tkster

Jun 6, 2004
Lubbock
Visit site
✟263.00
Faith
Christian
SIXDAYCREATIONIST said:
one of my friends calls it "Intelligent Design Theory" and i have to say that i like that name better. so when people ask me if i am a creationist i say, no, i am an intelligent design theorist.
Haha, that is so me. Yes I coined the term "Intelligent Design Theorist." As for other people calling themselves that, people could technically call themselves Creationists, but they aren't. My point is simple, the earth is young, made in 6 days, and the Bible is accurate. That is an Intelligent Design Theorist.

tk

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
LynneClomina said:
i am a YEC literalist, and i think that should be the definition of "creationist" for this forum.

i dont yet understand the different between TE and OEC. i dont consider either of them to be "literal". :)
Let me help you there. OECs do not believe that biodiversity is the result of evolution. TEs do.

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
LynneClomina said:
i am a YEC literalist, and i think that should be the definition of "creationist" for this forum.

i dont yet understand the different between TE and OEC. i dont consider either of them to be "literal". :)
OECs believe the Hebrew word used for "day" in Genesis refers to a "period of time of indeterminate length" which it can (and often is) accurately be used to do. Many say that the inclusion of "and the evening and the morning" determines it to be a 24 hour day. Basically, OECs believe it was done exactly as Genesis says, just that instead of six 24 hour days, it was 6 indeterminately long "days."

TEs on the other hand pretty much believe the universe and life occured the same way that athiestic evolutionists do except that God chose that method to bring life into existence. They also do not believe that Adam and Eve were real people, large parts of the Bible are just allegory and that the soul is an emergent property of an advanced brain. Many believe that some animals have rudimentary souls.

Upvote 0

Vance

Contributor
Jul 16, 2003
✟23,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
tkster said:
Haha, that is so me. Yes I coined the term "Intelligent Design Theorist." As for other people calling themselves that, people could technically call themselves Creationists, but they aren't. My point is simple, the earth is young, made in 6 days, and the Bible is accurate. That is an Intelligent Design Theorist.

tk
Wait a second here. Are actually claiming to have coined the term "Intelligent Design"?!! I really, really want to know if you think you came up with this term.

Upvote 0

Alchemist

Seeking in Orthodoxy
Jun 13, 2004
✟16,244.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am a tad confused with the Intelligent Design label? I agree that Young Earth Creationism would be a form of Intelligent Design (which I assume means that the Earth was designed and did not just randomly come into existance?), but I don't think the two are equal. Old Earth Creationism, Gap Theory, and I'd say most forms of Theistic Evolution could also be classed as Intelligent Design :).

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
forgivensinner001 said:
TEs on the other hand pretty much believe the universe and life occured the same way that athiestic evolutionists do except that God chose that method to bring life into existence. They also do not believe that Adam and Eve were real people,
There are TE's that believe Adam and Eve were real people. It is pretty clear from the Bible that they were. The genologys are in the NT.

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
JohnR7 said:
There are TE's that believe Adam and Eve were real people. It is pretty clear from the Bible that they were. The genologys are in the NT.
But most TEs don't interpret the Bible literally and take the majority of Genesis as allegory and don't believe that Adam and Eve were real. I'm sure some do believe they were but most TEs I've talked with don't.

Also, my definition of OEC would include a "TE" who believes that all life evolved, then God created man specially rather than letting him evolve from lower primates. I guess a lot of it depends on how you define the terms. Technically TEs are Creationists as they believe God created the universe. They just believe he used a more leisurely pace and process than YECs. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As a Creationist I believe that the Gospel is inextricably linked to the creation of the world in six literal days by the speaking of words. That the divine attributes and eternal nature of God are both evident and obvious to every human being, since it is reflected in nature, leaving us without an excuse. I believe that nothing in the natural sciences offers anything that can contradict this and welcome any invitation to explore the workings of the natural world as an expression of faith.

I believe that the Bible is the sacred, undiluted, immutable Word of God and that the special creation and divine providence of Holy God is evident in the created universe.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
forgivensinner001 said:
But most TEs don't interpret the Bible literally and take the majority of Genesis as allegory and don't believe that Adam and Eve were real.
If they do not believe that Adam and Eve were real people that lived about 6000 years ago, then they do not know their Bible. How can they understand God's plan of redemption if they do not understand the work God did when He created Adam and Eve and placed them in the Garden of Eden?

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
herev said:
Here's one:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Do you believe that God literally created Adam from dust and breathed life into him or that Adam evolved from lower forms? I would have no problem accepting that God used evolution as a means for the earth to "bring forth" life. It would make me uncomfortable, however, to think that Adam was just an intelligent ape whose soul had developed over time as his brain became more advanced.

