What information does the Bible give us about what hell is like?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟187,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible makes it clear that no amount of works can satisfy God, and that he requires belief in him.

So does a man who many would say lived a moral life, helped others, and donated his life savings, but wasn't a believer in Jesus be burning in hell just as badly as Hitler would?

I have heard some argue that hell is experienced differently depending on the sins committed. I am looking for evidence of that claim.

In society people are punished in different severities depending on the crime, I don't know if God works the same way, because man and God are different, but who knows.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟926,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Bible makes it clear that no amount of works can satisfy God, and that he requires belief in him.

So does a man who many would say lived a moral life, helped others, and donated his life savings, but wasn't a believer in Jesus be burning in hell just as badly as Hitler would?
John calls hell - the "lake of fire" in Rev 20. It burns with fire and brimstone according to Rev 14 and it comes down out of heaven from God according to Rev 20.

Luke 12 says that punishment is proportional to what a person knows and does.
Rev 20 says they are judged "According to their deeds" written in the books of heaven.
I have heard some argue that hell is experienced differently depending on the sins committed. I am looking for evidence of that claim.
Some burn longer than others - so then some suffer more than others.

Luke 12:
45 But if that servant says in his heart, ‘My master is delaying his coming,’ and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and be drunk, 46 the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. 47 And that servant who knew his master’s will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.

instead of "infinite for all"

In society people are punished in different severities depending on the crime,
Indeed - justice rather than unjust punishment.

==========================

Lucifer -- who then became Satan of course - was the "covering Cherub" in heaven - perfect when he was created until he sinned.

He will suffer more than they all since he has more guilt to his name.

‘Thus says the Lord God:

“You were the seal of perfection,
Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God;
Every precious stone was your covering:
The sardius, topaz, and diamond,
Beryl, onyx, and jasper,
Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold.
The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes
Was prepared for you on the day you were created.

14 “You were the anointed cherub who covers;
I established you;
You were on the holy mountain of God;
You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones.
15 You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created,
Till iniquity was found in you.

16 “By the abundance of your trading
You became filled with violence within,
And you sinned;
Therefore I cast you as a profane thing
Out of the mountain of God;
And I destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the fiery stones.

17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor;
I cast you to the ground,
I laid you before kings,
That they might gaze at you.

18 “You defiled your sanctuaries
By the multitude of your iniquities,
By the iniquity of your trading;
Therefore I brought fire from your midst;
It devoured you,
And I turned you to ashes upon the earth
In the sight of all who saw you.
19 All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you;
You have become a horror,
And shall be no more forever.” ’ ”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,941,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...does a man who many would say lived a moral life, helped others, and donated his life savings, but wasn't a believer in Jesus be burning in hell just as badly as Hitler would?
Hi John, no, justice would not be served if that was the case. The Bible tells us that punishments for the reprobate, as well rewards (or the lack thereof) for the saints, will be meted out in accordance with what each person has done (or failed to do) during their lives here.

This may be helpful: Are there different levels of punishment in hell? | GotQuestions.org

Gotta go right now, but I hope to return a bit later (Dv).

God bless you!!

--David

• Winner
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟930,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
StWorm couldn't have said it any better. There are various degrees of punishment based on what a person has done in their lives . The book of Revelation says that the lost dead are going to be punished "according to what they've done from the book of the dead (Rev 20:12 )" the book of the dead contains a predetermined record of a person's life as David wrote about the book and its purpose in Psalm 139:16.

While the punishment for the lost will be great there will be some who suffer less than others.So beware those of you who "want" to go to hell and since there's only one punishment and there's only one lake of fire so it doesn't matter how much I sin or how I live my life when the reality is, everybody that lives a lifestyle of sin is going to regret it, whether now when Christ can be fleed to and later when he shuts the door permanently so all of the goats can be punished for what they did.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0