Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Holy See announced last week the resignation of Bishop Harrie Smeets of the Diocese of Roermond in the Netherlands.

Bishop Harrie Smeets. (Image via Diocese of Roermond.)

While the Vatican’s Aug. 10 bulletin didn’t give any reason for the 62-year old stepping down, Bishop Smeets previously released a letter to his diocese, announcing that he would be stepping back from ministry for health reasons, following his diagnosis of a brain tumor in 2021.

Smeets’ health, the diocese has since confirmed, has been in decline for some time. While the bishop had continued to travel and visit parishes, his ability to celebrate daily Mass suffered, and he has required more and more rest as his condition has deteriorated.

The bishop’s health has now deteriorated to the point where he is no longer able to receive visitors, the diocese has confirmed.

While Bishop Smeets is in the prayers of his diocese, his situation is unusual because when he announced his decision to step back from ministry, in an July 9 letter, Smeets did not actually announce he would be resigning.

Instead, Smeets attempted to declare that his episcopal see was impeded — a canonical legal status meaning the bishop was prevented from governing his diocese by external circumstances, but would remain the diocesan bishop.

“This decision does not mean that I am stepping down, but that I am taking a significant step back,” Smeets wrote, as he cited the relevant canon law for an impeded see.

“I will remain your bishop until the end of my life, but my illness prevents me from fulfilling that duty.”

The Holy See did not accept Smeets’ decision. Instead, after speaking to the apostolic nuncio, Smeets opted instead to resign.

But what is an impeded see, exactly? And what happens when a bishop is unable to fulfill the obligations of his office?

The Pillar explains.

Continued below.

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟44,269.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Canterbury in England is impeded - since 1559 it has been occupied by Anglican usurpers, so no Catholic Archbishop of Canterbury can be appointed.

During the Arian Crisis, many Catholic sees were impeded, and held instead by Arians. The Arian Auxentius was bishop of Milan from about 355 to 374, when St Ambrose succeeded him.

Upvote 0