How do you believe Adam was created? Did God create him specially or did He pick a primate and insert a soul or did He decide one day that this hominid was advanced enough to be called man? Or is there another option.

I hope this doesn't sound argumentative, I'd really like to hear what you believe, I'm just running late for work and don't have time to word it carefully. ;)

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
forgivensinner001 said:
Do you believe that God literally created Adam from dust and breathed life into him or that Adam evolved from lower forms?
I believe in Theistic Evolution, so I believe that God used evolution to get the life form that is human. I believe that the first humans (those with the capability to comprehend God) were Adam and Eve.

forgivensinner001 said:
I would have no problem accepting that God used evolution as a means for the earth to "bring forth" life.
good

forgivensinner001 said:
It would make me uncomfortable, however, to think that Adam was just an intelligent ape whose soul had developed over time as his brain became more advanced.
That's not exactly what I believe, but I understand what your saying and accept your beliefs. They are, however, different (only slightly) from mine.

forgivensinner001 said:
How do you believe Adam was created?
see above

forgivensinner001 said:
Did God create him specially
Well, yes--but I think He used evolution to do so.

forgivensinner001 said:
or did He pick a primate and insert a soul
Nah, that would be silly, to think God would play a game akin to pin the tail on the donkey.

forgivensinner001 said:
or did He decide one day that this hominid was advanced enough to be called man?
That's my take on it. Though as a TE, I believe he didn't merely "decide" one day--he had a plan--from the very beginning--and knew when that day would be that Adam had arrived.

forgivensinner001 said:
Or is there another option.
I'm sure there are many other options;) .

forgivensinner001 said:
I hope this doesn't sound argumentative, I'd really like to hear what you believe, I'm just running late for work and don't have time to word it carefully.

No problem, have a good day.:wave:
Tommy

Upvote 0

PotLuck

May 5, 2002
Visit site
✟408.00
Faith
Christian
Creationism: Holding to the principles of the non-evolving Word of God.

The Word is my rock. There are biblical issues addressed that by my very nature I will resist. The book of James does nothing for my ego. The moral standards set forth by The Creator does nothing to appease persecution living within a society based on ever-increasing tolerance levels.
We speak of mutations either losing information to create something not quite the same as the original or a gain of information to create another kind of creature, a class unto itself, that no longer resembles the original. There are many that choose to place options within the Word of God creating an allowance to pick and choose to satisfy a desire or hunger. I pay my one time fee, grab a plate, look over the food that's on display and choose what I feel my diet requires or what tastes good abandoning nutrition in favor of what pleases the palate.
There are religions that tote the bible as scripture but make additions such as another gospel to evolve into another kind or type of belief system unalike the original. There are religions that completely ignore information evolving into a belief system that no longer recognises the birth of Christ as a glorious event.

I'm very familiar with a religion that chooses the option not to take the following verses literally.

|v1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
|v2 The same was in the beginning with God.
(NewT:John 1:1-2)

By a single option Jesus is degraded from God to a personage unto His own. A very fundemental and essential attribute of Jesus's diety is cast out and ignored as fallacy. By one option to ignore the redeemptive grace of Jesus Christ a belief system becomes works-oriented or man-centered instead of Christ-centered. The option to take only a part of truth, loss of information, to make it easier to swallow instead of the full dose does the body little good.

The tolerance to accept one option makes it easier to accept another. Through option and choice the mutation of God's Word becomes less than the original or something that no longer resembles that from which it came.

"and the Word was God"
And He is my Rock. The Word is my foundation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
cajunhillbilly said:
I tend to be a creationist who is undecided on the age of the earth. :wave: I could go either way on YEC vs OEC. Am I allowed here? :confused:

You are welcome here cajunhillbilly. You are a creationist, hence this is your forum too!

Those who disgree are also welcome to post, but must be respectful of the general consensus here, and not debate in favour of evolution.

If anyone wants to do that, there are other places on CF to do so, and we can all interact there.

Blessings, Susana

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
herev said:
I believe in Theistic Evolution, so I believe that God used evolution to get the life form that is human. I believe that the first humans (those with the capability to comprehend God) were Adam and Eve.

I find this theory interesting.
It doesn't get mentioned often; do you think many hold it?

It's an attractive idea in some ways, but means Adam and Eve must have been born and raised by soul-less, sub-human beasts.
The "yuk" factor gets to me here!

Upon finding themselves to be the only two beings with a spirit in touch with God, radically different from their parents, siblings, society in general, they must have had a tough time. Maybe they even had to leave all they knew.

I can't make it work out somehow. I don't want to start a debate - I just realised I might well be doing so! :eek:

Should I start a new thread, and if so where?
Then will someone then say I can't lift a comment out of here and put it into a debate elsewhere?
:scratch: :help:

God bless, Susana

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.