Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have mental illness and spiritual battles. I stay away from people mostly. I like to create things from metal. It helps me. It's the only luxury I have. It's all I want.

The struggle comes when I want everything. I need to keep it simple and cheap. I don't need the greatest or the most tools. I seek simplicity over complication.

Do you enjoy a hobby?

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟429,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I enjoy a hobby. I don’t know what I would do without it. It’s non stress and I get much joy from it. I like to refresh and do often. Just the right amount of mechanic and chemistry to keep me interested. I have recently found that one of the gadgets I thought I had to replace is still working. I looked everywhere. To tall, too big, from China…. I found something wrong with all the new ones. Was even thinking of quitting that part, casting. Now the one I was given is still serviceable. So God is in there somewhere. I just thank Him. For all my lack of people I can still grow and enjoy and have pleasant time.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I enjoy a hobby. I don’t know what I would do without it. It’s non stress and I get much joy from it. I like to refresh and do often. Just the right amount of mechanic and chemistry to keep me interested. I have recently found that one of the gadgets I thought I had to replace is still working. I looked everywhere. To tall, too big, from China…. I found something wrong with all the new ones. Was even thinking of quitting that part, casting. Now the one I was given is still serviceable. So God is in there somewhere. I just thank Him. For all my lack of people I can still grow and enjoy and have pleasant time.
I don't enjoy the world as I once did. I'm given a hobby that makes me happy though. God is good. Do you cast metal? What other metal working do you do? I have a forge. I do beginner blacksmithing as a hobby

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do a lot of various types of art and mosaics, cooking, gardening, etc. :)
I like gardening. I'm tired lately though. I'm hoping to recover. That and simple metal working is my desire. Everything else is focused on Jesus. Even my hobby is focused on him. I want to forge simple rustic things.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like gardening. I'm tired lately though. I'm hoping to recover. That and simple metal working is my desire. Everything else is focused on Jesus. Even my hobby is focused on him. I want to forge simple rustic things.
What types of things do you do with metal?

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What types of things do you do with metal?
A little welding and forging. Things like the cross in the video. I heed to make one of these. I gave up my hobby for a while when I went though some difficult things.

But now I want to enjoy it again. Before my mind couldn't he happy unless it had the best and the most tools. I repented of that thinking however and now I keep simple

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟429,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't enjoy the world as I once did. I'm given a hobby that makes me happy though. God is good. Do you cast metal? What other metal working do you do? I have a forge. I do beginner blacksmithing as a hobby

Just a little casting. Blacksmithing takes some strength. When you say you have a forge, do you mean a hammer?
I do things that I like and the strength comes later. But I guess these are my gifts and the enjoyment…well I guess it’s ok with God. No sense having a boring problem with something.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A little welding and forging. Things like the cross in the video. I heed to make one of these. I gave up my hobby for a while when I went though some difficult things.

But now I want to enjoy it again. Before my mind couldn't he happy unless it had the best and the most tools. I repented of that thinking however and now I keep simple

I’ve always wanted to learn how to weld.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just a little casting. Blacksmithing takes some strength. When you say you have a forge, do you mean a hammer?
I do things that I like and the strength comes later. But I guess these are my gifts and the enjoyment…well I guess it’s ok with God. No sense having a boring problem with something.
A forge heats the steal. I use a burner like you probably use for melting metal. Mine only heats the metal so I can shape it on an anvil with a hammer. It does take strength and I am weak. I'll keep it simple and light duty and I will build back my strength I hope. God willing.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

DJWhalen

Do your best and let God do the rest.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟17,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican

The video is great I love the cross!

Reactions: HopeSings
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a great welder but its fun if you dont mind burns from cutting, welding and grinding steel. I'm not very safe and I get burned.
I make recycled pieces out of found or broken objects. Welding would come in very handy for larger pieces.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I make recycled pieces out of found or broken objects. Welding would come in very handy for larger pieces.
Yes. Give it a try. Take a class from a teacher if you can. If not then youtube can be useful. I've considered the art that you talk about. I want to weld things together like that as well.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are different kinds of welding processes. I use a MIG welder with Flux core wire. It's easy and cheap.

TIG welding is anither welding machine and its nice. You can weld aluminum soda cans together with it. I don't use a TIG welder though.

Stick welding is another form of welder. It's called SMAW.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes. Give it a try. Take a class from a teacher if you can. If not then youtube can be useful. I've considered the art that you talk about. I want to weld things together like that as well.
I was going to take lessons from a man through the art gallery but I he moved out of town so nothing ever became of it.

Reactions: HopeSings
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,608.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and now I keep simple
A hundred and ten years ago my father as a teenager self taught himself these skills, primarily for horseshoes but also other necessities on the pioneer farm of his father. I remember as a child seeing the forge and tools set aside and rusting, a victim of time and convenience just as we experience today with digitalization. Admirable that you have revived the skill, even in a simplistic form.

Upvote 0