Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pope Francis has named Father Reynaldo Bersabal as an auxiliary bishop of the Diocese of Sacramento, California.

The Vatican announced on Saturday that the priest ordained in the Philippines and incardinated into the Sacramento Diocese in 2004 will be consecrated as a bishop.

“I am grateful to His Holiness and honored to have my brother, Bishop-elect Rey Bersabal, as a co-worker for the Episcopal ministry in this favored part of the Lord’s vineyard,” Bishop Jaime Soto of the Diocese of Sacramento said in a Saturday statementon the diocese’s website.

“Bishop-elect Rey came as an immigrant priest bringing the rich cultural heritage of the Filipino people,” Soto continued. “He became part of a presbyterate and people that is a global Catholic kaleidoscope of faith and charity radiating the historic credal customs from Portugal, Italy, Ireland, China, Poland, Africa, and more. Bishop-elect Rey has learned a lot and given much during his 25 years as a priest in Sacramento.”

Continued below.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟161,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pope Francis has named Father Reynaldo Bersabal as an auxiliary bishop of the Diocese of Sacramento, California.

The Vatican announced on Saturday that the priest ordained in the Philippines and incardinated into the Sacramento Diocese in 2004 will be consecrated as a bishop.

“I am grateful to His Holiness and honored to have my brother, Bishop-elect Rey Bersabal, as a co-worker for the Episcopal ministry in this favored part of the Lord’s vineyard,” Bishop Jaime Soto of the Diocese of Sacramento said in a Saturday statementon the diocese’s website.

“Bishop-elect Rey came as an immigrant priest bringing the rich cultural heritage of the Filipino people,” Soto continued. “He became part of a presbyterate and people that is a global Catholic kaleidoscope of faith and charity radiating the historic credal customs from Portugal, Italy, Ireland, China, Poland, Africa, and more. Bishop-elect Rey has learned a lot and given much during his 25 years as a priest in Sacramento.”

Continued below.
It is good that California is getting an Asian bishop. We need more Catholics that are from different parts of the world. Whenever I think of the word bishop, I think of an older white guy, such as the one pictured below.

Image credit: Bp. Noonan of Florida, from Ireland
1713646925453.jpeg

Here is a short paraphrased summary of Bp. Jaime Soto's April 20, 2024 statement:

Bishop Jaime Soto of the Diocese of Sacramento expresses his thanks to Pope Francis for choosing one of Sacramento's priests, Bishop-elect Rey Bersabal, to serve as a bishop in the dynamic and diverse community of God in Northern CA. Bishop-elect Rey brings with him the heritage of the Filipino people as a sacerdotal member and part of the international Catholic community.

Bishop-elect Rey cherishes his brother priests and is loved by them in return, contributing to the unity among bishops, priests, and deacons that fosters communion among all faithful with the sole heart and mind of Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It is good that California is getting an Asian bishop. We need more Catholics that are from different parts of the world. Whenever I think of the word bishop, I think of an older white guy, such as the one pictured below.

Image credit: Bp. Noonan of Florida, from Ireland
View attachment 346272

Here is a short paraphrased summary of Bp. Jaime Soto's April 20, 2024 statement:

Bishop Jaime Soto of the Diocese of Sacramento expresses his thanks to Pope Francis for choosing one of Sacramento's priests, Bishop-elect Rey Bersabal, to serve as a bishop in the dynamic and diverse community of God in Northern CA. Bishop-elect Rey brings with him the heritage of the Filipino people as a sacerdotal member and part of the international Catholic community.

Bishop-elect Rey cherishes his brother priests and is loved by them in return, contributing to the unity among bishops, priests, and deacons that fosters communion among all faithful with the sole heart and mind of Christ Jesus.
May God raise up many more priests and religious throughout Ireland :prayer:

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟161,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
May God raise up many more priests and religious throughout Ireland :prayer:
Well, Bp. Noonan is Irish, but he moved to the USA as an 18 year old (Biography). Yes, I did research on one of the first results of bishops that popped up on Google search that looked like the stereotypical older white guy. But yes, may God raise more priests in Ireland, that stay in Ireland to help bring more Irish folks to Christ.

Ooh, Bp. Noonan is the official Bishop of the Moon, Earth's natural satellite, due to an obscure 1917 code of Canon Law in the Catholic church: The Catholic Church Officially Has A Moon Bishop

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Well, Bp. Noonan is Irish, but he moved to the USA as an 18 year old (Biography). Yes, I did research on one of the first results of bishops that popped up on Google search that looked like the stereotypical older white guy. But yes, may God raise more priests in Ireland, that stay in Ireland to help bring more Irish folks to Christ.
Amen! May God save Ireland! :prayer:

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0