,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Grandpa used to say, "Home is where you hang your hat."

I lived in six different places before I left for college. I call one of them home. It wasn't where I lived when I graduated from high school. It wasn't where I was born. It was the place where I formed lasting mutual relationships. In comaprison to some of you I'm a real geezer, but I still talk on the phone, IM, and visit some long-time friends from home.

The effect on me is that as a grown-up, I have no interest in moving. The thought of it is revolting to me. My children lived in the same house and attended the same schools while I was bringing them up. I'm sure that in no small part that is related to what it was like for me to be uprooted so much.

seeking.IAM
<><

Upvote 0

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I know as ppl we can pretty much adjust to whatever we have to deal with, so my guess is home is a personal opinion, because some ppl will say it's wherever you live, others will say it's where you're family is, and some others would say it's where you were born & raised, and really I'm sure the list could keep expanding from there.
I guess really "where's home?" is just a strange question.

Upvote 0

Ivy

Pray for President Barack Obama
Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You could say my experiences as a PK convinced me that home is nowhere on this planet, it's later on......I think I'm getting used to it, feeling sort of homeless & wandering in my soul, after all ,the upside is that you feel much more variety in life. I guess I'm in the process of accepting the fact that life is not a destination, it's a journey.

I was counting up one time--we moved 8 or 9 different times when I was a kid; I was in many more different schools (one year I was in 3 different ones); my dad also changed denominations at least three times that I can think of. The downside of all that is that I don't think I'll ever know how to belong--there must be certain skills or a certain mindset with that, but I don't think I have those. But the upside is: it's really been very.....multicolored, multi-lingual, in a way. I do seem to have the ability to understand many different types of people and to flex with them. And multicolored can be fun--I guess it was God's will & design, so I'm learning to just enjoy it more . :)

Upvote 0

Ivy

Pray for President Barack Obama
Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ohio; Indiana; Oregon; NY; Pennsylvania; NY again; somewhere else in NY; somewhere else again in NY--I went to college--then Ohio again; West Virginia; then NY again, and then my folks have been 4 to 5 other places in NY since that last "again" :)

I, on the other hand, have been residing in the same town and the same house for the past 10 years, which is something of an accomplishment! (But would you believe I'm getting bored? :D :D That moving reflex is asserting itself, time for a change of scene already!! --but I don't think the Lord agrees :D Here I be.)

Upvote 0

Ms.Garnet

Apr 13, 2005
✟16,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear you and I feel your pain - more than you realize. I was not a PK but for other reasons my family moved a zillion times before I graduated. I went to 15 or so schools - it is a wonder I finished. Then , I married a preacher & we have moved at least 30 times . School , churches, between churches, etc. Even though we have been in our present home for 8 yrs. it still doesn't feel like home. It belongs to the church. I encourage you to tell the Lord how you feel - like I feel like a nomad . Ask the Lord if it pleases Him - as you grow up & enter adulthood - to lead you to a future that does not include moving all the time. Now in my case, it did not happen that way, but you can still pray for it . Bless you all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eagle_Wings

Just Your Ordinary Average Everyday Sane Psycho.
Nov 18, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
While home has always been where my family is....the western states have always had a hold on my heart. I was born in California, lived in Florida for 8 months, went back to California until I was 7, then we moved to Indiana for 4 years and have been in Illinois since then. Now in 7 months I'm headed to Denver for schooling. For a while I was contemplating college in Virginia just so I could say that I've been from Coast to Coast, but when I try to figure out the future I really don't see myself being anywhere else then the Colorado, Montana, Wyoming area. For some reason the West has always had a place in my heart as "home."

Upvote 0

dreamer0609

Sep 20, 2006
Malaysia
✟7,667.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
i moved 7 places before i entered university
and settle down in a rented house with my
university pals. my father is a methodist pastor and the system need pastors to lead different churches.
but, aside of being step back in earlier years, i learnt to be more socialized and made friends from many different places where this is the advantages of being a PK.

Upvote 0

Briseis

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2006
✟10,555.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, if there are any Canadians in here, or ppl familiar with Canada, I was born in New Brunswick, then my dad decided to become a pastor when I was 3 and we moved to Alberta to go to school. Then, four years later, he got his first job in Quebec, then two years later we moved to a new church 3 hrs south. Then 5 years later we moved back to New Brunswick, 3 hrs southwest of where I was born. I stayed there for one year then went to a private HS in Ontario. 3 years later I went to the same University as my dad, in Alberta. A year later my family moved to a church in the same town as the University and we are still here. I have moved areas 7 times (including private schools), my family moved areas 6 times, I have changed schools 7 times, and houses 11 times.

It was frustrating in my early teens, but lately it doesnt bother me. Probably because my bf went to the same private HS and University as me (there are the only or one of the only SDA shools in Canada, so we tend to follow each other), so I was not afraid to lose him. When I was younger I went to public schools, and it was all about my friends, so it bothered me to leave. Also, I al quieter now than I was in my early teens, and dont really attach to anyone.

New Brunswick feels like home to me. I am in Alberta now and it is home, but my heart is in New Brunswick, as they say.

Upvote 0

Locket

Speak softly and carry a BIG STICK
Oct 23, 2004
In the Milky Way Galaxy
✟51,839.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
an amazing few they get to grow up and live all in one place

I would be one of those :) I always found that fact extremely wonderful, because I hate being "the New Girl" with a passion. We go to my grandfather's church every December when we visit them for Christmas, and even though we've been there once a year for every year of my life, it still makes me feel very uncomfortable, because I still feel like the "New Girl".
I suppose home would be wherever the rest of my family was, but I'm lucky to call the place I live now home. I love my neighborhood, my house, my church, my friends... everything :)

Upvote 0

EdmundtheJustified

Nov 11, 2006
✟15,258.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm also one of those happy few who have been blessed to stay in one place for many years. I also have the added blessing that my dad has been at the same church since graduating from seminary.

However, I want to be sympathetic with those who for one reason or another have had to move many times. You have the opportunity to serve in many different expressions of Christ's body. I'm not saying it's easy. But the Lord has good things for you, and will make good out of whatever difficulty you are faced with. I speak primarily to those who are going through this turmoil now. I know it's often hard to separate the emotions of leaving from the objectivity of Christ's protective and guiding hand. But you will only find peace through Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TCat

Daily surrender
Mar 23, 2007
usa
✟17,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WOW, This stikes a cord, I am a PK and my family moved 13 times while I was growing up. My husband and I have moved 8 times since. I am an expert in packing a moving van.

I learned to make friends quickly but not get to close because that only led to heartbreak and loss. Thankfully God has led me now to what seems to be a permanent home, at least for now.

My husband and I finally own our own home, we've lived here 8 years and our son and daughter don't know anyplace else.

In all the moving I lost God for a long time,20 years to be exact but He didn't lose track of me. He gave us the home we are in now and led us to a church 3 blocks away which is where we found our faith and new family of Christian brothers and sisters.

Best of all He brought me a family of friends in whom I can laugh with, love and share everything with. Who knew the best friends I could ever have would be found sitting next to me in choir practice!!!

Praise God for not losing track of any of His children.:amen:

TCat

Upvote 0