Midwest
✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Good deal! Christmas time gets very hectic. I'm glad your daughter took you shopping.

I remember having some Little Golden Books as a child. Used to see some at garage sales. I think the old ones have become collectible.

My mom quilted until the arthritis in her hands became too bad. I've got a closet full of them and use them as bed spreads. Hand-quilting has become a lost art.
My daughter is s perfect knitter! She totally amazes me and others. I love quilts though I never quilted. I did a ton of counted cross stitch.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

13-foot alligator spotted with human remains in its mouth in Florida canal

The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office is investigating to learn the identity of the person and said the gator was "humanely killed."

Where I grew up!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's heavenly weather for weeding, etc. I just wish I had never planted Russian sage. It has invaded my cranesbill and I can't get rid of it unless I get rid of the cranesbill(Geranium sanguineum) that I LOVE! :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What’s on my mind……..should I semi retire next year and fill my part time hours with volunteering to help others…..ultimately doing Gods work?

Im 51, have very little financial obligations and feel it’s time for a new direction away from business, that has always been about helping others to make profit. I have helped people where I work with mentoring etc, but I’m talking about helping people who are homeless, hungry, need care………….I’m getting very strong feelings that this should be my next step, giving me balance and a dedication to love, kindness, compassion and care.

This is Gods work and I feel it’s time to make a plan……I am at the mercy of God, he owns me, his path for me is the only path and I can’t help feel this is the Holy Spirit guiding me?

I could get a job earning enough to pay my bills say 3 days a week and then volunteer for 2?

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's heavenly weather for weeding, etc. I just wish I had never planted Russian sage. It has invaded my cranesbill and I can't get rid of it unless I get rid of the cranesbill(Geranium sanguineum) that I LOVE! :(

That's a shame. I used to love Russian sage but can never find it anywhere other than catalogs.

We have no weeds at the moment. Or grass. Or much of anything else. The heat and drought have turned our world mostly brown save for the trees, which are almost leafless. So I've been slowly working on the back yard for next spring. I have three raised garden beds in place so far and am slowly filling them. They're only 12 inches high so it won't be too bad. I'm doing the Hugelkultur method. Putting down mulch in some areas.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What’s on my mind……..should I semi retire next year and fill my part time hours with volunteering to help others…..ultimately doing Gods work?

Im 51, have very little financial obligations and feel it’s time for a new direction away from business, that has always been about helping others to make profit. I have helped people where I work with mentoring etc, but I’m talking about helping people who are homeless, hungry, need care………….I’m getting very strong feelings that this should be my next step, giving me balance and a dedication to love, kindness, compassion and care.

This is Gods work and I feel it’s time to make a plan……I am at the mercy of God, he owns me, his path for me is the only path and I can’t help feel this is the Holy Spirit guiding me?

I could get a job earning enough to pay my bills say 3 days a week and then volunteer for 2?

If you feel this is the direction God is leading you, and you feel you can financially take the step, then I'd say go for it.

Do you currently volunteer while still working full time? If not you might start out at a few hours a week and see how that works out. There are many places that need volunteers at odd hours, or to fill in when others don't show up. My husband did that for years at a local interfaith ministry, increasing his hours after he retired. He still tries to volunteer there when he's able, and if he can't do that then we gather food supplies and deliver them to the ministry.

Volunteerism has many forms. If you have the means, then go where your heart and God are leading you.

Reactions: Beslowtoanger
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No. Do you see it? I'm confused.

I finally found the place to "disable holiday styling", which I know did once a long time ago. The hats and beer mugs are gone now. And no... I'm not crazy and wasn't seeing things. :rolleyes: I wish I knew what they were celebrating though.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Got a summons for jury duty beginning October 16. I really don't look forward to it but I know it's both a duty and responsibility. I've gone three or four times in the past and never been picked or was released because the case was settled. My husband was called last year and was home within an hour and didn't have to go back. Sigh. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟429,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last Sunday I felt a little bit far from God. So I prayed and tried then and I felt better. I felt the warmth and His zeal and I wrote. It went really well when I read it to a few people. I had been struggling for six days, stayed I prayer and study.. I was not about leaving Him. I was being patient in testing. I find God wants to do one of my request once in a while. Let’s me know I’m doing enough.

But a long that line, I didn’t feel like there had been enough opportunities to do for people anything. Feeling like more good works I wanted to do. I prayed, I became mindful. A hitch hiker here, grabbing a door for someone, help a friend move furniture, talk more, stop thinking I’m retired, remembering errands for my wife. Just a little bit more effort to please the God of all comfort.

He LL help you be in your comfort zone with the things you like to do. I see people doing big things and getting in volved , me just doing a little. And especially a kind word to thpose who need a meal. I surprise myself sometimes after the thought process and staying positive and ‘I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me.’

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Are all you seniors napping? Is there nothing on your minds?

The state of our country, the moral state of our people. And the coming holidays, which I think highlight the problems of the previous two and how we've become a nation of materialism and greed more so than one of charity and generosity and compassion. Where what we want becomes the obsession, rather than what we need. Where it's easier to ignore people with a frown or by staring at a cell phone rather than take the initiative and offer a smile and a comment. Where ours might be the only kind word a person receives during the day. I could go on but won't. :)

I guess those thoughts come from the sermon given by our interim pastor yesterday, from Matthew 6. Don't lay up treasures on earth.... for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. He made the statement that what we talk about and where we go says what's most important to us. That's very thought provoking in this day and age.

Pumpkin pies. I finally tried an Amish pumpkin pie and didn't like it. It did not look or taste like pumpkin!

Was Amish the name brand, or was it baked from an Amish recipe? What did it look and taste like? The Amish, like everyone else, have various recipes for pumpkin pies. I know some don't use pumpkin pie spices, which would make a big difference.

As a personal preference I'd rather have sweet potato pie!

• Winner
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He LL help you be in your comfort zone with the things you like to do. I see people doing big things and getting in volved , me just doing a little. And especially a kind word to thpose who need a meal. I surprise myself sometimes after the thought process and staying positive and ‘I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me.’

You're a kind person Unqualified. Keep doing what you're doing.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you do." (Joshua 1:9)

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0