What does society really hope to gain from our prison system?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,736,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In 2017, April was officially declared “Second Chance Month,” a time set aside for criminal justice reform advocates and policymakers to rethink approaches and best practices surrounding mass incarceration and the criminal justice system. Most practically, this month begs the question: What does society really hope to gain from our prison system?

As we turn our attention toward the 1.2 million incarcerated men and women in this country, I am reminded of the 200,000 individuals currently serving life sentences, many of whom are being given a second chance in an unconventional way, men like Chris Bernaiche.

Currently, Chris Bernaiche is serving two life sentences for a double homicide he committed more than two decades ago. However, Chris no longer recognizes the man guilty of the crimes he once committed. In the early days of his prison stint, Chris describes himself as “angry and violent,” resulting in two years of solitary confinement. But after embracing a new-found faith in Christ, Chris transformed his life through education by signing up to take college classes while serving time in prison.

After a transformative few years investing in his own education, Chris now serves as an academic tutor, mentors men enrolled in his prison’s auto mechanic shop, plays the guitar at the prison’s chapel service, and, this May, will receive his bachelor’s degree with honors through the Calvin Prison Initiative.

“I don’t even recognize the guy who committed those crimes more than 20 years ago,” Chris shared. “I’m not that guy anymore.”

Continued below.