What wine did you enjoy lately?

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟97,099.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday I had a red wine in a Greek restaurant.
The wine was named "Melina".
But as far as I know there is no grape variety by the name of "Melina".
I am always interested to know the grape variety.
But with the Greek wine you often only know the firm that makes it or sells it.
That seems to be all the Greeks are interested in.
If Germany followed the Greek example, then our wines would have names like: ALDI, LIDL, Kaufland, or Meyer, Müller, Schmidt.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟454,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While we enjoy quite a few of the European grape based wines, we have recently been discovering a very Southern US cultural wine which is based on Muscadine grapes. Those grapes can make both dry and sweet wines, but inherently are best for sweet ones. Seeing someone mentioned cotton candy wine, one of the largest Muscadine wineries has a few of those which I've linked.

I will say those particular wines tend to be "love it or hate it" among most people, and also if you try muscadine wines, you have to treat them as totally different from the European grape wines. They share the name "wine" but are entirely different in flavor, tannins, and every other way. I do really like Duplin's "Carolina Red" and they had a great Christmas Wine which is now out of season (but I still have a couple of bottles).

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟454,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had more Chardonnay tonight :D Moscato is probably my favorite though, it's basically pop.
I have a bottle of Moscato in the fridge from Shelton winery in the Yadkin Valley of North Carolina. I have not tried it yet, but will soon.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟97,099.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I will say those particular wines tend to be "love it or hate it" among most people, and also if you try muscadine wines, you have to treat them as totally different from the European grape wines. They share the name "wine" but are entirely different in flavor, tannins, and every other way. I do really like Duplin's "Carolina Red" and they had a great Christmas Wine which is now out of season (but I still have a couple of bottles).

I have such a grape plant in my own garden.
Named Isabella or Concord.

Reactions: WolfGate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟454,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today was a Mother Vine Muscadine. Named Mother Vine because the grapes are from the “Mother Vine”, a 400-year-old muscadine vine on Roanoke Island, considered the country’s oldest cultivated grapevine. Very yummy. Tasted smoother and more mature than other muscadine wines I have had. Was that real, or just psychological? Hmm.

Reactions: Red Gold
Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟97,099.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Today was a Mother Vine Muscadine. Named Mother Vine because the grapes are from the “Mother Vine”, a 400-year-old muscadine vine on Roanoke Island, considered the country’s oldest cultivated grapevine. Very yummy. Tasted smoother and more mature than other muscadine wines I have had. Was that real, or just psychological? Hmm.
I am interested in both Muscadine Vines and wines! :)

Upvote 0